Advice need - pondering whether to receive Yamantaka empowerment

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
liuzg150181

Advice need - pondering whether to receive Yamantaka empowerment

Post by liuzg150181 »

Hi all, now that Jhado Rinpoche will be in Singapore for a few weeks,there will be a series of Rinjung Gyatsa Empowerments and 13deities Yamantaka empowerment.

As all of you know, Jhado Rinpoche is one of the most highly esteemed lamas in the Geluk lineage,and former Abbot of Namgyal Monastery,so it would a very rare opportunity to receive such important empowerment from a great master.Apart from the vows(refuge,bodhicitta and tantric),the commitment is Six Session Guru Yoga daily for the rest of my life.So far no sadhana commitment afaik.

The dilemma is,I am still looking ard at different schools to settle eventually(might take two years or slightly more),but my main interest now is Dzogchen and Sakya(more for Vajrayogini I guess,though Gelug has it too afaik). However,like in most places,Gelug is the largest gang in town,with several centres giving teaching in a systemic way,moreover its intellectual approach does have its appeal to me. There are also several Nyingma centres though I guess I prefer abit more sutra studies,though might be possible I go for Gelug-Nyingma approach.

Sakya is the oldest centre in my country(in fact same year as its independence),but there is only one,and the centre feels relatively inactive this year imo. I can only pray that Sakya Trizin(41st or 42nd) arrives to my country early next year.

Commitment to Six Session Guru Yoga is fine by me for now(btw may I know how long it would take?),as I don't have much commitment,though I afraid it might pile up more with future additional commitments esp with sadhana. Doesn't help I need to do overtime at times.Worse still if I decide not to go down Gelug path in the end.

Any advice? :shrug:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Advice need - pondering whether to receive Yamantaka empowerment

Post by Ayu »

Yamantaka is a Sakya practice as well, AFAIK.
It is a very strong yidam, especially good for transforming hate...

I would recommend you to try to find the best answer to your question within yourself. If I were in your shoes maybe I would create a list of pros and cons and then do a contemplating meditation about the matter.

The thought of "last chance & rare opportunity" has not much weight, I think, unless you are old age already.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:42 pm Hi all, now that Jhado Rinpoche will be in Singapore for a few weeks,there will be a series of Rinjung Gyatsa Empowerments and 13deities Yamantaka empowerment.
I would go anyway if only for the blessings. If you follow the Gelug Six Session yoga it is my understanding that this can be done in about 15-20 minutes or so twice a day. Basically the six sessions are condensed to two sessions with three quick sessions each. But HH Dalai Lama often gives instructions for non-Gelug students. Perhaps Jhado Rinpoche will do the same.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:42 pm Hi all, now that Jhado Rinpoche will be in Singapore for a few weeks,there will be a series of Rinjung Gyatsa Empowerments and 13deities Yamantaka empowerment.

As all of you know, Jhado Rinpoche is one of the most highly esteemed lamas in the Geluk lineage,and former Abbot of Namgyal Monastery,so it would a very rare opportunity to receive such important empowerment from a great master.Apart from the vows(refuge,bodhicitta and tantric),the commitment is Six Session Guru Yoga daily for the rest of my life.So far no sadhana commitment afaik.

The dilemma is,I am still looking ard at different schools to settle eventually(might take two years or slightly more),but my main interest now is Dzogchen and Sakya(more for Vajrayogini I guess,though Gelug has it too afaik). However,like in most places,Gelug is the largest gang in town,with several centres giving teaching in a systemic way,moreover its intellectual approach does have its appeal to me. There are also several Nyingma centres though I guess I prefer abit more sutra studies,though might be possible I go for Gelug-Nyingma approach.

Sakya is the oldest centre in my country(in fact same year as its independence),but there is only one,and the centre feels relatively inactive this year imo. I can only pray that Sakya Trizin(41st or 42nd) arrives to my country early next year.

Commitment to Six Session Guru Yoga is fine by me for now(btw may I know how long it would take?),as I don't have much commitment,though I afraid it might pile up more with future additional commitments esp with sadhana. Doesn't help I need to do overtime at times.Worse still if I decide not to go down Gelug path in the end.

Any advice? :shrug:
I walked out of a Yamantaka empowerment by the Dalai Lama in Dharamsala in the end of the 80's because of the commitments, I think there is no real shame in that (although it felt very awkward). You just have a good reality check.

/magnus
Last edited by heart on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

If you don't think you can keep the commitments, best not to get the empowerment imo...especially if you're still working out which path to take. If you havn't done much extensive sadhana already and worked out which schools and teachers you have an affinity for, a daily commitment could be a bit too much?

There will always be other opportunities to receive the Yidam if you want it enough. And if not, there will always be another Yidam capable of helping you realize the same accomplishments.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Ayu wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:18 pm Yamantaka is a Sakya practice as well, AFAIK.
It is a very strong yidam, especially good for transforming hate...
There is smth abt Yamantaka that enthrals me. Interestingly anger/hate is the strongest poison that afflicts me,though it has greatly subsiding after practicing budhha dharma.
I would recommend you to try to find the best answer to your question within yourself. If I were in your shoes maybe I would create a list of pros and cons and then do a contemplating meditation about the matter.
Good point.
The thought of "last chance & rare opportunity" has not much weight, I think, unless you are old age already.
I am 36 yr old,more like sandwiched in btw,not too young,not too old.
Though it is more abt the age of great masters who visit my country that is more pertinent,most of them are already in their 70s or 80s,so I'd like to take the opportunity as much as possible to learn from them.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

kirtu wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:24 pm
I would go anyway if only for the blessings. If you follow the Gelug Six Session yoga it is my understanding that this can be done in about 15-20 minutes or so twice a day. Basically the six sessions are condensed to two sessions with three quick sessions each. But HH Dalai Lama often gives instructions for non-Gelug students. Perhaps Jhado Rinpoche will do the same.

