Harming spirits

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
KristenM

Re: Harming spirits

Post by KristenM »

Although nagas might be angry about the destruction of their habitat, why would they take it out on other poor, ignorant fellow victims, such as the people living in the area who are there because of economic necessity?

I always gravitate towards these areas, and I try to feel compassion for the people there and want to make things better. Why would nagas want to further complicate things for people and animals who need help?

Do Nagas have Buddhanature that is very obscured?
Josef

Post by Josef »

TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm Although nagas might be angry about the destruction of their habitat, why would they take it out on other poor, ignorant fellow victims, such as the people living in the area who are there because of economic necessity?

I always gravitate towards these areas, and I try to feel compassion for the people there and want to make things better. Why would nagas want to further complicate things for people and animals who need help?

Nagas are sentient beings.
They dont always have the clarity to act in ways that benefit others, just like other sentient beings.
As sentient beings their buddhanature is obscured, just like ours.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:15 pm
Tenma wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:44 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:52 pm

IN ADDITION:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=23687

If you want the Sangchöd text, then i can give you that, then pm me.

Mutsuk marro
KY.
I think I might need the text through PM. However, will frankincense work out with nagas or not?
Yes, if you have nothing else everything done with a + motivation can serve, but it is not so strong.
You need to fix it anyway with mind and Mind and as a medium we use the juniper leaves.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiti ... s/juniper/

You need in Bön and elswhere, also some Mantras on the level of what you practice like Causal Way, Tantra , Dzogchen.
Also prayer flags can be of great help. Smoke and Prayer flags are like dal soup and chapati.

So to do it complete, that is the best way and most powerful because we have powerful guests like the Klu etc.

KY.
Don't know any naga mantras. Only a few Hindu ones to the 9 lords and a short Buddhist mantra to the naga kings.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Josef wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:46 pm
TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm Although nagas might be angry about the destruction of their habitat, why would they take it out on other poor, ignorant fellow victims, such as the people living in the area who are there because of economic necessity?

Nagas are sentient beings.
They dont always have the clarity to act in ways that benefit others, just like other sentient beings.
As sentient beings their buddhanature is obscured, just like ours.
I like your answer. I guess I was putting Nagas on a pedestal.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Do you have lung for a Garuda practice? He subdues nagas.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Nagas pass their lives in misery being tormented by garudas and rains of burning sand. In addition they are stupid, aggressive, and poisonous.
- Paltrul
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Losal Samten wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:16 am

Nagas pass their lives in misery being tormented by garudas and rains of burning sand. In addition they are stupid, aggressive, and poisonous.
- Paltrul
I wouldn't call them stupid, after all, they did give Nagarjuna the Heart Sutra and other teachings while having many other doctrines, teachings, knowledge, and wisdom.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Lhasa wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:48 am Do you have lung for a Garuda practice? He subdues nagas.
I don't like garudas. For some weird reason, I just detest birds, wind, garudas, and so on, yet feel better near water. So I think I might stick best with nagas. Also, if you practice a garuda, don't the nagas keep away from you permanently in terror and hatred? Garudas are rather "dumber" than nagas while also trying to steal Naga treasures and trying to kill the nagas. The nagas are more wise with plenty of knowledge and wisdom with vast treasures. Are they not?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Tenma wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:30 am
Lhasa wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:48 am Do you have lung for a Garuda practice? He subdues nagas.
I don't like garudas. For some weird reason, I just detest birds, wind, garudas, and so on, yet feel better near water. So I think I might stick best with nagas. Also, if you practice a garuda, don't the nagas keep away from you permanently in terror and hatred? Garudas are rather "dumber" than nagas while also trying to steal Naga treasures and trying to kill the nagas. The nagas are more wise with plenty of knowledge and wisdom with vast treasures. Are they not?
In Bon, Garuda is a Yidam. Nagas are dangerous unless you are highly trained. You might have good karmic links to nagas, or you may not. I feel good around water too, but I would never try to contact nagas directly.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

- Paltrul
The kind of nāga being referred to here are nāgas of the shudra caste.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:41 am
- Paltrul
The kind of nāga being referred to here are nāgas of the shudra caste.
Nagas have castes? So it's just Indian nagas with their own caste system and the rest of the foreign nagas are shudras? So the 9 lords aren't supreme?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Lhasa wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:14 am
In Bon, Garuda is a Yidam. Nagas are dangerous unless you are highly trained. You might have good karmic links to nagas, or you may not. I feel good around water too, but I would never try to contact nagas directly.
Does feeling good to chanting a Hindu mantra to the 9 lords count?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Garudas are rather "dumber" than nagas ........

Says who?!?
Lost In Transmission
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

lelopa wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 am

Says who?!?
Didn't the nagas provide the Heart Sutra and other teachings? The garudas didn't have any! All they did was just steal from the nagas!
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

- Paltrul
ah, so they are beings of the lower realms it sounds like. reminds me of that character from Lord of the Rings, Gollum.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Tenma wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:19 am

Says who?!?
Didn't the nagas provide the Heart Sutra and other teachings? The garudas didn't have any! All they did was just steal from the nagas!

Then you're much brighter than the guy who said:

"Nagas pass their lives in misery being tormented by garudas and rains of burning sand. In addition they are stupid, aggressive, and poisonous."
- Paltrul

-even if he didn't say anything about the IQ of Garudas.

I could give Nagarjuna a book about Quantum Physics - but do I automatically understand the containment of it?!?
btw:
if someone in a buddhist Forum says "Garuda-Practice" they may refer to the Wisdom-Garuda
Lost In Transmission
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

lelopa wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:06 am

Says who?!?

Then you're much brighter than the guy who said:

"Nagas pass their lives in misery being tormented by garudas and rains of burning sand. In addition they are stupid, aggressive, and poisonous."
- Paltrul

-even if he didn't say anything about the IQ of Garudas.

I could give Nagarjuna a book about Quantum Physics - but do I automatically understand the containment of it?!?
btw:
if someone in a buddhist Forum says "Garuda-Practice" they may refer to the Wisdom-Garuda
Good point.
Not too sure on who Paltrul is, but I guess both garudas and nagas are of the stupidity part as all beings are.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Says who?!?
Nagas are very sensitive, and it would be better not to interact with them until you receive transmissions and instructions on a specific practice. Regarding the earlier posts, with all due respect to Bon, I think it is better not to mix practices of different systems like that at this point.

As for the garudas, highly realised garuda kings and naga kings are both mentioned in the Avatamsaka Sutra as speaking the dharma through the inspiration of the Buddha, and different forms of Garuda act as enlightened yidams, so it is better not to generalise about entire classes of non-humans in that way.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Here some more informations about the Klu.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=26956

KY.
The best meditation is no meditation
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Tenma wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:15 am Not too sure on who Paltrul is...
Patrul Rinpoche.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”