Bodhi seed malas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
amanitamusc

Re: Bodhi seed malas

Post by amanitamusc »

heart wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:34 am
lelopa wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:34 am
Thierry G wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:47 am Thanks, Magnus.
Is the mala shown on the photo in my first post made with nepalese bodhi seeds ?
Thanks,
Thierry
i am not Magnus,
but I think it looks more like Indian raktu
if refering to Magnus' link to garuda.shop!
Yes, I think so too.

/magnus
Yes, raktu seed can be found in very small mm size and it does look like Nepal Bodhi.
Thierry G

Post by Thierry G »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:11 pm
lelopa wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:34 am

i am not Magnus,
but I think it looks more like Indian raktu
if refering to Magnus' link to garuda.shop!
Yes, I think so too.

/magnus
Yes, raktu seed can be found in very small mm size and it does look like Nepal Bodhi.
Yes, thank you all !

So, this sold to be real bodhi seeds phoenix eye is faux ! isn't it ?
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

Thierry G wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Yes, I think so too.

/magnus
Yes, thank you all !

I wouldn't maybe trust eBay for these sorts of things.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Thierry G wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Yes, I think so too.

/magnus
Yes, thank you all !

Yes i believe so. A nepal natural Bodhi mala 8mm would go for 2000 usd or more.
In 2002 i could get 10mm Nepal Bodhi mala for 20 usd
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

This one is natural nepal Bodhi 14mm Its a big one but the price is good
https://www.ebay.com/itm/N260-Meditatio ... Sw4nhZ-vZh
Thierry G

Post by Thierry G »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:23 pm This one is natural nepal Bodhi 14mm Its a big one but the price is good
And he's mine now !
thanx !
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Thierry G wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:18 am
amanitamusc wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:23 pm This one is natural nepal Bodhi 14mm Its a big one but the price is good
And he's mine now !
thanx !
Good for you!
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

anybody know the current price of 10mm bodhi seeds (phoenix eye, unpolished) in Nepal?

I've seen an 11mm mala for $299 online... just bought a supposed 9-9.5mm mala for $450 but only 20 or so beads are 9.5-10mm. The rest are 10-11. Trying to gauge whether to return it or not.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

TrimePema wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:23 am anybody know the current price of 10mm bodhi seeds (phoenix eye, unpolished) in Nepal?

I've seen an 11mm mala for $299 online... just bought a supposed 9-9.5mm mala for $450 but only 20 or so beads are 9.5-10mm. The rest are 10-11. Trying to gauge whether to return it or not.
You should get what you paid for.
Dvs

Post by Dvs »

TrimePema wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:23 am anybody know the current price of 10mm bodhi seeds (phoenix eye, unpolished) in Nepal?

I'm in Nepal right now. You can get 10-11mm for around $300. It all depends on the quality. Indian bodhi seed malas nice ones, for around $80-$100.
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

Dvs wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 am

I'm in Nepal right now. You can get 10-11mm for around $300. It all depends on the quality. Indian bodhi seed malas nice ones, for around $80-$100.
thanks! :anjali:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Damn, I remember the days when you could get a bodhi seed mala for a couple of bucks...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
nada

Post by nada »

I'm just trying to get term "bodhi seeds" straight.

In this article it says:
In modern times, ‘Bodhi seeds’ do not refer to any particular plant but instead refer generally to seeds and the fruits of various plants used to make prayer beads.
Which would make it a catch all term for any type of plant based prayer bead.

However when I read the Buddhist Prayer Beads wikipedia article it says:
These beads can be made from the wood of Ficus religiosa (bo or bodhi tree), or from "bodhi seeds", which come from rudraksha.
Additionally the Ziziphus budhensis wikipedia article says:
The seeds are used as beads to make malas (rosaries), known as Bodhichitta malas,[2] Buddha chitta mala, or Bodhi seed malas, used in Tibetan Buddhist worship.
If "bodhi seed" is being used as a general "catch all" term in the wikipedia articles then I find it fairly confusing. Additionally if it is a catch all then the term "bodhi seed mala" means absolutely nothing if you are looking for a specific type of seed or material since they are all bodhi seed malas.

If someone could illuminate me on the subject I would be most grateful.

-n
heart

Post by heart »

nada wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:09 am I'm just trying to get term "bodhi seeds" straight.

In this article it says:
In modern times, ‘Bodhi seeds’ do not refer to any particular plant but instead refer generally to seeds and the fruits of various plants used to make prayer beads.
Which would make it a catch all term for any type of plant based prayer bead.

