Accumulations

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Terma

Accumulations

Post by Terma » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:24 pm

When one is doing accumulations, in this case ngondro accumulations, is it best to complete full mala's as opposed to let's say one-and-a-half mala's, for example?

There is not always time for a second or third mala's worth in a morning session before work so in this case is doing a half or even a quarter mala worth doing? Every little bit counts...

May seem like a silly question, but I have heard in a teaching for example, that there are specific reasons that we recite prayers 3 times, 7 times, or 21 times and not 2 or 10. I would have to go back and dig up the audio teaching for that little explanation, but it was interesting.

Has anyone received any advice regarding doing full mala's as opposed to partial mala's when doing the accumulations?

kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Accumulations

Post by kirtu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:38 am

Terma wrote: Has anyone received any advice regarding doing full mala's as opposed to partial mala's when doing the accumulations?
I was told (in a group) by a Western Sakya nun that generally ngondro accumulations are done based on full mala rounds.

However I saw a Nyingma lineage holder sort of upbraid a group because they hadn't finidhed their prostrations. He specifically said that if people present had done only 10 prostrations a day they would have finished by now.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Soma999

Post by Soma999 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:47 am

A monk who has all day long to practice can perform many accumulations.

We are not monk. We have to adapt. I would say give your best, give to the best of what you can give. And put all your heart in it. It's more important than accumulating millions of mantras.

If tantras were all about accumulations, computer would be better practitionner than ourself.

If tantras were all about being flexible and having good asanas, monkeys would be better practitionner than ourself.

The most important is the mind. And also, just adapt to your circonstances. I am amazed to see traditions moving from a context to another without the slightest change into the context.

I find quiet normal to say to accumulate millions of mantras for someone who as only that to do all day long. But it's something different for someone who has a job, a family...

And by the way, having social interactions can be a marvelous way to grow also. As the prverb say "we never stink alone". So, it's also good to see other people.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:27 am

Terma wrote:When one is doing accumulations, in this case ngondro accumulations, is it best to complete full mala's as opposed to let's say one-and-a-half mala's, for example?

There is not always time for a second or third mala's worth in a morning session before work so in this case is doing a half or even a quarter mala worth doing? Every little bit counts...

May seem like a silly question, but I have heard in a teaching for example, that there are specific reasons that we recite prayers 3 times, 7 times, or 21 times and not 2 or 10. I would have to go back and dig up the audio teaching for that little explanation, but it was interesting.

Has anyone received any advice regarding doing full mala's as opposed to partial mala's when doing the accumulations?

Just do as many as you can. A full mala makes it easier to remember how many you have done though. I personally used a electronic hand counter for the prostatrations. Makes them quicker and counting easier.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

heart

Post by heart » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Terma wrote:When one is doing accumulations, in this case ngondro accumulations, is it best to complete full mala's as opposed to let's say one-and-a-half mala's, for example?

I heard many different ideas about this, certainly not unusual to say that you need to do one mala. I think you should talk about with your lama about this since whatever he/she says is what matters.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:50 pm

I've always been taught to always count only full malas when doing accumulations of mantra. However, when it comes to prostrations, I've been taught that you count however many you can do in any given session.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:13 pm

kirtu wrote:However I saw a Nyingma lineage holder sort of upbraid a group because they hadn't finidhed their prostrations. He specifically said that if people present had done only 10 prostrations a day they would have finished by now.
I find this somewhat confusing. Assuming they were supposed to accumulate 100,000 prostrations, by my reckoning it would take more than 27 years at the rate of 10 per day. Had they been studying with him that long?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:11 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
kirtu wrote:However I saw a Nyingma lineage holder sort of upbraid a group because they hadn't finidhed their prostrations. He specifically said that if people present had done only 10 prostrations a day they would have finished by now.
I find this somewhat confusing. Assuming they were supposed to accumulate 100,000 prostrations, by my reckoning it would take more than 27 years at the rate of 10 per day. Had they been studying with him that long?
No, but the people he was addressing had been studying with him for about 10 years. You are correct that they should have done 30 prostrations a day. He did correct himself later and encouraged them but his point was that they could have even cleared a number of obstacles by then through prostrations.

However that was now 17 years or so in the past .....

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”