BODHICHARYAVATARA (3 OF ?)

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
CicadaCanto

BODHICHARYAVATARA (3 OF ?)

Post by CicadaCanto » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:42 pm

I was talking with a dharma brother about some Patrul Rinpoche stories. Why is irrelevant. It came up that the study of the Bodhicharyavatara had waned somewhat, and that it was Patrul Rinpoche who revived the passion of the study and practice of that text.

BCA-Q7. Why did it wane?

BCA-Q8. Was it related to the intellectual and political influences that lead to the Rime movement?

CicadaCanto

Re: BODHICHARYAVATARA (3 OF ?)

Post by CicadaCanto » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:13 pm

thoughts anyone?

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:33 pm

I never heard that it waned.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:39 pm

CicadaCanto wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:42 pm
I was talking with a dharma brother about some Patrul Rinpoche stories. Why is irrelevant. It came up that the study of the Bodhicharyavatara had waned somewhat, and that it was Patrul Rinpoche who revived the passion of the study and practice of that text.

BCA-Q7. Why did it wane?

BCA-Q8. Was it related to the intellectual and political influences that lead to the Rime movement?
Don't know why. Guess it was taken for granted and needed a charismatic champion. Here's what the Padmakara Translation Group says about it in their translation of Kunzang Pelden's commentary. Sounds like it probably at least helped in the rime movement. Wikipedia does not link him directly to rime, but says Patrul Rinpoche was a Tibetan Lama noted for non-sectarianism.
The Padmakara Group wrote:“Although the explanation lineage of the Bodhicharyavatara reaching back to Ngok Loden Sherab and beyond was never severed in Tibet, by the nineteenth century, the knowledge and study of Shantideva’s text had almost fallen into abeyance, being confined to the scholarly environment of a small number of monastic colleges. It seems that even copies of the text had become a rare commodity. This was a situation that Patrul Rinpoche was to change almost single-handedly. He devoted his life to the practice and propagation of the Bodhicharyavatara. Traveling all over the east of Tibet, he is said to have expounded it more than one hundred times, sometimes in detailed courses lasting many months. It was he, more than anyone else, who restored Shantideva’s teaching to the important position that it now occupies in the sutra teachings of all schools of Tibetan Buddhism.”

Padmakara Translation Group, Translator’s Introduction to The Nectar of Manjushri’s Speech, p.xiv.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

passel

Post by passel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:54 pm

Texts and practices are always waxing and waning. Samsara remember
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

Josef

Post by Josef » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 pm

Patrul was also an emanation of Shantideva
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Terma

Post by Terma » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:10 pm

I don't believe that it is waning, but rather not taught extensively as it once was. It still appears in the curriculum of the shedra's of most main lineages I believe.

Here in the West, teachers frequently quote Shantideva, and Bodhicaryavatara is often reccomended studying alone or as a group study.

In old Tibet, when the entire discourse is given it would often take months and most teachings these are much shorter, often only a weekend or maybe a week to ten days during a retreat situation.

I think times have changed and the way teachings are given has also changed but I feel that this text is still viewed as one of the more important Mahayana texts.

Only my perspective though.

passel

Post by passel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:22 pm

Re-read the Padmakara quote above- Patrul initiated an enthusiastic waxing of Bodhicaryavatara study, and it continues to wax- the reason we’ve even heard of it at all. After the Dhammapada, probably the most popular canonical buddhadharma text in the world and the beneficiary of modern text dissemination. Definitely not waning at the moment. Hundreds of thousands of copies in print at least, likely millions. Unprecedented.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”