Meat Eating Mantras

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Meat Eating Mantras

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

CedarTree wrote:
emaho wrote:
CedarTree wrote: I feel it should be open to the practitioners to detail the content of their position.
This has been explained and discussed ad nauseam in the Great Vegetarian Debate thread. This topic here is more for people who believe that saying Mantras for the dead animal actually does have a positive effect. I can't imagine that anybody here is willing to go into this endless debate all over again.
Not about a debate if it is good or bad in general. Looking for the Tantra understanding and the understanding of these mantras in a larger context.

Like I said above this isn't coming from a judgemental place, I earnestly want to understand the tradition a bit more in this regard.
Okay, afaik the point is in the fact that if you don't eat the cow and save it's life well that is great however it doesn't helo it really. I will spend few more years as a cow and then die and suffer somewhere else. Throught mantras one is able (or should be Chatral rinpoche's view is undermining my believe :D ) to make a connection between the sentient being and dharma. This way it wont suffer as long in the samsara as it would have if it was just left alive. This is if I understand well the view of ChNN. Please correct me if I am wrong.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
_R_

Post by _R_ »

Chatral Rinpoche was hardcore about vegetarianism, and didn't tolerate any meat eating per se. Also, CR criticized a lot lamas who were meatians.

Miroku wrote: Please correct me if I am wrong.

No need to thank me.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Miroku wrote:
CedarTree wrote:
emaho wrote:
This has been explained and discussed ad nauseam in the Great Vegetarian Debate thread. This topic here is more for people who believe that saying Mantras for the dead animal actually does have a positive effect. I can't imagine that anybody here is willing to go into this endless debate all over again.
Not about a debate if it is good or bad in general. Looking for the Tantra understanding and the understanding of these mantras in a larger context.

Like I said above this isn't coming from a judgemental place, I earnestly want to understand the tradition a bit more in this regard.
Okay, afaik the point is in the fact that if you don't eat the cow and save it's life well that is great however it doesn't helo it really. I will spend few more years as a cow and then die and suffer somewhere else. Throught mantras one is able (or should be Chatral rinpoche's view is undermining my believe :D ) to make a connection between the sentient being and dharma. This way it wont suffer as long in the samsara as it would have if it was just left alive. This is if I understand well the view of ChNN. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Can you explain a bit more about how the mantra makes a connection between the sentient being and the dharma.

Practice, Practice, Practice
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

CedarTree wrote: Can you explain a bit more about how the mantra makes a connection between the sentient being and the dharma.
The main thing is that many lamas, esp. Nyingma lamas, teach this. So for some of us it is a teaching that our lamas gave. And they tend to be light on theory regarding it as well (for example, Lama Zopa's instructions to his students on various such matters is typical of the instruction "this will help", "this will accomplish that", etc. So in the end it is more of a "just go ahead and follow the instruction" (just do it) kind of thing.

However everything functions due to interdependence or dependent arisings. We have karmically met the animal in the form of meat, unfortunately. And if that should happen, we have a method that will help liberate the animal due to the power of the mantra, and our faith. If we employ this method then we are the ones who help make the connection between the animal and the Dharma.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Strive

Post by Strive »

om mani padme hum is always good choice
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

kirtu wrote:
CedarTree wrote: Can you explain a bit more about how the mantra makes a connection between the sentient being and the dharma.
The main thing is that many lamas, esp. Nyingma lamas, teach this. So for some of us it is a teaching that our lamas gave. And they tend to be light on theory regarding it as well (for example, Lama Zopa's instructions to his students on various such matters is typical of the instruction "this will help", "this will accomplish that", etc. So in the end it is more of a "just go ahead and follow the instruction" (just do it) kind of thing.

However everything functions due to interdependence or dependent arisings. We have karmically met the animal in the form of meat, unfortunately. And if that should happen, we have a method that will help liberate the animal due to the power of the mantra, and our faith. If we employ this method then we are the ones who help make the connection between the animal and the Dharma.

Kirt
Nice explanation Kirtu!
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
SuryaMitra

Post by SuryaMitra »

In most sources it say`s A A SHA SA MA HA, yet N.N.Norbu Rinpoche uses Ha A HA SHA SA MA, can anyone tell me what`s the reason behind that, is it from different termas? I would welcome some explanation. Thnx
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

SuryaMitra wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:43 pm In most sources it say`s A A SHA SA MA HA, yet N.N.Norbu Rinpoche uses Ha A HA SHA SA MA, can anyone tell me what`s the reason behind that, is it from different termas?
Yes.
SuryaMitra

Post by SuryaMitra »

Could you please, say something more about it? From which sources/termas is the mantra used by Ch.NN ? Thnx .
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

SuryaMitra wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:57 pm Could you please, say something more about it? From which sources/termas is the mantra used by Ch.NN ? Thnx .
From his teacher's termas.
SuryaMitra

Post by SuryaMitra »

OK, so I am guessing its most likely either Changchub Dorje or Kyentse Wangchuk. Thank you.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:41 pm
Boomerang wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
The best mantra to use is the six syllables of Samantabhadra.
A A Ha Sha Sa Ma? A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha? Is that for Dzogchen practioners or for everybody? Are you supposed to say it 3, 7, 21 times, or just once?
Both versions are correct. You can say it once or as many times as you like.

When you say it to animals, also it creates a good cause.

It is in fact the Buddhas of the six realms in the form of syllables.
I’m sorry if this is an old thread but is ‘A A Ha Sha Sa Ma’ Samantabhadra’s Mantra?

Thank you.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”