Chhinamunda / Vajrayogini?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tellyontellyon

Chhinamunda / Vajrayogini?

Post by tellyontellyon »

I've come across a version of Vajrayogini called Chhinnamunda, there is a connection with the Hindu goddess Chhinnamasta. Had a look already at Wiki and done some Google searches, but can't find out very much from a Buddhist point-of-view.

Does anybody here do this practice, what is the purpose of the practice? What's all the decapitation thing about?

Thank you.
:anjali:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
Fortyeightvows

Re: Chhinamunda / Vajrayogini?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

You can get some info from elizabeth english's book
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

Will look that up, but do you know any more before I go and buy a book?
- Rumi
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Not really but I think that a pdf can be found online
Kushi

Post by Kushi »

I second Elizabeth English's "Vajrayogini: Her Visualizations, Rituals and Forms". It's an excellent resource for the various female yidams of the Guhyasamayasadhanamala. I can also recommend Elisabeth Anne Benard's book, which is a comparison/analysis of both Chinnamunda and Chinnamasta. It's a little light on analysis, but might point you in helpful directions.

Anyway, I have long nourished an interest in this deity, as well as those deities which seem to overlap with her to some degree. There is relatively little info on her, unfortunately. Just fragments. Let us know if you find anything substantial.

Actually, for any of those more in the know.... Does anyone know if Chinnamunda sadhanas are still practiced in the Tibetan Vajrayana at all? Or at any point in the last 800 years?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Kushi wrote:I can also recommend Elisabeth Anne Benard's book, which is a comparison/analysis of both Chinnamunda and Chinnamasta. It's a little light on analysis, but might point you in helpful directions.
Whoa!! Thanks alot for that! :good: :cheers: :yinyang:
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Buddhist Goddesses of India By Miranda Eberle Shaw
https://books.google.de/books?id=MvDKOK ... ia&f=false

Tantric Visions of the Divine Feminine: The Ten Mahāvidyās By David R. Kinsley
https://de.scribd.com/doc/59502574/Davi ... Mahavidyas

chinnamuṇḍasādhana
http://jinglu.cbeta.org/cgi-bin/tibet.p ... ow_page=52
ratna

Post by ratna »

Kushi wrote:Does anyone know if Chinnamunda sadhanas are still practiced in the Tibetan Vajrayana at all? Or at any point in the last 800 years?
Yes. AFAIK, her empowerment from the Virupa tradition was given in the US in 2014 by HH the Sakya Trizin, for example. Her practice is also transmitted as part of the Rinchen Terdzö.
fckw

Post by fckw »

I am also very much interested in Chinnamunda, but unfortunately it's really hard to find anything about her.
Kushi wrote:I second Elizabeth English's "Vajrayogini: Her Visualizations, Rituals and Forms". It's an excellent resource for the various female yidams of the Guhyasamayasadhanamala. I can also recommend Elisabeth Anne Benard's book, which is a comparison/analysis of both Chinnamunda and Chinnamasta. It's a little light on analysis, but might point you in helpful directions.
[/qute]
I own both books, they are both excellent. Beyond them, I could unfortunately not find anything else.
Actually, for any of those more in the know.... Does anyone know if Chinnamunda sadhanas are still practiced in the Tibetan Vajrayana at all? Or at any point in the last 800 years?
Most people that I've asked did not know a lot about any ongoing Buddhist practice. If there are any active practitioners, they certainly are not active on the internet. The highest chances to get transmission are probably with some Sakya or possibly with some Kagyu-lineages. If you find anyone who is willing to give a transmission, let me know.

Also note that there are a few temples where Chinnamasta ("Hindu version" of Chinnamunda) is actively practised in Nepal. But again, unless you are a local it's probably very hard to find anyone reliable who can give you a transmission. Chinnamasta seems to be somewhat related to the Vamamarga path, one more reason why it's generally very difficult to find anyone knowledgeable and also willing to give you more information.

The decapitation symbolism is quite interesting. Note that Chinnamunda does not only decapitate herself with full intention, but from her spurting blood she also nourishes not only herself but also the other two goddesses next to her. So, in other words, the type of compassion she stands for is really extreme. Her compassion is bloody, gory, fully embodied. For example, teaching disciples through means of sexual intercourse might be close to her heart. Also, she could easily be a protector of women giving birth to children, given the painful, bloody, yet fiercely compassionate process this constitutes.
Also note that she is fully nude. This indicates that she is not only sexually aroused and completely without shame (like many other dakinis too) but even shockingly self-conscious about her terrifying appearance. Chinnamunda questions societal norms of what is acceptable and what is not, in fact she even teaches in her unorthodox ways by confronting people with their own limitations often using the means of shock.
So, she is closely related to the act of (self-) sacrifice, unifying that which is sacrificed, the one who is performing the sacrifice and the act of sacrifice itself.

There obviously is also a connection to the three channels (left and right channel symbolised by the two accompanying goddesses, central channel symbolised by herself), but if there is any specific meditation method connected to it I could not find it out.

So, yes, if anyone knows about any empowerment given throughout the world, I'd very much appreciate any hints.
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

Looks interesting, a fierce form of compassion indeed!

Thank you..
- Rumi
fckw

Post by fckw »

Another book that contains a short but complete sadhana for Chinnamunda is "Deities of Tibetan Buddhism" by Willson and Brauen.
Natan

Post by Natan »

tellyontellyon wrote:I've come across a version of Vajrayogini called Chhinnamunda, there is a connection with the Hindu goddess Chhinnamasta. Had a look already at Wiki and done some Google searches, but can't find out very much from a Buddhist point-of-view.

Does anybody here do this practice, what is the purpose of the practice? What's all the decapitation thing about?

Thank you.
:anjali:
There's also Hindu Camunda. And Buddhist Vajra Camunda
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I was just looking at Miranda Shaw's Goddess book and it includes a chapter devoted to this goddess. She traces the goddess back to the mahasiddha laksminkara. It is worth reading it if you are interested, but she does cite one teacher who, as per the tos: shall-not-be-named.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm I was just looking at Miranda Shaw's Goddess book and it includes a chapter devoted to this goddess. She traces the goddess back to the mahasiddha laksminkara. It is worth reading it if you are interested, but she does cite one teacher who, as per the tos: shall-not-be-named.
Why? Is it unknown or is it of a banned spirit's practitioner?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm I was just looking at Miranda Shaw's Goddess book and it includes a chapter devoted to this goddess. She traces the goddess back to the mahasiddha laksminkara. It is worth reading it if you are interested, but she does cite one teacher who, as per the tos: shall-not-be-named.
Afaik some traces this Dakini back to Krishnacarya/Nagpopa
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”