Drubjor Nov. 9'th EST

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Virgo

Drubjor Nov. 9'th EST

Post by Virgo »

Tommorow is Drubjor New York standard time from Sunrise until 2AM.

Virgo
jkarlins

Re: Nov the 9'th

Post by jkarlins »

I thought Friday was the big day
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

jkarlins wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:45 pm I thought Friday was the big day
Yes, in Tibet. That is why I specified the time zone.

Kevin
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Oh that's why you specified the time zone

because various Western dharma sources say Friday I think

Maybe I'll just consider both days special to be safe
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

jkarlins wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:50 pm

because various Western dharma sources say Friday I think
Like I said, it is Drujor Friday until 2:55 pm in Tibet, but not in the US or Europe.

Kevin
jkarlins

Re: Drubjor Nov. 9'th EST

Post by jkarlins »

hmm you may be right
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

If this is the case.Wouldn't this make all Tibetan English calendars that have it listed for Friday off a day for everything else listed in it?
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

I suppose it is Lhabab Duchen as in the rigpa calendar from another thread https://calendar.google.com/calendar/em ... google.com

Are there any specific practices that are considered ideal?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

amanitamusc wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:48 pm If this is the case.Wouldn't this make all Tibetan English calendars that have it listed for Friday off a day for everything else listed in it?
There are two fundamental problems with Tibetan-English calanders. The first is that they are generally made for Lhasa time, or sometimes for some other time zone, and unless that time zone is yours it throws off the minor and major combinations (some list both some only list the minor, ie. the element combination). So while those combinations might be right for that time in Lhasa, etc., it does not apply to where you are in space and time. Therefore it is of now use to you. The book says it is a fire-wood day, but it is actually fire-water, etc.

Secondly, even if the time zone is right, it only lists the combination generally for what it is at sunrise. The moon can change mansions at any time of day or night. So it may be a fire-wood day at sunrise at that location but then a fire-earth day at 8:00am, etc.

These are the kinds of problems you have with calanders.

For example, the only time drubjor occurs on a Friday is during the 26'th lunar mansion. This Friday is the 8'th lunar mansion. The combination that is creating this conjunction is day of the week, ie. Thursday running while the 7'th lunar mansion also occurs. It creates the elemental combination of fire-wood, the major combination of dung, i.e spear, which is negative, and the conjunction of drubjor. Generally Drubjor is thought to be more important than a disharmonious minor or major combination (such as dung tomorrow).

If your calander lists the mewa, the animal day and it's element, you can generally trust those, in my experience.

But, if people feel confident with their calanders, they shoudl go ahead and use them.

Kevin
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Thanks for bringing this up and clarifying. I have wondered about this almost since I started relying on Tibetan calendars. They're a big part of my practice, but I've wondered about their accuracy, and what you've said confirms this.

Suggestions? Can I push things up a day or so to correct, as you've done? Is it possible for a lay person without extensive knowledge of astrology to square their calendar with East Coast or other American time zones?

Jake
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hi Jake, I can supply you some informations tomorrow.

Kevin
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Ok cool thanks
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

There is a book entitled Key for Consulting the Tibetan Calander by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu. It contains explanations of all the weekdays, animal days, and constellations (mansions of the moon), which are appropriate for which activity, as well the listing which shows which major and minor combinations, and which conjunctions occur on which days, as well as explanations for all. This book is all you need for this kind of thing.

Along with that, you can use free software in order to determine the gyu-kar (lunar mansion) for any time and place.

The lunar mansions are counted as 0-26 in Tibetan, including a 21a and a 21b, not as 1-27 or 28 as in Jyotish lists.

Most software uses Lahiri ayanamsha.

Then you are off the races. Any questions feel free to private message me. I am happy to help.

Virgo
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Will do! This is great, I can get a solid calendar together and have it match my location.

Jake
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

jkarlins wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:29 pm Will do! This is great, I can get a solid calendar together and have it match my location.

Jake
Excellent Jake.

Kevin

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”