Sutra of Great Liberation

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Potala

Sutra of Great Liberation

Post by Potala » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Does anyone know where I can find an online e-copy of The Sutra of Great Liberation? thanks.

WeiHan

Re: Sutra of Great Liberation

Post by WeiHan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:46 pm

I would appreciate to get more info about this sutra to double check with what i collect from from chinese sources.

1. The chinese sources claim that this sutra is one of the very rare one that was translated from the chinese canon into the tibetan kangyur. Does it exists in the Tibetan canon? I only know that SoDhargye Khenpo has mentioned this sutra his teaching on Diamond Sutra.

2. It claims that the tibetan prayer wheel that contains this sutra is supreme. Is it true? I only know that prayer wheel usually contains the mani mantras.

3. HH Mokcha Rinpoche of kathok monastery recited it daily for the past 40 years.

4. It is very popular in Tibet for the purpose of reciting for the deceased. is it true?

I asked all these questions because this sutra allegedly disappeared from the chinese canon one thousand year ago and was only miraculously rediscovered in the last one hundred years or so..

WeiHan

Post by WeiHan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:37 pm

I manage to do more googling and have most of the questions above answered. Most importantly, it is indeed a genuine sutra that is popularly held in Tibet.

The chinese words isn't good in the actual pronunciation of the Dharani compared to English. It will be helpful to many if anybody can help with the Dharani in this sutra. I think there are only two Dharani. Karma Chagme has written a short sadhana based on this sutra that contains this Dharani ans it looks like this

==
大方广忏悔灭罪成佛经之归摄略轨经
顶礼、供养、皈依出有坏、如来、大阿罗汉、正等觉者,诸过去佛、未来佛及现在住世者诸圣尊,并诸菩提萨埵、诸声缘圣者众。顶礼诸塔及诸舍利、诸肉身舍利,祈请加持。
顶礼、供养、皈依大总持及十二部经。顶礼契经部、顶礼授记部、顶礼讽诵部、顶礼应颂部、顶礼自说部、顶礼缘起部、顶礼譬喻部、顶礼本事部、顶礼本生部、顶礼方广部、顶礼希法部、顶礼论议部。顶礼诸大乘藏。祈请加持。
那么布达雅 那么达儿玛雅那迷松噶丫阿丹德搭日阿呢。代的雅他。阿嘎夏呢巴驳(be)呢。萨儿瓦达日玛呢挖呢。饿夏妈恩搭。驳(be)巴夏那。驳(be)玛拉色巴日。达儿玛呢喀那。巴日阿日呢匝丫搭妈垒匝垒。喝勒喝勒。歇窝(we)叠。曼扎曼扎。曼扎梭哈。
==

WeiHan

Post by WeiHan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Rejoice and pleasantly surprised that a Chinese mahayana group in Malaysia is practicing this uncommon (but common in tibetan buddhism) sutra on a monthly basis.
https://thanhsiang.org/kl/archive/2007/ ... tion07.htm

Found this you tube about a Karma Kagyu's Rinpoche talking about this sutra and about his father (also a tulku) devotion to this practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHaZPMizcC0

So far, I can't find any English translation for this sutra.

This sutra disappeared from the Chinese tripitaka 1000 years ago only to have fragments of it recollected back in recent years. The last missing piece was recovered in a Dun Huang cave. It was then crossed checked with the tibetan version and found to be the same sutra. this sutra contains everything from a powerful confession practice, essence of Prajnaparamita, Avatamsaka sutra, Lotus sutra, previous lives of Buddha Sakyamuni, a method to liberate the deceased and more.... The chinese and tibetan copy is easy to get in the internet and I am getting a copy.

WeiHan

Post by WeiHan » Thu May 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I confirmed what was said in the chinese sources true (at least it is a genuine sutra recognised in Tibetan Buddhism) because i found this clip of HH Mokcha Rinpoche giving the lung for the Dharani. Share with all of you. However, his speed is fast and I would appreciate if someone who can read tibetan helps with the pronunciation of this Dharani

https://v.qq.com/x/page/i03273pchj9.html

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”