Very sad news: Letter to Sogyal Rinpoche / Abuse allegations

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Locked

emaho
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Very bad news

Post by emaho » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:13 am

Nothing new about it except for the update at the bottom of the page:
Update: On Friday afternoon, July 21, Lion’s Roar received from Rigpa a press release in response to the letter; it indicates that Sogyal Rinpoche will “step back” as the community looks into next steps.
That's probably going to be shattering for his students. From the letter of response in this article

https://www.lionsroar.com/rigpa-press-r ... -rinpoche/

it sounds like it's more a temporary time-out
We respect Sogyal Rinpoche’s decision to step back and to enter a period of retreat and reflection, and find it wise.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 8148
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Very sad news

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:22 am

I wish the best to the Rigpa community and pray for some serious healing to take place.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Very sad news

Post by CedarTree » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:33 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I wish the best to the Rigpa community and pray for some serious healing to take place.
I second this.

I think we need to start creating ethical standards though were money and lifestyles are humble. This is a spiritual path after all.

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 3136
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: Very sad news

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:09 am

“Your physical abuse – which constitutes a crime under the laws of the lands where you have done these acts...
So call the police on each and every 'physical abuse' and have him arrested.

Sounds like a "buddhist" version of domestic abuse victims.
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Very sad news

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:13 am

CedarTree wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:I wish the best to the Rigpa community and pray for some serious healing to take place.
I second this.

I think we need to start creating ethical standards though were money and lifestyles are humble. This is a spiritual path after all.
the ethical standards are already in place. it's sad that a teacher as highly respected as this could act in such manner, but I applaud the students for speaking out.

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Very sad news

Post by CedarTree » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:30 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
CedarTree wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:I wish the best to the Rigpa community and pray for some serious healing to take place.
I second this.

I think we need to start creating ethical standards though were money and lifestyles are humble. This is a spiritual path after all.
the ethical standards are already in place. it's sad that a teacher as highly respected as this could act in such manner, but I applaud the students for speaking out.
Not on the monetary side evidently.

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Very sad news

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:31 am

FWIW, here's a response from SR:
https://whatnow727.wordpress.com/responses/
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28244
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Very sad news

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:46 am

dzogchungpa wrote:FWIW, here's a response from SR:
https://whatnow727.wordpress.com/responses/
Doesn't seem to be worth very much: a lot of me, me, me, and not very much else.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28244
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Very sad news

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:47 am

CedarTree wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:I wish the best to the Rigpa community and pray for some serious healing to take place.
I second this.

I think we need to start creating ethical standards though were money and lifestyles are humble. This is a spiritual path after all.
There is nothing wrong with wealthy teachers. How they derive their wealth however is of some concern.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Very sad news

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 am

Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:FWIW, here's a response from SR:
https://whatnow727.wordpress.com/responses/
Doesn't seem to be worth very much: a lot of me, me, me, and not very much else.
Yup.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Very sad news

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:03 am

I can only hope that his letter is sincere. with all respect, how can a teacher of such high regard act in such a way? I would think that his training and realization would prevent such behavior.

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 8148
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Very sad news

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 am

I almost wonder if this is a kind of face-saving resignation letter.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

User avatar
Karma_Yeshe
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Very sad news

Post by Karma_Yeshe » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:29 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I almost wonder if this is a kind of face-saving resignation letter.
I don't think so.

"Yet I will of course still be there for you all, sharing teachings and guidance from my retreat, and meeting with you whenever the time is right."

Sounds more like he needs time to think how he can maintain/save his position, rather than thinking about stepping back or going into a real retreat.

------------------

"I am clear in my own mind that I have never, ever, acted towards anyone with a motive of selfish gain or harmful intent."

If someone believes this to be true after everything that has been said by his students, I don't know...

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17657
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Very sad news

Post by Grigoris » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:40 am

Yet another episode in the neverending Sogyal Rinpoche saga...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Vasana
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Re: Very sad news

Post by Vasana » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 am

All sounds very messy. Let's just hope for all involved that samayas are repairable.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

TRC
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:23 am

Re: Very sad news

Post by TRC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:19 am

Here is a link to the full letter composed by current and former Rigpa students, that was sent to Lion's Roar: http://openboeddhisme.nl/wp-content/upl ... -2017-.pdf

If you are not aware of the depth of depravity that Sogyal Rinpoche has sunk to, you may find the contents of this letter disturbing.

Edit: I noticed these links at the end of the letter which might be useful for those who may need support:

https://sanghacare8.wixsite.com/sanghacareresources
https://whatnow727.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Lingpupa
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

Re: Very sad news

Post by Lingpupa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:32 am

TharpaChodron wrote:I can only hope that his letter is sincere. with all respect, how can a teacher of such high regard act in such a way? I would think that his training and realization would prevent such behavior.
This has been a long time coming. I have met several of his committed students, and they are good people. I feel sad for the pain they will be going through now or soon.

But I quote the quote because it may pay to recall that he never did have a lot of training. If ever a tulku recognition were under suspicion of being a title of convenience, his is - you can find the story easily enough I'm sure. And as for realization - that is something to be judged by it's fruits, I think.

For him to go into retreat may well be overdue, but it is remarkably convenient that it shuts down questions to him from his own people - "The lama can't discuss that right now because he is in retreat."

A sad time for many of his students, but it was more a question of when and how this would happen, rather than whether.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Very sad news

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Lingpupa wrote:
TharpaChodron wrote:I can only hope that his letter is sincere. with all respect, how can a teacher of such high regard act in such a way? I would think that his training and realization would prevent such behavior.
This has been a long time coming. I have met several of his committed students, and they are good people. I feel sad for the pain they will be going through now or soon.

But I quote the quote because it may pay to recall that he never did have a lot of training. If ever a tulku recognition were under suspicion of being a title of convenience, his is - you can find the story easily enough I'm sure. And as for realization - that is something to be judged by it's fruits, I think.

For him to go into retreat may well be overdue, but it is remarkably convenient that it shuts down questions to him from his own people - "The lama can't discuss that right now because he is in retreat."

A sad time for many of his students, but it was more a question of when and how this would happen, rather than whether.
I'm just going to have to say :good: I've never been a student of his and really just know him from his large following and assumed. interesting

MiphamFan
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:46 am

Re: Very sad news

Post by MiphamFan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Looks like Mary Finnegan has been vindicated.

Locked

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heart, Norwegian and 94 guests