Fullfilment Practice or Offerings

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
CicadaCanto

Fullfilment Practice or Offerings

Post by CicadaCanto » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I feel the spontaneous desire to do some special practice or make special offerings when I complete some dharma work. Finishing ngondro, recitations of a deity, or whatever, such as completing shedra on a text. Now after successfully surviving a storm. I just do a ganachakra myself, or make offerings or some additional aspirations.

But I am confused about this.

Q: Is this acceptable? To offer ganacakra or make offerings alone? Or does one have to do this formally with one's sangha and lama? If have been told one does and the practice is not complete without it. If it is compulsory to do it as a community I am behind as I don't tell anyome when I complete a section of practice. Not even lama unless there is a context. Lama is so chill. It's all good. He actually seems like like hearing randomly that one has actually done some practice.

Disclaimer: I'm going to follow lama's advice regardless. I'm just curious about this in the context of the larger tradition.

pemachophel

Re: Fullfilment Practice or Offerings

Post by pemachophel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:58 pm

If you know how and have received the transmission, of course you can practice tshog alone. When in retreat doing 4 sessions a day, one typically does tshog every day. And for sure at the end of any practice that you are brining to a conclusion either based on signs, time, or number.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

CicadaCanto

Re: Fullfilment Practice or Offerings

Post by CicadaCanto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 am

@pemachophel:

that was useful and gave me (additional) confidence in doing what i've been doing. thanks.

CC