Kirt
Gelug Six Session Guru Yoga is a great practice itself afaik. Could be easily done if i apply abit of discipline and time management,esp done during commute time.
Though do you mean time needed is 15 or 20mins x 2 per day,or 15-20 mins in total a day(7 or 8 to 10 mins per morning and evening)?
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

heart wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:57 pm
I walked out of a Yamantaka empowerment by the Dalai Lama in Dharamsala in the end of the 80's because of the commitments, I think there is no real shame in that (although it felt very awkward). You just have a good reality check.

/magnus
Think I read your post abt it while researching in this forum,though it is abt practice commitment for Yamantaka afaik(likely along with Six Session Guru Yoga). Though you were in similar predicament as you were more interested in other schools
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Vasana wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 pm If you don't think you can keep the commitments, best not to get the empowerment imo...especially if you're still working out which path to take. If you havn't done much extensive sadhana already and worked out which schools and teachers you have an affinity for, a daily commitment could be a bit too much?

There will always be other opportunities to receive the Yidam if you want it enough. And if not, there will always be another Yidam capable of helping you realize the same accomplishments.
Keeping commitment from now to the very end is doable for me,and I dont mean i will give up my commitment should I opt for other school. Just that it narrows down as to what other commitments i could take in future given the time constraint,esp for non-Gelug commitments.
Apart form which Yidam to accomplish the same,the other issue is accessibility of teaching,since it can be quite frustrating to have empowerment and not much explanation of the practice. At least for Gelug,there are centre which gives such teachings every now and then.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

liuzg150181 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 am
Vasana wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 pm If you don't think you can keep the commitments, best not to get the empowerment imo...especially if you're still working out which path to take. If you havn't done much extensive sadhana already and worked out which schools and teachers you have an affinity for, a daily commitment could be a bit too much?

Keeping commitment from now to the very end is doable for me,and I dont mean i will give up my commitment should I opt for other school. Just that it narrows down as to what other commitments i could take in future given the time constraint,esp for non-Gelug commitments.
Apart form which Yidam to accomplish the same,the other issue is accessibility of teaching,since it can be quite frustrating to have empowerment and not much explanation of the practice. At least for Gelug,there are centre which gives such teachings every now and then.
Six session guru yoga in its shortest form is merely a few lines long, like 8 or 12.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:41 am
Six session guru yoga in its shortest form is merely a few lines long, like 8 or 12.
Ok,now you are tempting or nudging me towards receiving the empowerment. :tongue:
heart

Post by heart »

liuzg150181 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 am
heart wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:57 pm

/magnus
Think I read your post abt it while researching in this forum,though it is abt practice commitment for Yamantaka afaik(likely along with Six Session Guru Yoga). Though you were in similar predicament as you were more interested in other schools
Yes, I was doing the Karma Kagyu Ngondro at the time and the commitment was doing the Yamanataka sadhana every day for the rest of your life. I didn't even know if there was a translated sadhana.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
pael

Post by pael »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:41 am
liuzg150181 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 am

Where this version is?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

In my own experience it is not so very pertinent if the practice needs 20 minutes or 30 seconds. The motivation why to do it is the fuel or obstacle, I think.
Doesn't Guru Yoga mean to connect oneself with this certain lineage? Shouldn't one be convinced to be part of this lineage before taking any such commitments?
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

pael wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:41 am Six session guru yoga in its shortest form is merely a few lines long, like 8 or 12.
Where this version is?
FPMT have this version in the six session guru yoga book, it's the "Abbreviated Six-Session Guru Yoga" composed by Ngulchu Jeydrung.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 am Doesn't Guru Yoga mean to connect oneself with this certain lineage? Shouldn't one be convinced to be part of this lineage before taking any such commitments?
The lineage is the line of masters of the deity which comes from India, not this or that Tibetan institution.

Guru Yoga means integrating with the state of knowledge of the teacher, it is not a political affiliation.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:42 pm
Ayu wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 am Doesn't Guru Yoga mean to connect oneself with this certain lineage? Shouldn't one be convinced to be part of this lineage before taking any such commitments?
The lineage is the line of masters of the deity which comes from India, not this or that Tibetan institution.

Guru Yoga means integrating with the state of knowledge of the teacher, it is not a political affiliation.
Good to know. So, one can practice the six session Guru Yoga visualising the own root guru disregarding the lineage.
This is not self-evident. I mean: it has to be explained.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Good to know. So, one can practice the six session Guru Yoga visualising the own root guru disregarding the lineage.
This is not self-evident. I mean: it has to be explained.

In Sakya and Gelug, any master from whom one receives a major empowerment is one of your root gurus.

When it comes to guru yoga, one unifies all gurus into one. Thus, one does not need to practice a separate guru yoga for each lineage one has received. One only needs to practice a single guru yoga, and this covers all.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

The Six Session Guru Yoga has an abbreviated version with just a few lines, like 4 or 5. This can be done in situations where doing the complete would be inconvenient!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Many, many Buddhists I meet do not know this. For them is lineage the school/institution.
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”