My Bodhi seed wrist mala color detereoriating

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kimjihoon5924

My Bodhi seed wrist mala color detereoriating

Post by kimjihoon5924 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 am

I feel like my Bodhi seed wrist mala is darkening over time. Is it natural? Will this halt the value of the wrist mala?

Photo of the wrist mala: https://ibb.co/b2iOvF

Lobsang Chojor

Re: My Bodhi seed wrist mala color detereoriating

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:48 pm

I think it's natural, the same is happening with my Sandalwood mala. I think it's the oils from your skin that change the colour.

What do you mean by, "will this halt the value of the mala"?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:I think it's natural, the same is happening with my Sandalwood mala. I think it's the oils from your skin that change the colour.
That's right. And oils - any kind - help preserve the wood.

:coffee:
Kim

kimjihoon5924

Post by kimjihoon5924 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:I think it's natural, the same is happening with my Sandalwood mala. I think it's the oils from your skin that change the colour.

Apology regarding my use of language. What I meant is whether the darkening of the beads will lead to any negative results during prostrations or mantra recitation.

kimjihoon5924

Post by kimjihoon5924 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:32 pm

I don't have any Sandalwood oil as I couldn't get it anywhere near I live right now. However, I use 100% chemical free Olive oil to lubricate the beads so that it wont crack or be damaged. Is is ok to use Olive oil?

kimjihoon5924

Post by kimjihoon5924 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Btw, How long should we leave the oil on the mala? I usually leave the oil on the mala for an hour or so and rub the remaining throughout my mala.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:28 pm

kimjihoon5924 wrote:Apology regarding my use of language. What I meant is whether the darkening of the beads will lead to any negative results during prostrations or mantra recitation.
I think it doesn't matter, it shows use so that could be a good sign.

Personally, I've never oiled my mala so I can't offer any advice about that.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Gyurme Kundrol

Post by Gyurme Kundrol » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Are you wearing a mala because its shiny and new, as a fashion accessory? Or are you wearing it to practice?

Try wearing a bone mala. They go from pearly white to a off white/yellow color pretty damned quick. Such is the nature of Samsara though...

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:12 pm

kimjihoon5924 wrote:

Apology regarding my use of language. What I meant is whether the darkening of the beads will lead to any negative results during prostrations or mantra recitation.
Some use tea to darken the Bodhi and the natural Bodhi seed darkens with use.

TashiBob4671

Post by TashiBob4671 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:10 pm

What I've been told and have seen when surfing the web (fueling my attachment to malas) is that with use, the bodhi seed will become smaller and darken due to the oils in your hands. I was at a trade show where they were selling new natural bodhi seed for around $50 and then antique Bodhi Seed Malas entwined with turquoise and other precious things, the beads made small and dark from years of use for $150. But that's only the price they've put on them.

I've darkened a couple bodhi seed malas myself before giving them away. I think it shows the dedication of the practitioner that uses it, personally.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”