Mani + car tire?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Mani + car tire?

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Would writing the mani on the side of a car tire function similarly to spinning a prayer wheel when the car is being driven?

Namu Amida Butsu
Yeti

Re: Mani + car tire?

Post by Yeti »

Monlam Tharchin wrote:Would writing the mani on the side of a car tire function similarly to spinning a prayer wheel when the car is being driven?

I don't know, but I remember someone asking Lama Zopa Rinpoche about a practice for all the animals/insects killed by cars, and he gave a specific mantra to recite and blow on the wheels. I can't remember it (lack of mindfulness).
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
lucidaromulus

Post by lucidaromulus »

I don't think it be good to write the mani mantra on the wheel. Cause it's like writing a mantra on our shoes(car's shoes in this case). I recall reading an article stating that there are shoes being sold with pictures of Deities and Buddhas and mantras on it and wearing it is creating bad karma. Basically these mantras are supposed to be treated with great reverence and should not be lower than us physically(when we sit in the driver's seat, it's almost we are sitting on the mantra). - my opinion.

If you're looking to have a prayer wheel in your car you can look out for one of those solar powered mani wheels. It's pretty popular here where I live(asia).

I recall reading a short article in chinese by Khenpo Sodargye stating that some people offered him pens with the heart sutra carved on it. And even cups and other utensils. He said he dared not use it and advised his students to offer it on the altar instead if using it.

My interpretation, in short we have to be careful of how we handle the mantras as even one mantra of a buddha deity we have to revere it like the entire dharma jewel.

Side note...I'm doing the practice below for my tyres, shoes, feet, and even gardening equipment and mops and brooms:
The mantra that yeti mentioned is Mantra for blessing the feet

OM KHRECHA RAGHANA HUM HRI SVAHA (7x)

Recite this mantra three or seven times and spit on the soles of your feet or shoes. Then any insect that dies under your feet during the day will be born in the Thirty-three deva realm. This is from the Manjugosha Root Tantra. You can also spit on the tires of your car and so forth.http://www.lamayeshe.com/article/chapte ... bliography
greenjonin

Post by greenjonin »

Monlam Tharchin wrote:Would writing the mani on the side of a car tire function similarly to spinning a prayer wheel when the car is being driven?
If were ever deemed appropriate, imagine how many rotations of the tire would accumulate!
I think also, the more mantras present internally (millions upon millions printed on microfilm usually nowadays) the better than just the one mantra on the outside of a wheel.
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

greenjonin wrote:
If were ever deemed appropriate, imagine how many rotations of the tire would accumulate!
I think also, the more mantras present internally (millions upon millions printed on microfilm usually nowadays) the better than just the one mantra on the outside of a wheel.
In a traditional prayer wheel are many mantras inside, too!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”