Lungta/Prayer Flags

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jet.urgyen

Lungta/Prayer Flags

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hello all,

i would like to make lungtas, but i dont know much about designs, are there some directions on this matter? i mean for making them in a correct way.

Thank's
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
jkarlins

Re: Lungta/Prayer Flags

Post by jkarlins »

Since we're on the topic, if anyone could help with this, it would be appreciated very much. I have wondered about this too.

Jake
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

In my estimation making the flags would be pretty simple, one could even buy them. But knowing when and where to hang them: thats most important!
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Ok, I agree that the time of putting them up is important. I've always tried for the morning of "PF days" based on my calendar. Mornings better? Same as later in the day?

I disagree that making them is simple, although buying them is definitely an option. The designs seem traditional, precise, and significant. Which is to say, without woodblocks, or some kind of accurate design on a computer, making your own seems iffy. I say this having tried to design my own a few times, and they didn't "feel" right, so I took them down in favor of the real thing.

I've seen purely decorative ones (like with "Peace ... love... kindness" on them) but that seems totally different, a decoration only, not an effective ritual object.

Jake
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

jkarlins wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:56 am Ok, I agree that the time of putting them up is important. I've always tried for the morning of "PF days" based on my calendar. Mornings better? Same as later in the day?

I disagree that making them is simple, although buying them is definitely an option. The designs seem traditional, precise, and significant. Which is to say, without woodblocks, or some kind of accurate design on a computer, making your own seems iffy. I say this having tried to design my own a few times, and they didn't "feel" right, so I took them down in favor of the real thing.
If you can't read the script on them, and no one around you can, well then...
By making them is simple, I wouldn't take too much to print on or to just draw on to cloth. Mantras, magic words, auspicious symbols, etc, just have to see that the ink doesn't mess up if it gets wet. Right?
It's sympathetic/correspondence magic.

Maybe the only difference between the ones you made and the ones you call 'the real thing' is just your faith.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

It's an interesting point, faith, and we could spin off in any number of directions from here. I'd worry that it would become a sort of back and forth argument, and I'm not really interested in that. It can work sometimes, but here it seems not to, most times. Which is to say, I hold to my original point re: precision although I don't want to press the issue.

But really I'd like hear from others who have some understanding or experience of making lungtas. If you or others have done so, and are happy with the results, or have a good story, I'd be glad to hear it.

Jake
muni

Post by muni »

Not easy without print. Often when you buy them, you can support/benefit a monastery or project. Some kinds: https://tnp.org/tibetan-prayer-flags-made-blessed-nuns/ Perhaps you can find some info here http://www.instructables.com/id/Tibetian-Prayer-Flags/ and https://classroom.synonym.com/how-to-ma ... 77960.html

Lasts now are hung above barbed wire, a wire symbolic to the variety of pain of beings of the so called realms and the wish to soften or free all from pain. Hanging them for the benefit of all is very much benefitting, because by the care for all a much vaster joy opens, send in all directions, while the ‘joy’ by protection, pleasing oneself is very unstable as trying to hold water in a fist.

Thank you for your intention!
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

When we did them in our community we needed at least 3 people on making them and 1 to dry them. But that was our first time doing it soo there must be better way. Anyway you need a printing wood (really not sure how it is called in english) with the details carved into it. AFAIK the design on them doesn't really matter.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
muni

Post by muni »

Print block is needed. This is not present?
An idea: No need to add olympics.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Good advice, but please get the lung/oral transmission for sang and/or lung-ta. This is a vital part of making these practices work. Maybe not 100% indispensable, but vital none the less. The more you practice, the more you will understand this. It is not simply a conceptual thing but a meditative experience.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:57 pm Good advice, but please get the lung/oral transmission for sang and/or lung-ta. This is a vital part of making these practices work. Maybe not 100% indispensable, but vital none the less. The more you practice, the more you will understand this. It is not simply a conceptual thing but a meditative experience.

Good luck & best wishes.
Yes! I more or less know, and have friends who know better how to empower lungtas 😋

Now i'm working on the woodblock hehe!!!
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”