On the Root guru

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Simon E.

Re: On the Root guru

Post by Simon E. »

heart wrote:
Sonam Wangchug wrote:Follow up question ---

Let's say you feel from your heart to follow a certain lama, but he doesn't teach for example Dzogchen (Trekcho and thogal) ..

However there are other lama's who do .. However you do not feel that they are your root guru.. Should you still consider the lama whom you feel to be your tsawai lama your root guru, and go and receive teachings from the other lama on dzogchen. Should you follow that lama, and seek for minds recognition within the context of Lama naljor, and not go to other lama's for the dzogchen instructions? ..

Just looking for some views .. As we know there are some great lama's but they don't always give the Dzogchen instructions (trekcho thogal) though some could say they are always 'pointing out'

:namaste:
Don't listen to hearsay, always ask the Lama questions like this yourself in private. Dharma centers are full of people that think they know everything.

/magnus
This.. :good:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Subject: On the Root guru
Sonam Wangchug wrote:Follow up question ---

Let's say you feel from your heart to follow a certain lama, but he doesn't teach for example Dzogchen (Trekcho and thogal) ..

However there are other lama's who do .. However you do not feel that they are your root guru.. Should you still consider the lama whom you feel to be your tsawai lama your root guru, and go and receive teachings from the other lama on dzogchen. Should you follow that lama, and seek for minds recognition within the context of Lama naljor, and not go to other lama's for the dzogchen instructions? ..

Just looking for some views .. As we know there are some great lama's but they don't always give the Dzogchen instructions (trekcho thogal) though some could say they are always 'pointing out'

rai wrote:The importance of karmic connection in the recognition of mind's nature by Bardor Tulku Rinpoche https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOfvpBvk8bo
This video is about the advice to follow that teacher who is most touching for you. Good words, that put some emotions and doubts straight, I found.
muni

Post by muni »

When Root Guru says: "As a bee seeks nectar from all kinds of flowers Seek teachings everywhere.
Like a deer that finds a quiet place to graze, seek seclusion to digest all that you have gathered. Like a mad one beyond all limits, go where you please and live like a lion completely free of all fear."

Then when he/she says so, please lets’ not waste this opportunity and take this advice as best as possible to be free, to be liberated of the head-cinema and its likes and dislikes –opinions-believes, to exhaust our circle of karmic confusion....by gratitude to the always Present and Compassionate Root Guru La, Nondual Nature.

Namo Guru La………………..Then many flowers as representation of Guru, different form, different method but basically the same. Some flowers are more suitable for this one, another flower for another. May all find their liberating flower. Namo Guru La!

Namo...... :buddha1:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
karmadrakpayeshe

Post by karmadrakpayeshe »

Fortyeightvows wrote:The teacher who most moves your heart
I would +1 this but that would be too vajrayana even for me. It may teach you the most sometimes to follow your heart, but often our hearts and minds are equally deluded. This can get you in so much trouble. I would have to trust lineage, esteem, and all that over heart moving. Although my heart wants to agree with you, I can't. Of course the teacher should intrigue you, hold your interest and even move your heart, but sometimes you have to know when a ride is too wild to take yourself on.

disclaimer: IMHO
karmadrakpayeshe

Post by karmadrakpayeshe »

Ayu wrote:In the film "Tulku", there is a passage where the young tulku Wyatt discribes how his guru looked at him. Nobody looks at you with such eyes, with such love.
I can relate to that. My lama is able to look at me purely, with the eyes of a father or mother with simple love and nothing else. This is extraordinary and it shows his state of mind. Noone else is able to see me without judgement.

Before I met him I found this prayer 'Calling for the guru' in the internet. When I read it I had to cry, I felt such despair to be apart from a good teacher, who could show me the right path.
Then some days later a friend told me there would be a Buddhist lecture, she said she likes this teacher especially. I thought, well, give it a shot and go there - but I didn't expect anything.
When I sat in that lecture, I found that place to be quite nice. A decent Tibetan teacher speaking sanely and compassionately. The longer this lecture lasted the stronger was the "vibration" I felt. I thought: Maybe this could be my teacher? Maybe I knew him in a lifetime before?
While the translator was speaking, the lama looked at the faces in the audiance one by one. When he saw me, he looked surprised. Me too. I felt like he was thinking: Are you here finally? Where have you been all these years?

