Red White Bodhicitta

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
sangyey

Red White Bodhicitta

Post by sangyey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:37 am

I was wondering if anyone knows if Red and White Bodhicitta is the same as Soma (water aspect) and Agni (fire aspect) found in Hinduism?

Thank you.

Simon E.

Re: Red White Bodhicitta

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:52 am

Best I think, to be consistent to one tradition under the guidance of a teacher of that tradition.
One can have respect for all. But no one can follow more than tradition to completion.
" Smokey the Bear will surely appear with his Vajra Shovel".

'The Smokey The Bear Sutra' Gary Snyder.

sangyey

Post by sangyey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:00 pm

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent in Tibetan Buddhism of soma and agni found in Hinduism?

muni

Post by muni » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:52 pm

Hello Sangyey,

Red-white Bodhichitta. Perhaps you can look to union of moon-sun/ or union of red-white bindus. (Union Compassion-Wisdom)

Here a short note.
I should just mention, since sometimes people come across this in tantra and it can be quite confusing, that in the highest class of tantra, we speak about white and red bodhichittas. Now, these are forms of very subtle material phenomena, physical phenomena. These are not states of mind. These are very subtle… difficult to find a good word, but let us call them sparks of creative energy that each of us has. And in the highest class of tantra, in the very advanced stages of it, once we gain the ability to do this – which is incredibly difficult to gain, that ability – then we can move these very subtle creative energies within our body and dissolve them into the heart chakra in order to be able to achieve or access the subtlest level of mind. It’s called the clear light mind (’od-gsal). And then use that for focusing on voidness and achieving enlightenment, because it’s the most efficient level of mind.

And so these are substances and methods that we work with, these white and red bodhichittas, in order to actually achieve deepest bodhichitta, this clear light mind focused on voidness. And so often in Buddhism the name of the result is given to the cause, they say, and so the result – which is bodhichitta, deepest bodhichitta – that name is given to these two types of creative subtle energy within the body. That’s what is white and red bodhichitta ... Alexander Berzin.
:namaste:
Buddha said all is empty like my brain.
Let’s make a selfie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySLYcu2ULA
Having meditated on love and compassion, I forgot the difference between myself and others. Yogi Milarepa.

sangyey

Post by sangyey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Thank you

sangyey

Post by sangyey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:27 pm

Is White Bodhicitta nectar? I know in Indian Yogic tradition the Sahaswara or Bindu Chakra (not sure which one) produces nectar and they even have a practice using Kechari Mudra to gather the nectar before it burns up in the Manipuri Chakra. It seems almost equivalent in the Tibetan tradition with White Bodhicitta being located in the Crown Chakra but just not sure if White Bodhicitta is nectar. :thanks: