Vajrasattva More Effective?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Vajrasattva More Effective?

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:12 am

Tenma wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:57 pm
Tenma wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 pm
Isn't Kubera a worldly Hindu deity?
No.
Wait, then who is Kubera? Dzambhala or who? I heard the name in Hindu yakshas, but in Buddhism?
It is actually a Czech surname. Just a Funfact.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:59 am

Anonymous X wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:09 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 am
Tenma wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:49 am

The rising is negative karma?

Yes, in the Mahayana (as opposed to Hinayana where view of karmic fruit is fixed) you can actually lessen the effects of negative karma through practice, so one explanation I've heard is that negative karma is ripening, but possibly none of what is ripening is as bad as what could've been.
Can you give any sutra, where this is stated by the Buddha as you have written it?
You can spend some time on Alexander Berzin's site and similar places and he will explain any traditional references, it is not controversial knowledge. It also does not need to come exclusively from a sutra quote, because things other than sutra make up Buddhist tenet systems.

Just saw Vasana's post too, plenty there.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 am

Anonymous X wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:58 am
Is this sutra part of the Pali Canon as well, and also accepted by Theravada? I am interested in sutra where there is no dispute between sects.
There is a sutta in the Pali canon that approaches this very subject, the Salt Crystal Sutta.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Tenma wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:57 pm
Tenma wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 pm
Isn't Kubera a worldly Hindu deity?
No.
Wait, then who is Kubera? Dzambhala or who? I heard the name in Hindu yakshas, but in Buddhism?
Kubera is sometimes another name for Vaisravana, one of the Four Heavenly Kings, at other times a yaksa related to Vaisravana in some way. In one instance that I know of, Kubera is used as a title of Jambala. For more details, check out this Himalayan Art page.

Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 pm

jmlee369 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 am
Anonymous X wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:58 am
Is this sutra part of the Pali Canon as well, and also accepted by Theravada? I am interested in sutra where there is no dispute between sects.
There is a sutta in the Pali canon that approaches this very subject, the Salt Crystal Sutta.
thanks for the link, but this sutta talks about acts in the here & now, not about ripening kamma from past lives. I haven't run across a sutta that says you can change what the Hindus call prarabdha karma from ripening. Getting hit by a car would be an example of ripening karma.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:54 pm

And just to confuse matters further: Vaisravana is the name of the brother of Ravana, the demon king of Lanka in the Ramayana.

Ravana is an interesting figure because according to followers of Rama he is nasty demon, but according to Sri Lankans he was a great tantric adept and his manuals on tantric healing are still widely available.

So when confronted with the question "Who is Kubera?", it seems the correct answer is: "Depends on who you ask."
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”