Requesting a Teaching

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
TashiBob4671

Requesting a Teaching

Post by TashiBob4671 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:11 am

Hello All!

I have had great trouble in contacting teachers and requesting teachings from them. I don't know what it is. I've been wanting to practice Chod for a while now and I've contacted a couple of teachers on this regard to no avail, no reply. Also, I've gotten permission to receive something from His Holiness Chetsang Rinpoche and since I've gotten permission, I've been trying to get in contact with Him as well but, again, to no avail. I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong.

I'm a simple student for a living and cannot make if to such far away places and cannot afford to overseas or really out of state to receive such grandiose teachings that I wish to receive. And I definitely cannot host such teachings where I am.

I am grateful to Garchen Rinpoche for His recorded teachings and empowerments. His vast Bodhicitta and Wisdom makes His recorded teachings just as powerful as if I were there in person, with the right faith, of course.

But again, I do have a somewhat troubling time getting into contact with the people that I wish to talk to. Any advice for requesting a teaching?

Thank you. Tashi Delek!

Ayu
Former staff member

Re: Requesting a Teaching

Post by Ayu » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:01 am

Hello Tashi,
I moved your topic to the section "Tibetan Buddhism". So hopefully you can get some good advice here.
Maybe you like to share in which area you live, so people can give better hints to teachers in your neighborhood.

When I wanted to start Chod, I perceived more hindrances than usually. They are not always a sign for something going wrong. Sometimes they just teach to keep on searching.
May you be guided by Dharma himself. :namaste:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

TashiBob4671

Post by TashiBob4671 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks for moving my question, Ayu! I'm in northeastern Florida at the moment Jacksonville to be more specific. There's a wonderful Karma Thegsum Chöling here and is where I received refuge but I haven't see many teachers come through here. The resident lama travels to groups that doesn't have a lama to teach and I believe it's a great endeavor.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche is coming to Tampa in August for the Kalachakra Teachings and empowerment so I'm really hoping to be able to ask him before hand.

But I am glad to know that others have had obstacles to their Chöd Practice as well. XD Just gotta be patient, I suppose.

ngodrup

Post by ngodrup » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:51 pm

Who is co-ordinating the tour?
Talk to that person.

TashiBob4671

Post by TashiBob4671 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:13 am

ngodrup wrote:Who is co-ordinating the tour?
Talk to that person.
You know I haven't thought of that. I'll try it! Thanks for the suggestion, Ngodrup.

Konchok Namgyal

Post by Konchok Namgyal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Tashibob,

It perhaps is not so much of an obstacle to receive Chod teachings.
It really should be transmitted Teacher to student, so I would tell you to keep looking for someone.
also it sometimes is not given to a beginning practitioner.
Kusulu is a beautiful practice if done properly, But I cannot stress enough that it must be taught properly, as even the melodies are considered sacred.
Recognize that your mind is the unity of being empty and cognizant, suffused with knowing. When your attention is extroverted, you fall under the sway of thoughts. Let your attention recognize itself. Recognize that it is empty. That which recognizes is the cognizance. You can trust at that moment that these two – emptiness and cognizance – are an original unity. Seeing this is called self-knowing wakefulness. ~ Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

smcj

Post by smcj » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:51 pm

TashiBob4671 wrote:
ngodrup wrote:Who is co-ordinating the tour?
Talk to that person.
You know I haven't thought of that. I'll try it! Thanks for the suggestion, Ngodrup.
Offer to help with the events/logistics. That will get 'in'.

Unfortunately you'll see the inevitable friction that comes with samsaric people trying to work together, but in all likelihood your own defilements are just as much a part of that mix as everybody else's. Plus you may or may not feel comfortable with a given teacher. That's ok, there are others. Just like finding a mate you've got to sort through a lot of different candidates before you find the right one (ones/plural in the context of dharma teachers).
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

bryandavis

Post by bryandavis » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Greetings,

Regarding the op. I think what has been said about contacting those who organize events in the u.s. with regards to visiting teachers is on point.

To give another point of view...

If you go to India, visit Jangchub Ling in Dera Dun. When hh chetsang rinpoche is there it is very easy to get a private audience with him. He had an open audience schedule on every Thursday I believe. He is the head of the lineage so you can't expect to be able to Just email him / his contacts from another contenent and get a hold if him that easy.

For example, hh the karmapa, very rare and difficult to get an audience in person during upcoming u.s. tour I'm sure. However , again , to gyutek monastery in dharamsala, so easy to get a private audience.

The effort also has to come from our side to meet and connect.
We are too comfortable in the information age and expect a phone call or email to do the trick.

You can definetly meet who you need when you do not give up and exert he effort from your side.

All the best,
Bryan

TashiBob4671

Post by TashiBob4671 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:36 am

Thank you all for the great advice! I will definitely try to get the Chöd empowerments. The closest thing I've gotten to anything is permission to read the Chöd Practice Manual and Commentary by the 14th Karmapa and Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye. This has greatly strengthened my resolve to practice it. In a way, and I hope I don't sound too...presumptuous for lack of a better word, it feels familiar. Like watching a movie that you watched as a child and forgot.

As to HH Chetsang Rinpoche, I will exert as much effort as needed and do whatever it takes in order to meet him eventually. I do recognize that being a religious leader would make him quite busy. It's a hectic time in my life right now but, with good faith, I can accomplish my goal.

Thank you all! Tashi Delek!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”