Lamas and their empowerments

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Lamas and their empowerments

Post by Tenma »

Excuse me, but does anyone know any lamas that offer the empowerments to White Saraswati(I'm mainly focused on finding this one with the one with the lute), Red Saraswati, any of the forms of Saraswati, the 12 Tenma, or the 5 Sisters of Long Life? If so, where can I contact them or reach them or what website can they be found at?
Tenma

Re: Lamas and their empowerments

Post by Tenma »

I've tried to look up the lamas, but I haven't been successful. Could anyone please name a lama I can contact for this?
heart

Post by heart »

Tenma wrote:I've tried to look up the lamas, but I haven't been successful. Could anyone please name a lama I can contact for this?
Any qualified Nyingma master, up to you who you want to approach.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Tenma,

Heart is right. Just go to a Lama you respect and have faith in and ask Him or Her if They can give you the wang you are looking for. Maybe They can and maybe They can't, but They may be able to refer you to another Lama Who can. In Vajrayana Buddhism, empowerments happen typically because someone asks a Lama to give that particular empowerment. In other words, traditionally the process is request driven. If you request a wang to be given, be prepared that the Teacher may then have some requirements from you in return in terms of organizing, funding, etc. Maybe/maybe not.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There is a collection of empowerments and sadhanas called the Chik She Kun Drol, quite popular in Karma Kagyu circles. It contains many of these empowerments and transmissions, if I recall. I have the white Saraswati from that collection, and some others as well. Many Kagyu Lamas will give empowerments from that collection. I don't recall all the wangs in that collection, so not sure all of the ones you seek are there.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dechenpa

Post by dechenpa »

Lama Jampa Thaye gave White Saraswati in France a few years ago and conducted a few days of practice on it. It was from the Bodong Panchen lineage.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

The Chikshé Kundröl ("Knowing One Liberates All") cycle of empowerments mentioned by Cone above aldo includes a Red Manjushri with a Blue Saraswati standing in front of him. This is the Short Manjushri sadhana sold by KTD.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Thanks for all replying, but would it be possible to practice both Sakya and Nyingma White Saraswatis? I'm not too sure on the differences, but would like to know if it's okay. I found Lama Kunga Thartse Rinpoche gives the Red Saraswati empowerment, but not too sure on the White one event though he gave me a mantra to her. Since he already matched the signs of a root guru I experienced along with some female calling my name(after chanting one mala of the mantra he gave me, a female called my Korean name even though no one except my family members knows that and they weren't there. The neighbors also weren't around, so I took it as a very special sign). I know Tulku Yeshi Rinpoche gives it, but I don't know how to contact him as I live faraway and my parents are very stubborn towards Buddhist beliefs(so I have to hide my practice as a high schooler). How are the Nyingma and Sakya Saraswatis different? The Kagyu Saraswati also sparks my interest, but right now, I'm taking the Sakya Saraswati first.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

In Chokyi Gocha's terma cycle revelaed in Rebgong, Amdo in the 19th century, Red Sarawati is the main practice. However, there is also a White Saraswati sadhana as well as a Chokyi Gocha Guru yoga in the form of Manjushri and a Vajrakilaya sadhana. So if you received this entire cycle (not very large), you would have both Red and White Saraswati. Lama Pema Dorje of Oakland, CA is able to give this.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”