This might be only hallucinated or projected, nobody knows. But I started to follow this teacher and it was a big change for my spiritual life. A good decision.
This sounds genuine to me. Perhaps this should be the most helpful response to the OP. I don't think anyone can really describe a sure shot procedure to finding their tsawei lama. It seems to generally happen like this though with a lot of yearning and emotion for a lot of people including Milarepa if I'm not mistaken. There is a saying "the teacher will find you" And another "make yourself ready, and the teacher will find you" Open your heart and call out honestly and you will find him.
the problem with shopping around for a lama is that the ego gets too involved. One thing you risk is picking one that appeals to your subliminal egoistic desires on the spiritual path. Another is getting frustrated at not finding one and this sense of urgency and picking the wrong one and getting yourself into trouble. If this is a serious dilemma I recommend you relax about it. It happens when you are ready as do all things in this universe. No need for anxiety. It is definitely important, and when the time comes just try to see it and move on it, but if it isn't happening just give it time.

by the way I don't know what type of person you are. I think it's OK for some people to shop around, but only the most cool headed and rational people. Thats definitely not for people who are easily swept up in currents of passion or infatuation. Know yourself.
Terma

Post by Terma »

karmadrakpayeshe wrote:
Ayu wrote:In the film "Tulku", there is a passage where the young tulku Wyatt discribes how his guru looked at him. Nobody looks at you with such eyes, with such love.
I can relate to that. My lama is able to look at me purely, with the eyes of a father or mother with simple love and nothing else. This is extraordinary and it shows his state of mind. Noone else is able to see me without judgement.

Before I met him I found this prayer 'Calling for the guru' in the internet. When I read it I had to cry, I felt such despair to be apart from a good teacher, who could show me the right path.
Then some days later a friend told me there would be a Buddhist lecture, she said she likes this teacher especially. I thought, well, give it a shot and go there - but I didn't expect anything.
When I sat in that lecture, I found that place to be quite nice. A decent Tibetan teacher speaking sanely and compassionately. The longer this lecture lasted the stronger was the "vibration" I felt. I thought: Maybe this could be my teacher? Maybe I knew him in a lifetime before?
While the translator was speaking, the lama looked at the faces in the audiance one by one. When he saw me, he looked surprised. Me too. I felt like he was thinking: Are you here finally? Where have you been all these years?

This might be only hallucinated or projected, nobody knows. But I started to follow this teacher and it was a big change for my spiritual life. A good decision.
This sounds genuine to me. Perhaps this should be the most helpful response to the OP. I don't think anyone can really describe a sure shot procedure to finding their tsawei lama. It seems to generally happen like this though with a lot of yearning and emotion for a lot of people including Milarepa if I'm not mistaken. There is a saying "the teacher will find you" And another "make yourself ready, and the teacher will find you" Open your heart and call out honestly and you will find him.
the problem with shopping around for a lama is that the ego gets too involved. One thing you risk is picking one that appeals to your subliminal egoistic desires on the spiritual path. Another is getting frustrated at not finding one and this sense of urgency and picking the wrong one and getting yourself into trouble. If this is a serious dilemma I recommend you relax about it. It happens when you are ready as do all things in this universe. No need for anxiety. It is definitely important, and when the time comes just try to see it and move on it, but if it isn't happening just give it time.

by the way I don't know what type of person you are. I think it's OK for some people to shop around, but only the most cool headed and rational people. Thats definitely not for people who are easily swept up in currents of passion or infatuation. Know yourself.
I would agree with this and I might add that it also has a lot to do with merit and lack of obstacles which are tied in with one another I believe. If we have the merit, then we will most likely have the conditions to meet our Root Guru (and be free from obstacles making it difficult) and also the merit to have a very pure view of that Master and a more pure or heartfelt experience of being in their presence. In all matters Dharma related I have a feeling that merit is so important and can be often overlooked.

So to tie this in to what your post said, I think as long as we constantly try to gain merit by not only practicing but by also trying to maintain the view of dharma as often as we can remember to, then this will bring us closer. Making aspirations helps too, which is why "calling the guru from afar" is a prayer which is so helpful for so many people.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”