Altar accessories

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tingdzin

Altar accessories

Post by tingdzin »

Does anyone know where to get permanent wrathful offering tormas (Nyingmapa) for the shrine, other than those offered by Tibetan Treasures (too expensive for me)?
Fortyeightvows

Re: Altar accessories

Post by Fortyeightvows »

mail order? try zambala.com
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

tingdzin wrote:Does anyone know where to get permanent wrathful offering tormas (Nyingmapa) for the shrine, other than those offered by Tibetan Treasures (too expensive for me)?
Why not make them yourself? Air-dry clay is really cheap. I brought some and am currently trying to motivate myself to make the torma... :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

tingdzin wrote:Does anyone know where to get permanent wrathful offering tormas (Nyingmapa) for the shrine, other than those offered by Tibetan Treasures (too expensive for me)?
Potala gate store in Eugene, OR has some, check their website...I'm pretty sure I've seen both peaceful and wrathful there.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
philji

Post by philji »

Today i received an email from Saraswati Bhawan, Lama Dawa's centre in USA offering many items including many tormas for sale. Check website or email them.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Thanks all.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Air-dry clay or oven-dry clay (Sculpey). If possible, mix tor-dze into the clay. You can get colored clay or paint the torma with acrylic paint after they have dried. Depending on how many torma you plan on making, an afternoon's project. If they are Deity torma, don't forget to make small hole in the bottom before drying so that you can put in some men-drub and OM AH HUNG mantra. You can then fill any empty space with more tor-ze or rice.

Good luck and best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Terma

Post by Terma »

I have considered making a permanent offering torma (shaldze torma?) for my shrine out of clay as a few have suggested.

Alternatively is it alright to make an actual torma out of quick oats (this is what I usually use) with butter nyens, and then place the torma in the freezer overnight when I close the shrine and then place the torma back on the shrine in the morning?

Otherwise I will have to go to my local craft store and get some clay.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

philji wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 am Today i received an email from Saraswati Bhawan, Lama Dawa's centre in USA offering many items including many tormas for sale. Check website or email them.
Do you know the URL, by chance, good sir? I visited http://saraswatibhawan.org but the store on that site seems to only sell audio teachings.

Thanks!
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

The tormas offered at Saraswati Bhawan were only for a special fund-raising. This is not something regularly offered.

If you want to have clay tormas made specifically for you, try Minling Gyurme. He's an artist Lama from Mindroling who is accomplished in all the Tibetan religious arts, including torma-making. He lives in Santa Fe and can be found on Facebook. He charges by the hour. He made a whole set of Yuthok Nyingthig tormas for me that were very, very nice.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 pm The tormas offered at Saraswati Bhawan were only for a special fund-raising. This is not something regularly offered.

If you want to have clay tormas made specifically for you, try Minling Gyurme. He's an artist Lama from Mindroling who is accomplished in all the Tibetan religious arts, including torma-making. He lives in Santa Fe and can be found on Facebook. He charges by the hour. He made a whole set of Yuthok Nyingthig tormas for me that were very, very nice.
Awesome, thanks Pema!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”