21 taras Namcho Mingyur Dorje

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cck123

21 taras Namcho Mingyur Dorje

Post by cck123 »

Hello friends,

i received empowerment on White Tara from Nedo Rinpoche (Karma Kagyu lama) from the lineage of Mingyur Dorje. He also gave the lung for "the" 21 Taras. We didn't receive a text, only the classical tara mantra and lung. There are plenty of texts to find and i like to recite the praises on a daily basis. After checking some of the texts i noticed that every lineage has a quite different text relating to quite different taras. No book for this lineage in particular.

Could you give me a link or copy of the praises according to this lineage (infos on the specific taras, text, pictures/thangka,...)? Also possible per PM if you think that such material should made public. Please no tibetan text without translation, since i can't read it.

Thank you very much!

Best wishes
Chris
Palzang Jangchub

Re: 21 taras Namcho Mingyur Dorje

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Thupten Shedrub Gyatso, who was a tulku in one of the Palyul monasteries, wrote the following commentary.
While they also uphold the Kama and the terma of Ratna Lingpa, Palyul Nyingma is mainly concerned with propagating the Namchö cycle. It's their central focus and I daresay the core of the lineage.

http://www.palyul.org/docs/tara_21_commentary.htm
Or
http://www.palyul.org/docs/tara_21_commentary.doc

Neydo Kagyu as a lineage is, for all intents and purposes, a fusion of Karma Kagyu and the Namchö that exemplifies Karma Chagme's unique blend of Mahamudra and Dzogchen (there are several translations with commentary on this Union). Both Palyul and Karma Kagyu consider the 1st Karma Chagme Rinpoche to have been a lineage holder. Subsequently he manifested two incarnations: one in Neydo Kagyu and one in Drikung Kagyu.

I haven't heard of a specifically Neydo commentary on the Praises of the 21 Taras, but I'd be interested to learn if there is one. Let me know if you find anything.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
heart

Post by heart »

I think the praises are always the same, as it comes from a Tantra.
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... -One_Taras

When it comes the iconographic differences between of the 21 Taras there seem to be 2 traditions (or 3).
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... -one_Taras

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I know of two versions of the 21 praises--one has four additional lines near the beginning, and is commonly found in Chokling practice--which includes most of the Tara practices you'll find in Kagyu and Nyingma centers. the other one omits the four lines, but is otherwise the same.

I don't know if there's another, but it's possible. There are also extensive praises to White Tara.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”