Some Dos and Don’ts of Mantric or Tantric Healing

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Some Dos and Don’ts of Mantric or Tantric Healing

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

In the post that follows I offer yet another translation of a chapter from Tibetan tantric yogi and traditional doctor Dr Nida Chenagtsang’s book on Tibetan Mantra Healing (I’ve already provided translations of a number of chapters from this book, called rten ‘brel sngags bcos rig pa in Tibetan, here on my blog – you can find these posts by searching under the tags ‘dr nyida chenaktsang’ and ‘mantra healing’). In this short chapter Dr Nida provides an overview of ‘things to avoid and things to take up’ (spang blang) when doing mantra healing, using a traditional Buddhist turn of phrase which I’ve rendered more colloquially and chattily here as ‘dos and don’ts’. In the sections that follow, Dr Nida outlines suggested everyday behaviour and dietary prohibitions for tantrikas and mantrins and describes common ritual taboos connected with mantra healing practice as well as the optimal times and locations to do different kinds of tantric or mantric rituals.
https://perfumedskull.com/2017/06/14/so ... c-healing/
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

naljor

Re: Some Dos and Don’ts of Mantric or Tantric Healing

Post by naljor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Very interesting, thanks, is it from the point of view of lower tantras? For example it says Nettle soup diminishes mantra power for half a month – but wasn’t there a yogi who lived on nettle soup?
What is most interesting for me is how successfully alternate periods of doing mantra with ordinary speech activities in daily life.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:53 pm

naljor wrote:Very interesting, thanks, is it from the point of view of lower tantras? For example it says Nettle soup diminishes mantra power for half a month – but wasn’t there a yogi who lived on nettle soup?
Yes, Milarepa.

What is most interesting for me is how successfully alternate periods of doing mantra with ordinary speech activities in daily life.
All speech is mantra.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Malcolm wrote:All speech is mantra.
Indeed.

Grunts and groans are fine when one is making love, but they don't make for great conversation outside the bedroom context.

Singing is also speech, but it doesn't go down all that well when we go for a job interview (unless it is to apply for the position of a singer in a band).

So I think it is quite valid to say that there are different types of speech, for different purposes, and mantra recitation for healing is for a rather specific purpose.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:04 pm

Do listen to the teacher who gives you the mantra.
Don't rely on forums or blogs.

Do as I say not as I do.
Don't take any notice of anything I say.

That do?

It is an entertaining blog, though.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”