Your favourite hagiographies and biogprahies?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Vasana

Your favourite hagiographies and biogprahies?

Post by Vasana » Wed May 03, 2017 7:32 pm

As the title suggests....what/who are some of your favourite hagiographies and biographies and why?
I've not read many and I often hear that they're very good for keeping the ol' inspiration lamp burning.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

Thomas Amundsen

Re: Your favourite hagiographies and biogprahies?

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed May 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Masters of Meditation and Miracles was pretty awesome, although that's basically the only one I've read. It's basically a collection of namthars of the Longchen Nyingthig lineage lamas.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed May 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Without any doubt, "Blazing Splendor" is the best book of this type I have read.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Wed May 03, 2017 8:04 pm

I'll second both of those recommendations.

Also, Shabkar's biography, and Timeless Rapture, about the Shangpa Kagyu lineage masters.

But for me, even more inspiring than all of these, is the Autobiography of Jamgon Kongtrul.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

heart

Post by heart » Wed May 03, 2017 8:04 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:Without any doubt, "Blazing Splendor" is the best book of this type I have read.
I agree.

then this: http://www.shambhala.com/wondrous-dance ... usion.html
and this: http://www.shambhala.com/brilliant-moon-227.html

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

heart

Post by heart » Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 pm

conebeckham wrote:
But for me, even more inspiring than all of these, is the Autobiography of Jamgon Kongtrul.
I second that.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 pm

9781559391849.jpg
9781559391849.jpg (412.6 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

ratna

Post by ratna » Wed May 03, 2017 8:40 pm

All great suggestions, I too second Kongtrul's bio in particular. I'll add A Saint in Seattle,
The Life of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, and Enlightened Rainbows (the last link is to a pirate site but as far as I understand the author is OK with that mode of distribution).

R

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Drukpa Kunley is quite a laugh
http://keithdowman.net/books/divine-madman.html

But I also really like Samten Lingpa's terma biography of Yeshe Tsogyal.
http://www.shambhala.com/lady-of-the-lotus-born.html

There are loads of Guru Rinpoche ones I like, but Yeshe Tsogyal has the transformation from aspiring practitioner to full realised siddha that GR namthars tend to lack.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Enlightened Beings: Life Stories from the Ganden Oral Tradition is pretty awesome and as the name suggests is the Gaden oral tradition.

My personal favourite is Lobsang Chokyi Gyaltsen, the 1st Panchen Lama. It's also interesting how detailed the recordings of teachings attended are.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

crazy-man

Post by crazy-man » Wed May 03, 2017 10:54 pm

Lopez, Donald S. (Jr.) (2007). The Madman's Middle Way: Reflections on Reality of the Tibetan Monk Gendun Choephel. University Of Chicago Press
https://www.lionsroar.com/a-modern-man-in-old-tibet/

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu May 04, 2017 12:19 am

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Thu May 04, 2017 1:04 am

Milarepa's hagiography by Tsang Nyön Heruka is good, and to balance it out you could also read The Biographies of Rechungpa by Peter Alan Roberts, as it gives earlier accounts of Jetsun Mila's life and how Rechungpa figured more prominently in them.

The All-Pervading Melodious Sound of Thunder: The Outer Liberation Story of Tertön Migyur Dorjé is an exceptional namthar written about the young man who revealed the Namchö terma cycle, written by none other than Karma Chagme Raga Asye himself!

Speaking of, the biographical section on him as written by Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche in the KTD Publications version of Karma Chakme's Mountain Dharma in the Volume 1 acts as a great namthar, too.

Lastly, Sarah Harding's translation of Machik's Complete Explanation has a big portion of it devoted to Machik Labdrön's life story. Lion of Siddhas similarly covers the life of Padampa Sangye.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Terma

Post by Terma » Thu May 04, 2017 11:01 am

I Just finished "Blazing Splendor" which was fantastic.

These two hold a special place in my heart:

"Precious Essence: The Inner Biography of Terchen Barway Dorje"

And

"The Light of Dawn: A Brief Biography of the Second Barway Dorje".

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'm on a bit of a T.U.R kick at the moment so I might check out Blazing Splendor to begin with.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

madhusudan

Post by madhusudan » Thu May 04, 2017 2:03 pm

I've bookmarked this thread for future reference as hagiography has been my most favorite genre ever since reading the 100,000 Songs long ago. Thanks for all the great recommendations in one convenient location.

I liked Buddha's Lions: The Lives of the Eighty-four Siddhas.
https://shop.dharmapublishing.com/produ ... dhas-lions

It's full of shorter tales on many familiar and, for me, unfamiliar Siddhas. Some are rather unique.

Probably next on my list is A Clear Mirror if it can be said to fit this niche.
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Mirror-Tra ... 9627341673

Can anyone who has read it comment on that volume?

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu May 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Vasana wrote:Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'm on a bit of a T.U.R kick at the moment so I might check out Blazing Splendor to begin with.
Methinks you shan't regret this.

BTW, there's a fairly amusing reference to "Blazing Splendor" in DJKR's new book.

Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X » Thu May 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Very highly regarded here in Thailand. Guru of Maha Bua who was considered an Arahant. Maha Bua had a unique style. Very different from the mainstream here.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu May 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Anonymous X wrote:
Very highly regarded here in Thailand. Guru of Maha Bua who was considered an Arahant. Maha Bua had a unique style. Very different from the mainstream here.
No doubt. I was attempting to humorously point out that this thread is located in the Tibetan Buddhism forum, so presumably the OP was looking for books about practitioners of Tibetan Buddhism.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”