If you could only have one Dharma object.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
The Mantra Mongoose

If you could only have one Dharma object.

Post by The Mantra Mongoose »

Hello All,

Like the title says, if you could only have one Dharma object to help you in your practice what would it be? Stupa, Mala, Sutra Book, Mani wheel, Statue, Deity image, what would it be and why. I'm just asking out of curiosity as i my self have very little room for a large shrine or many objects were i live so my practice really involves around very few material possessions. Also being new to Tibetan Buddhism I've always wondered how those with little money practice, as a lot of what I've seen in regards to ceremony or ritual is usually grand or complex and involves a lot( not saying that's a bad thing) and other tools used in practice are not cheap at least were i'm sitting. Forgive me if i misrepresenting the Tibetan stream of Dharmic Practice as I'm still learning, i don't mean to step on anybodies toes.
ClearblueSky

Re: If you could only have one Dharma object.

Post by ClearblueSky »

If we're talking generic objects (as opposed to a particular treasure someone's lama gave them or something), I suppose I'd want a mala the most. Though it could certainly be argued a bell and dorje (or is that 2 objects?) should be the object kept by Vajrayana practitioners... I just really don't want to have to count on my fingers!
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

I would want a prayer wheel, because they are very beneficial and easy to use. Even if you don't know much about Buddhism, you can become enlightened in this life just by spinning one. It is a cause for being reborn in Sukhavati. Garchen Rinpoche is always spinning a prayer wheel, and he said that they are one of the best methods for accumulating merit. The recent story of Benza Guru Drubtop increased my faith in the prayer wheel practice.

https://bodhiactivity.wordpress.com/200 ... llo-world/
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Something my lama wrote that isn't published.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Terma

Post by Terma »

Not sure if this would be defined as a "dharma object", but...

It is said that the Guru is the root of all accomplishment, so for me I would say a picture of my own precious Guru.

:namaste:
The Mantra Mongoose

Post by The Mantra Mongoose »

Thanks for all the reply's i have a lot to think about.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

I would say "this precious human body", but that would sound glib.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

For me a mala is a must-have. And a photo of a Buddha doesn't take any space hanging at the wall and a nice frame isn't expensive either (2€ in a shop nearby).
So, for me this both is essentially.

Also the practice texts are necessary, cause I fail to know them by heart. And my mandala set. It takes 20 square-cm and the rice has a weight of 1kg. These four little items are essentially for me. Okay, but the most important is a functioning mind.
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Longchenpa's Choying Dzod
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

The OP mentions a Stupa. Seems like that would be the end-all right? And it would probably attract other practitioners, and that is a big plus in my book.
no tea is too good for me
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

SamBodhi wrote:The OP mentions a Stupa. Seems like that would be the end-all right? And it would probably attract other practitioners, and that is a big plus in my book.
Well I guess that depends. By object, I assumed a small stupa you can carry around. At what size does a stupa go from being an "object" to a "structure"?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I would initially say my sutra book, but the stupa sounds right! And the diamond sutra says that it is the buddha's stupa!
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

ClearblueSky wrote:
SamBodhi wrote:The OP mentions a Stupa. Seems like that would be the end-all right? And it would probably attract other practitioners, and that is a big plus in my book.
Well I guess that depends. By object, I assumed a small stupa you can carry around. At what size does a stupa go from being an "object" to a "structure"?
I am not sure. I was sort of joking. I am also without means for aquiring many objects nor a place for keeping them. I have a mala. But I use my practice book more.
no tea is too good for me
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

My favorite Dharma object is a Maha Bodhi replica.

I have many Buddha statues at my place, but the Maha Bodhi replica is my favorite. They make small ones too, some only a couple of inches high (5cm). However, they are hard to find outside of India.

For me the Maha Bodhi, like a stupa is the end-all; it represents the Buddha, the Dharma, the Sangha and it is a temple too, so includes lay men and lay women and represents the turning of the Dharma Wheel. The original is believed to have been built by King Ashoka, approx. 250 BCE. It is inspiring to read of the thousands of Buddhists over the centuries who have made the pilgrimage to Bodh Gaya, many dying on the way; that was their determination to reach there.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

I dont have anything except for one book. I would probably get a mala if deciding to take practice seriously but laziness prevails :zzz:
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Pith instructions.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

A sutra too long for me to memorize.
Likely the Diamond Sutra, given its central importance in Zen. I will say I have a LOT of challenges with this sutra... perhaps exactly why I'd need it on a desert island :rolleye:
Namu Amida Butsu
Paul

Post by Paul »

My dharma notes. They've been remarkably useful.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
lobster

Post by lobster »

A cushion :shrug:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Dharmakaya.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”