However when I read the Buddhist Prayer Beads wikipedia article it says:
These beads can be made from the wood of Ficus religiosa (bo or bodhi tree), or from "bodhi seeds", which come from rudraksha.
Additionally the Ziziphus budhensis wikipedia article says:
The seeds are used as beads to make malas (rosaries), known as Bodhichitta malas,[2] Buddha chitta mala, or Bodhi seed malas, used in Tibetan Buddhist worship.
If "bodhi seed" is being used as a general "catch all" term in the wikipedia articles then I find it fairly confusing. Additionally if it is a catch all then the term "bodhi seed mala" means absolutely nothing if you are looking for a specific type of seed or material since they are all bodhi seed malas.

If someone could illuminate me on the subject I would be most grateful.

-n
This is the correct information.
Ogaf wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 pm Reading around a bit, it seems that one of the species of phoenix eye seed mentioned in the article posted by Kunzang is wrong.
Apparently Ziziphus abyssinica is only found in Africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziziphus_abyssinica.
There is one that occurs in India called Ziziphus mauritiana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziziphus_mauritiana

The species of seed that is the recommended one for bodhi seed malas was only recognised as a separate species quite recently and was named Ziziphus budhensis.
Here is an article about the species:

http://www.cibtech.org/J-Plant-Sciences ... ALAYAS.pdf

And a 2016 article and video about the seed trade:

https://www.thethirdpole.net/2016/09/22 ... and-fears/

O :coffee:
/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Afaik the real deal is Ziziphus budhensis! Also Lama Sonam Jorpel told this at a Vajrayogini-wang - but he didn't mentioned the name of it -
he said: "the brown rough-ones called bodhi-tsee, not bodhi-seed!"
Bodhi-tse is mentioned in the book Dictionary of Tibetan Materia Medica by Pasang Yontan Arya as apricot-seed - if i remember well

Raksha is raksha - very different but used for wrathful Yidams & Dharmapalas a lot
and the seed of Ficus religiosa are seeds of fig & too small.
Lost In Transmission
nada

Post by nada »

Ok so based on what heart posted the term "bodhi seed mala" is a catch all term. That information is a great help when shopping as I now know you cannot determine the seed type of an item that is listed as such.

Thank you very much to both heart and lelopa for your time and assistance.
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

I was just in nepal and the prices are fairly good now.

I saw really nice three eyes mala, unpolished for 50-60$
One eye 10mm 200$ for a nice one, but of course you have to shop around.

I still think the indian bodhi seed, in polished or sanded down are really nice. I bought a 8mm polished but nice indian bodhi seed of 130$.

In bodhgaya you can get unpolished indian bodhi for $30-40
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Rroman wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:24 am I was just in nepal and the prices are fairly good now.

I saw really nice three eyes mala, unpolished for 50-60$
One eye 10mm 200$ for a nice one, but of course you have to shop around.

I still think the indian bodhi seed, in polished or sanded down are really nice. I bought a 8mm polished but nice indian bodhi seed of 130$.

In bodhgaya you can get unpolished indian bodhi for $30-40
Do you know what the average monthly income for a Nepali is? About 230 euro / $260 US.

So how can $50-60 be a fairly good price? Even $30-40 is preposterous. They are just seeds for crying out loud!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

I’m just telling you the price what I saw.
Its not they are just seeds, it is the perception of the seeds, the view. And trust

The is the average income of nepalis. But there are many that are doing much better, just as in anywhere. Not including the Tibetans. Now Chinese need no visa to come to nepal. So things change. Good or bad...things change
nada

Post by nada »

Ogaf wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 pm Reading around a bit, it seems that one of the species of phoenix eye seed mentioned in the article posted by Kunzang is wrong.
Apparently Ziziphus abyssinica is only found in Africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziziphus_abyssinica.
There is one that occurs in India called Ziziphus mauritiana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziziphus_mauritiana
With respect I've been doing research for the last several days and the results differ from the above text.

Ziziphus mauritana and Ziziphus jujuba (formerly Ziziphus zizyphus) are the warm/cold versions of the other. This is from the Ziziphus mauritana wikipedia article:
Ziziphus mauritiana is one of the two Ziziphus species that have considerable horticulture importance, the other being Chinese jujube (Z. zizyphus). Indian jujube (Z. mauritiana) is more tropical, whereas Chinese jujube is a more cold hardy species.[1]
Also the following page from the California Dept of Food and Agriculture combines mauritana and jujuba into a single entry.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/AgCommID/page50.htm

Additionally the listings I found on the net for Phoenix Eye malas list Ziziphus abyssinica as the source for example:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/185851199/ ... mala-bodhi

Just a small bit information to consider. Peace.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”