Bliss

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
sangyey

Bliss

Post by sangyey »

Is bliss an aspect of Buddha Nature?
Malcolm

Re: Bliss

Post by Malcolm »

sangyey wrote:Is bliss an aspect of Buddha Nature?
Yes, as is purity, permanence and self.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Does the view change at all amongst the different school of Tibetan Buddhism. Perhaps where Nyingma would say that bliss is inherent while Gelug might say bliss is not inherent but only a skillful means?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

sangyey wrote:Does the view change at all amongst the different school of Tibetan Buddhism. Perhaps where Nyingma would say that bliss is inherent while Gelug might say bliss is not inherent but only a skillful means?
It depends on how a given school understands tathāgatagarbha, and the Uttaratantra.
pael

Post by pael »

Is it mental bliss or is it physical bliss? Does it mean bliss of meditative absorption? Can samsaric being benefit bliss of Buddhas before achieving Buddhahood or Bodhisattva bhumis? Does these apply also for purity, permanence and self of Buddhas?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pael wrote:Is it mental bliss or is it physical bliss? Does it mean bliss of meditative absorption? Can samsaric being benefit bliss of Buddhas before achieving Buddhahood or Bodhisattva bhumis? Does these apply also for purity, permanence and self of Buddhas?
It is ultimate bliss.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Is soma or nectar consider something that is intrinsic to ourselves?
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Is dewa the Tibetan word for bliss or is there another word?
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

sangyey wrote:Is soma or nectar consider something that is intrinsic to ourselves?

This is explained in the book "Homa Variations" in the chapter about Buddhist sexual yoga.
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

This is explained in the book "Homa Variations" in the chapter about Buddhist sexual yoga.
Thank you.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

sangyey wrote:
Thank you.
:twothumbsup:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Inge

Post by Inge »

Is the bliss of the jhanas contrary to the bodhisattva path? Is it contrary to Dzogchen?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Inge wrote:Is the bliss of the jhanas contrary to the bodhisattva path? Is it contrary to Dzogchen?
It is a consequence of... so why would it be contrary?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Inge

Post by Inge »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Inge wrote:Is the bliss of the jhanas contrary to the bodhisattva path? Is it contrary to Dzogchen?
It is a consequence of... so why would it be contrary?
Does it not just consume merit?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Really no need for them.
Inge

Post by Inge »

Virgo wrote:
Really no need for them.
OK, but are they contrary?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Virgo wrote:
Really no need for them.
It is not a matter of "need" or "want", it is like saying there is no need for heat to be hot.

Bliss is a quality of Buddha Nature, love it or lump it.

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Inge wrote:
Virgo wrote:
Really no need for them.
OK, but are they contrary?
I am not totally sure. However, they take a lot of time to cultivate, and that time could be used better.. Also, it is important for us to guard against falling into a state of peace, and these states are known the help facilitate that state.

Have a great day.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Also they are connected with the path of renunciation, so I see no point in cultivating them from a tantric perspective. And good Bodhisattvas enter tantra so...

Kevin
Inge

Post by Inge »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Virgo wrote:
Really no need for them.
It is not a matter of "need" or "want", it is like saying there is no need for heat to be hot.

Bliss is a quality of Buddha Nature, love it or lump it.
I seem to remember that Malcolm said it is beneficial to be in the jhanas while doing the positions of Dzogchen....?

When I asked my Karma Kagyu lama about the bliss of shamata meditation, his answer was: "this is what we have to do".

I gave up shamata practice because I crave that bliss so badly.

What am I to do?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”