Offering Gandhe

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
CicadaCanto

Offering Gandhe

Post by CicadaCanto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:44 am

I don't know how to attach pictures or I would show wjat I am talking about. I have seen people offer gandhe (perfumed) water in a shell.

I have been told that only shells known in the Indo-Tibetan world are appropriate. So I guess that is conchs?

I have obtained some very beautiful shells that I am sure are found in India or Tibet.

Q1: Can one use a shell other than a conch?

Q2: Can one offer other things in shells?

Bristollad

Re: Offering Gandhe

Post by Bristollad » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:56 pm

I haven't seen a conch used to offer gandhe - however, I have often seen it used to represent shabta - music offering - because the conch is used as an instrument. See here (as an example):

http://www.garudashop.com/DECORATED_CON ... fering.htm

CicadaCanto

Post by CicadaCanto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53 pm

This is the only picture I can find. It's from the tradition, not a photo.
Attachments
7775174069d9c5fcb843b8cac45d0fec.jpg
7775174069d9c5fcb843b8cac45d0fec.jpg (111.21 KiB) Viewed 371 times

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 pm

We sometimes offer "saffron water" in the fifth bowl of a normal set of offering bowls, to represent Gandhe.

Some monasteries have perfume bottles offered on the shrines, as well.
I've not seen a conch used to offer Gandhe, and as others have pointed out it is usually a symbol of Shabda, or music offering.
Conch is also used in "Vase Creation Stage" practices, and is filled with liquid, which is, I think, the source of that image. Those sorts of rituals are best learned from one's teacher, etc.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

CicadaCanto

Post by CicadaCanto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:05 pm

conebeckham wrote:We sometimes offer "saffron water" in the fifth bowl of a normal set of offering bowls, to represent Gandhe.

Some monasteries have perfume bottles offered on the shrines, as well.
I've not seen a conch used to offer Gandhe, and as others have pointed out it is usually a symbol of Shabda, or music offering.
Conch is also used in "Vase Creation Stage" practices, and is filled with liquid, which is, I think, the source of that image. Those sorts of rituals are best learned from one's teacher, etc.
@conebackham: I have seen conch to represent shabda, as a ritual instrument, and in consecration practices.

I am using a shell to hold perfumed water. Mostly because I like the shell. (see image)

If there are perfume bottles on shrines, I doubt this is a problem.

Thanks for your attention.

-CC
Attachments
shell.jpg
shell.jpg (30.18 KiB) Viewed 352 times

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 am

I've heard Nagas don't like conches, clams, and shells as instruments, vases & on shrines, et..
ཨོཾ་ཨཱཿཧཱུྃ་བོ་དྷི་ཙིཏྟ་མ་ཧཱ་སུ་ཁ་ཛྙཱ་ན་དྷཱརྟུ་ཨཱཿ

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 am

During jinsek fire pujas, it is common to offer the four waters from conch shells filled with water. In practice, one of my teachers used regular beach shells found in my country.

Although I haven't seen the gandhe offering in the standard eight offerings set being placed in a shell, it is usually the case that gandhe offered as the scent offering out of the five sensory offerings will be the goddess holding fragrance in a shell. There is also this use for the conch.

Terma

Post by Terma » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:08 am

Here is a different purpose for using a conch on one's shrine...

In the tradition of Chokgyur Lingpa, a conch containing water is often placed in the 7th offering bowl. The water from the conch is used for consecrating shrine items, usually by using a kusha grass stick to do so (which is also placed standing up in the same offering bowl). The conch also represents music at the same time.
jmlee369 wrote:There is also this use for the conch.
This is a precise explanation of what I am refering to here.