The DJKR Topic

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
smcj

Re: The DJKR Topic

Post by smcj » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 am

Virgo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:51 pm
Which Guru Yoga are you talking about?
I’ve been quoting from Ringu Tulku’s book
“THE NGONDRO: Foundation Practices of Mahamudra”. It’s a teaching on a Karma Kagyu NgonDro. On another thread I quoted RT making a distinction between the guru/student relationship and the practice of Guru Yoga from the same book, hence my premise statement.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 am

Norwegian wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 pm
smcj,

If you want to understand guru yoga, then you should receive teachings on this from a qualified teacher. Merely reading books will not do it I'm afraid.
I live in a Karma Kagyu monastery. I’ve specifically asked about GY from the resident retreat master for the 3 year retreats. There are also 18 Westerners in residence that have complete one or more 3 year retreats. I've have casual conversations with most of them about GY. So far nobody has said I'm at all off base.

Is there something specific you think I should ask about?

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 am

smcj wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 am
Norwegian wrote:
smcj,

If you want to understand guru yoga, then you should receive teachings on this from a qualified teacher. Merely reading books will not do it I'm afraid.
I live in a Karma Kagyu monastery. I’ve specifically asked about GY from the resident retreat master for the 3 year retreats.

I am only going by your own statements of you exclusively practicing lower yana only, which of course then naturally excludes guru yoga. And as such, I think for you yourself, it would probably be better to not talk so much about something you don't practice, as there's the likelihood of it creating very subtle and not-so subtle obscurations for yourself which can be a problem for you in both this life and future lives.

Also: Asking "about" something is vastly different from actually receiving the intimate instructions, and putting them into use, i.e., practicing them, and then working with that (which is much more useful).

So, there really isn't anything I have to suggest that you should "ask about". Satisfying ones intellectual curiosity is also not what guru yoga is about.

At one point or another you will have to make up your mind whether you should take the plunge into Secret Mantra Vajrayana or not. If you do, then you should work with that. If you don't, then that is also fine. But if you don't, then perhaps continually talking about so many topics within Secret Mantra Vajrayana (and Dzogchen) is not the greatest idea.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 am

smcj wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 am
Norwegian wrote:
smcj,

I live in a Karma Kagyu monastery. I’ve specifically asked about GY from the resident retreat master for the 3 year retreats. There are also 18 Westerners in residence that have complete one or more 3 year retreats. I've have casual conversations with most of them about GY. So far nobody has said I'm at all off base.

A friendly observation. You spend a lot of time here debating opinions with people. Is that helping you more than using that time for studying and practicing would, since you actually live in in a monastery? I only started reading this forum because I have to sit through a lot of conference calls: I doubt that you have the same problem.

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 am

A friendly observation. You spend a lot of time here debating opinions with people. Is that helping you more than using that time for studying and practicing would, since you actually live in in a monastery? I only started reading this forum because I have to sit through a lot of conference calls: I doubt that you have the same problem.
That's an accurate observation and assessment, no doubt about it.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:12 am

I can't believe that worked.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Motova

Post by Motova » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:27 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:12 am
I can't believe that worked.
A lesson of impermanence. :stirthepot:
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

anjali
Global Moderator

Post by anjali » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 am

After 35 pages of comments, this seems like a good point to lock the topic. Everyone has had ample opportunity to voice their views multiple times over. If someone has something truly new and relevant to the topic, the lock can be reconsidered.

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”