A Mongolian Manual of Astrology and Divination

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Fortyeightvows

A Mongolian Manual of Astrology and Divination

Post by Fortyeightvows »

"In 2001, the National Library of Medicine (NLM) launched Turning the Pages, a resource providing interactive access to a range of rare books, manuscripts, and documents from the historical collections of the NLM on its website, via iPad App, and in onsite kiosks."

This colorfully illustrated handwritten book is part of a collection at NLM of about fifty manuscripts from Mongolia, many of them dealing with astrology, astronomy, and divination from a Buddhist perspective. Prominent among the subjects divined about are health and wellness. This particular manuscript is full of charts and diagrams that astrologers, generally Buddhist monks, would use to calculate auspicious times to do certain things, such as depart on a trip or remove a dead body from a dwelling. "

http://publicdomainreview.org/collectio ... ivination/
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: A Mongolian Manual of Astrology and Divination

Post by Grigoris »

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
tingdzin

Re: A Mongolian Manual of Astrology and Divination

Post by tingdzin »

Yes, thanks!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”