When you first started... (lightweight question)

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Motova

Re: When you first started... (lightweight question)

Post by Motova »

heart wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 pm
Harimoo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:08 pm In the Sangha, choose carefully who you are listening to
or
don't listen to anybody except your guru (hardcore version)
I put my vote for the hardcore version. :smile:

/magnus
:good:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Pero

Post by Pero »

At first I couldn't think of any particular thing but then I thought of the below video by Mingyur Rinpoche which I recently watched. But it's not so much that I would like to have been told something like this (because I was) but that someone would have repeatedly smashed it into my head so that it might actually penetrate through my thick skull.

Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Aryjna wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:09 am
Lingpupa wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:31 pm When you first got started in the Dharma, what was the one thing you would most have liked to be told at the beginning that would have made your life, or even your progress in the Dharma, easier? Something trivial, like "Eat a good lunch at this centre, because supper is usually very small"? Or something deep and meaningful?
Drink boiled water.
Why?
For one,better digestion.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 am
amanitamusc wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:09 am

Drink boiled water.
Why?
It doesn't sound like a bad idea in general, but we'll see.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Aryjna wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 am

Why?
I'm sure no one here is dumb enough to drink actual boiling hot water but after the ALS ice-bucket challenge a few years ago, a 'boiling water challenge' happened and lots of people fell for it, with sometimes fatal consequences.

Warm water with a bit of ginger and black pepper is good for kindling the digestive fire [agni in Ayurveda). Best 20 mins before or after eating and not in excess quantities. .
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Drinks hotter than 70°C can cause cancer, some sientists found out. This is the point of temperature when the bubbling has stopped fully. But in a lower temperature than "boiling", hot water is very healthy. It serves as an internal shower and cleanses the digestive system.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Ayu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 am Drinks hotter than 70°C can cause cancer, some sientists found out. This is the point of temperature when the bubbling has stopped fully. But in a lower temperature than "boiling", hot water is very healthy. It serves as an internal shower and cleanses the digestive system.
It sounds strange that someone would be able to drink water that has just stopped bubbling in the first place.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

diamind wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:34 pm Also Dharma student are an authority on nothing except wrong view, always confirm with a qualified teacher or find a quote.
I wouldn't generalize on that. Life is too short and precious to live that way.

And Gurus are scarce animals (who is qualified anyways?). You cannot check everything with them.

Also, who is deciding what needs confirmation? This choice already is based on preferences, assumptions and concepts.
Aryjna wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pmDrink boiled water.
Funny: I can't find the quore but I read DJKR saying that he had to come to the West to see pople drinking boiled water. Where he Comes from, they either drink tea or cold water.
I thought exactly the same.

W
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Dolma

Post by Dolma »

Lingpupa wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:31 pm When you first got started in the Dharma, what was the one thing you would most have liked to be told at the beginning that would have made your life, or even your progress in the Dharma, easier? Something trivial, like "Eat a good lunch at this centre, because supper is usually very small"? Or something deep and meaningful?
that you "know" yourself when meeting the right teacher and trusting in your "knowledge"
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Aryjna wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 am
Ayu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 am Drinks hotter than 70°C can cause cancer, some sientists found out. This is the point of temperature when the bubbling has stopped fully. But in a lower temperature than "boiling", hot water is very healthy. It serves as an internal shower and cleanses the digestive system.
It sounds strange that someone would be able to drink water that has just stopped bubbling in the first place.
Yes. Maybe I was wrong with that discription. I'm not sure.
I believe, personally I prefer drinks of 60°C and colder...
diamind

Post by diamind »

weitsicht wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 am
diamind wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:34 pm Also Dharma student are an authority on nothing except wrong view, always confirm with a qualified teacher or find a quote.
I wouldn't generalize on that. Life is too short and precious to live that way.

And Gurus are scarce animals (who is qualified anyways?). You cannot check everything with them.

Also, who is deciding what needs confirmation? This choice already is based on preferences, assumptions and concepts.
Aryjna wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pmDrink boiled water.
Funny: I can't find the quore but I read DJKR saying that he had to come to the West to see pople drinking boiled water. Where he Comes from, they either drink tea or cold water.
I thought exactly the same.

W
Yes this life is short but the mindstream goes on forever. I wouldn't just let anyone play around with that.
Gurus are hardly scarce animals unless you love under a rock.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Vasana wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 am
I'm sure no one here is dumb enough to drink actual boiling hot water but after the ALS ice-bucket challenge a few years ago, a 'boiling water challenge' happened and lots of people fell for it, with sometimes fatal consequences.

Warm water with a bit of ginger and black pepper is good for kindling the digestive fire [agni in Ayurveda). Best 20 mins before or after eating and not in excess quantities. .
Wouldn't that be boiling water and not boiled water? :)
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Pero wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:37 pm
Vasana wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 am

Wouldn't that be boiling water and not boiled water? :)
I use a thermos and drink" boiled water " for a few months now and I don't plan on stopping.This was Malcolms advice to me btw.
Another Tibetan medicine doctor Traga Rinpoche drinks 'boiled water" all the time.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”