Bodhi seed malas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Sennin
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by Sennin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:11 am

https://www.dharmashop.com/products/tra ... bodhi-mala

Would like to hear thoughts or opinions on the mala beads in the link.
Go no paradigm! ;)

dzoki
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by dzoki » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:06 am

KrisW wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:11 am
https://www.dharmashop.com/products/tra ... bodhi-mala

Would like to hear thoughts or opinions on the mala beads in the link.
Not a good mala, the beads are cut. Dharmashop.com mostly sells useless esotheric junk.

amanitamusc
Posts: 980
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by amanitamusc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:04 pm

I have a Bodhi mala with the beads cut on two sides .It works really well.

This one is cut on one side and I would think it would be a bit awkward to use.

Ogaf
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by Ogaf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 pm

Reading around a bit, it seems that one of the species of phoenix eye seed mentioned in the article posted by Kunzang is wrong.
Apparently Ziziphus abyssinica is only found in Africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziziphus_abyssinica.
There is one that occurs in India called Ziziphus mauritiana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziziphus_mauritiana

The species of seed that is the recommended one for bodhi seed malas was only recognised as a separate species quite recently and was named Ziziphus budhensis.
Here is an article about the species:

http://www.cibtech.org/J-Plant-Sciences ... ALAYAS.pdf

And a 2016 article and video about the seed trade:

https://www.thethirdpole.net/2016/09/22 ... and-fears/

O :coffee:

Sennin
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by Sennin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 am

Would someone kindly share a resource of bodhi seed malas; specifically the ones used in the Himalayan regions.
:coffee:
Go no paradigm! ;)

amanitamusc
Posts: 980
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:45 am

Sennin wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 am
Would someone kindly share a resource of bodhi seed malas; specifically the ones used in the Himalayan regions.
:coffee:
https://akaracollection.com/collections ... -seed-mala

User avatar
heart
Posts: 4324
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by heart » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 am

Ogaf wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 pm
Reading around a bit, it seems that one of the species of phoenix eye seed mentioned in the article posted by Kunzang is wrong.
Apparently Ziziphus abyssinica is only found in Africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziziphus_abyssinica.
There is one that occurs in India called Ziziphus mauritiana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziziphus_mauritiana

The species of seed that is the recommended one for bodhi seed malas was only recognised as a separate species quite recently and was named Ziziphus budhensis.
Here is an article about the species:

http://www.cibtech.org/J-Plant-Sciences ... ALAYAS.pdf

And a 2016 article and video about the seed trade:

https://www.thethirdpole.net/2016/09/22 ... and-fears/

O :coffee:
:good:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Alex1976
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:09 am

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by Alex1976 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:16 am

Ogaf wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 pm
The species of seed that is the recommended one for bodhi seed malas was only recognised as a separate species quite recently and was named Ziziphus budhensis.
Obviously, generally Tibetans call some of the specimens of Ziziphus genus as "Bodhi seed". And I believe the junk from dharmashop is one of them.
The difference is only in the number of sectors - "eyes" and hardness. As per I discussed with some sellers, they state "right" tree grows only in Nepal: Indian and Chinese trees are not proper. So, thank you for Ziziphus budhensis, probably it is Nepalese one.

chimechodra
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:37 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by chimechodra » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:22 am

Sennin wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 am
Would someone kindly share a resource of bodhi seed malas; specifically the ones used in the Himalayan regions.
:coffee:
I got my bodhi seed mala from garudashop.com. When I got it blessed by the recently passed Dungse Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche, he commented that it was a very good mala and approved of the quality overall. It only cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $60-$80, can't precisely recall. So, as far as Dudjom practitioners are concerned, I would say garudashop is a fantastic resource.

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by Mantrik » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:33 pm

Quite an old bodhiseed mala sold many decades ago in Dharmsala to a friend by an old Tibetan man who wanted to pass it on before he died (and to pay for geriatric care). The bodhiseeds are original, as are the carnelian markers, and it has been gently oiled and restrung. The seeds show a great deal of wear and were very mouldy looking, but still have the triangular 'eye' visible. They are around 10mm, some natural, some slightly flattened. They are a joy to use.

Image
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by Mantrik » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:33 pm
Quite an old bodhiseed mala sold many decades ago in Dharmsala to a friend by an old Tibetan man who wanted to pass it on before he died (and to pay for geriatric care). The bodhiseeds are original, as are the carnelian markers, and it has been gently oiled and restrung. The seeds show a great deal of wear and were very mouldy looking, but still have the triangular 'eye' visible. They are around 10mm, some natural, some slightly flattened. They are a joy to use.

Image
Edit: I should point out that this is not my 'practice' mala, but one of several I use when in less private settings. Posting photos of your practice mala(s) is not considered a good thing.
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Norwegian
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by Norwegian » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm

Posting picture of anything that is a samaya implement is not a good thing.

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by lelopa » Tue May 01, 2018 6:33 am

i think to think posting pictures of good things is not a good thing, is not a good thing
:mrgreen:
ཨོཾ་ཨཱཿཧཱུྃ་བོ་དྷི་ཙིཏྟ་མ་ཧཱ་སུ་ཁ་ཛྙཱ་ན་དྷཱརྟུ་ཨཱཿ

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lisehull, mechashivaz, Tlalok, topazdreamz, yan kong and 43 guests