Who is this?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lhasa

Who is this?

Post by Lhasa »

ImageThis is a consecrated statue of a monk in long-life robes. Inside is a scripture with the 'old man' chinese longevity figure on it, a red 4 armed Avalokiteshvara prayer flag with two pieces of Amethyst. The hat has symbols on four sides. I hope they came out ok. Any ideas? It came from the estate of a Sakya lama. For some reason I can't post another picture. He has a scripture resting in his left hand and the right hand is on his knee.
DSCN6931.JPG
DSCN6931.JPG (488.69 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Kaung

Re: Who is this?

Post by Kaung »

Well the first person that comes into my mind is Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal. I may be wrong though.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Kaung wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:38 am Well the first person that comes into my mind is Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal. I may be wrong though.
Thanks
I did an image search and found other statues very close to this.
Why the longevity robes, why is he associated with that?
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

O my gosh!! From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhabdrung_Rinpoche

"Another line of claimants to be mind incarnations of Ngawang Namgyal existed in Tibet, and is now represented by Namkhai Norbu, who resides in Italy."
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

cool!
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

Lhasa wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 am ImageThis is a consecrated statue of a monk in long-life robes. Inside is a scripture with the 'old man' chinese longevity figure on it, a red 4 armed Avalokiteshvara prayer flag with two pieces of Amethyst. The hat has symbols on four sides. I hope they came out ok. Any ideas? It came from the estate of a Sakya lama. For some reason I can't post another picture. He has a scripture resting in his left hand and the right hand is on his knee.
DSCN6931.JPG
I think it looks very much like Shabdrung Rinpoche, the head of drukpa in Bhutan.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”