Dakini Script?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
yeshegyaltsen

Re: Dakini Script?

Post by yeshegyaltsen »

mutsuk wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:05 pm I think it is interesting to know that there are published syllabary texts about Khandro scripts, with their various "graphic families" or styles, as well as some transcriptions which make things intelligible. Thus, for instance, some of Tertön Khopung Lodrö Thokme's symbolic scripts are actually not in any dakini language but in tibetan, written in dakini script. Using that method and a proper set of equivalences, I have seen JLA transcribed some of Düdjom Lingpa's dakini scripts pretty easily. The results are sometimes interesting (in particular if the script is long (which is quite rare)) since the "transcription" does not necessarily gives the title (as one might expect) but some kind of scanty notes about the relevant subject. The problem with many current editions of gter-mas is that most scribes have no clue about this and you really need to have access to original mss or to a particularly good copy, kind of authenticated by the terton himself. The worst situation is reached when you get a new edition of the Rinchen Terdzo which skips all dakini scripts... that takes the cake for THE collection of treasure texts....
This is very interesting, however, the new edition of the Rinchen Terdzo does actually have dakini scripts. You just have to look at the actual pechas, not the unicode versions of the files online.
Malcolm

Re: Dakini Script?

Post by Malcolm »

mutsuk wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:05 pm Using that method and a proper set of equivalences, I have seen JLA transcribed some of Düdjom Lingpa's dakini scripts pretty easily.
The same applies to the Dakini script in Rinchen Phuntsog's Yangzab. There is a key, and one finds mostly names of predicted people.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”