Hearing other sect's lectures is negative?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Simon E.

Re: Hearing other sect's lectures is negative?

Post by Simon E. »

Challenge23 wrote:
Simon E. wrote:
ShakuShodoo wrote:The title is very elucidative of this question of mine.

Let us say that I stick to Karma Kagyu tradition...
If I go to a Ch'an monastery, hear it's Masters teachings and seek pearls of wisdom...will I be doing something negative?
Not negative..but superfluous perhaps.

Believe me if one is fully engaged in the Karma Kagyu ngondro there is no time or energy left to be a dilettante.
But, hopefully, one isn't doing the Karma Kagyu ngondro forever. Though one can do ngondro as a lifetime practice usually it is one that has a set limits in time or number of repetitions. What about once you are done?[/quote

Then you realise that the ngondro is indeed the preliminaries... :smile: At that point you can either buckle down to your chosen path or flit from flower to flower...
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Challenge23 wrote:But, hopefully, one isn't doing the Karma Kagyu ngondro forever. Though one can do ngondro as a lifetime practice usually it is one that has a set limits in time or number of repetitions. What about once you are done?
If you are done, you haven't done it right. :sage:
Challenge23

Post by Challenge23 »

Simon E. wrote:
Then you realise that the ngondro is indeed the preliminaries... :smile: At that point you can either buckle down to your chosen path or flit from flower to flower...
So you are saying that it is negative to hear other sect's teachings?
dharmagoat wrote:
Challenge23 wrote:But, hopefully, one isn't doing the Karma Kagyu ngondro forever. Though one can do ngondro as a lifetime practice usually it is one that has a set limits in time or number of repetitions. What about once you are done?
But if that is the case, DG, then that means that the teachers who state that there are signs of completion of the ngondro are incorrect and it really is a lifetime practice. Or are you trying to say something different?
IN THIS BOOK IT IS SPOKEN OF THE SEPHIROTH & THE PATHS, OF SPIRITS & CONJURATIONS, OF GODS, SPHERES, PLANES & MANY OTHER THINGS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST. IT IS IMMATERIAL WHETHER THEY EXIST OR NOT. BY DOING CERTAIN THINGS CERTAIN RESULTS FOLLOW; STUDENTS ARE MOST EARNESTLY WARNED AGAINST ATTRIBUTING OBJECTIVE REALITY OR PHILOSOPHICAL VALIDITY TO ANY OF THEM.

Wagner, Eric; Wilson, Robert Anton (2004-12-01). An Insider's Guide to Robert Anton Wilson (Kindle Locations 1626-1629). New Falcon Publications. Kindle Edition., quoting from Alister Crowley
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Challenge23 wrote:
Simon E. wrote:
So you are saying that it is negative to hear other sect's teachings?
dharmagoat wrote:
But if that is the case, DG, then that means that the teachers who state that there are signs of completion of the ngondro are incorrect and it really is a lifetime practice. Or are you trying to say something different?
No not negative...but most of us have our hands full following just ONE path...

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Personally, I feel like all the authentic Dharma teachings i've been privy to are consistent, and not contradictory.

Like a lot of things it's probably also a question of motivation, if you are going to others teachings just to "collect" stuff, then maybe there's no point, if you are going because you are drawn and interested, seems ok. There is a ton of overlap with sutra-level meditation advice anyway, at least IME.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Interestingly, IIRC, a certain rather well-known, albeit somewhat controversial, Karma Kagyu Lama had photos of a certain rather well-known, somewhat less controversial, Zen master placed on the altars of his centers. :shrug:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Personally, I feel like all the authentic Dharma teachings i've been privy to are consistent, and not contradictory.
I think the issue Johnny is about actualising teachings..and personally I can only eat and process one meal at a time.

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Challenge23 wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:If you are done, you haven't done it right. :sage:
This is my feeble justification for never completing ngondro. The sage was added to make it more convincing.
Challenge23

Post by Challenge23 »

dharmagoat wrote:
Challenge23 wrote:But if that is the case, DG, then that means that the teachers who state that there are signs of completion of the ngondro are incorrect and it really is a lifetime practice. Or are you trying to say something different?
This is my feeble justification for never completing ngondro. The sage was added to make it more convincing.

Ahh. In that case, I bow to you in fraternity(as someone who is taking a super long time).

With that said, we'll both get through it eventually.
IN THIS BOOK IT IS SPOKEN OF THE SEPHIROTH & THE PATHS, OF SPIRITS & CONJURATIONS, OF GODS, SPHERES, PLANES & MANY OTHER THINGS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST. IT IS IMMATERIAL WHETHER THEY EXIST OR NOT. BY DOING CERTAIN THINGS CERTAIN RESULTS FOLLOW; STUDENTS ARE MOST EARNESTLY WARNED AGAINST ATTRIBUTING OBJECTIVE REALITY OR PHILOSOPHICAL VALIDITY TO ANY OF THEM.

Wagner, Eric; Wilson, Robert Anton (2004-12-01). An Insider's Guide to Robert Anton Wilson (Kindle Locations 1626-1629). New Falcon Publications. Kindle Edition., quoting from Alister Crowley
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I took four years..and I was young. I know someone who has taken nine years so far..nothing is wasted, its all good.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

:bow:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”