Types of emanations

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DannyDevitoFan

Types of emanations

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

Can anyone clarify what the differences between mind, body, speech, quality and activity emanations are?
Josef

Re: Types of emanations

Post by Josef »

It's a way to make sure several wealthy patrons or prominent families get a son recognized as a tulku.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I've never seen or heard an explanation of any difference between them. The only thing I know is that typically the mind emanation is the most important. For example, Dudjom Lingpa had five emanations of body, speech, mind, qualities, and activity. Dudjom Rinpoche was the mind emanation of Dudjom Lingpa and I think was kind of the most important emanation of Dudjom Lingpa in a sense.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 pm I've never seen or heard an explanation of any difference between them. The only thing I know is that typically the mind emanation is the most important. For example, Dudjom Lingpa had five emanations of body, speech, mind, qualities, and activity. Dudjom Rinpoche was the mind emanation of Dudjom Lingpa and I think was kind of the most important emanation of Dudjom Lingpa in a sense.
It also depends on the qualities of each individual recognition.
For example, Patrul was a speech emanation of Jigme Lingpa and even though other emanations were extraordinary as well it would be hard to argue that one was more important than the other.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Josef wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:43 pm It's a way to make sure several wealthy patrons or prominent families get a son recognized as a tulku.

:applause:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Josef wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:09 am
Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 pm I've never seen or heard an explanation of any difference between them. The only thing I know is that typically the mind emanation is the most important. For example, Dudjom Lingpa had five emanations of body, speech, mind, qualities, and activity. Dudjom Rinpoche was the mind emanation of Dudjom Lingpa and I think was kind of the most important emanation of Dudjom Lingpa in a sense.
It also depends on the qualities of each individual recognition.
For example, Patrul was a speech emanation of Jigme Lingpa and even though other emanations were extraordinary as well it would be hard to argue that one was more important than the other.
I had thought I heard that somewhere, but I might have just pulled that out of my ass. Well, it wasn't any of my main teachers where I remember hearing it from anyway. So yea, perhaps I am just wrong about that.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 am
Josef wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:43 pm It's a way to make sure several wealthy patrons or prominent families get a son recognized as a tulku.
Sigh, yes. Makes sense. I wish I could stop being cynical.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Josef

Post by Josef »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 am
Simon E. wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 am
Sigh, yes. Makes sense. I wish I could stop being cynical.
I don’t think it’s cynical really.
We should be able to at the very least hold our own community accountable for hypocrisy and other shortcomings. I think it’s obvious that we’ve allowed nepotism to run wild within Tibetan Buddhist institutions. Calling it out isn’t cynical, it’s an honest assessment of how the 8 worldly concerns have infiltrated our communities.
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

mind emanation: thugs kyi sprul-sku
speech emanation: gsung gi sprul-sku
body emanation: sku yi sprul-sku
qualities emanation: yon tan sprul-sku
activities emanation: phrin las sprul-sku
Usually a reincarnation has to be someone’s taking rebirth as a human being after previously passing away. Ordinary sentient beings generally cannot manifest an emanation before death (ma-dhey tulku), but superior Bodhisattvas, who can manifest themselves in hundreds or thousands of bodies simultaneously, can manifest an emanation before death. Within the Tibetan system of recognizing Tulkus there are emanations who belong to the same mind-stream as the predecessor, emanations who are connected to others through the power of karma and prayers, and emanations who come as a result of blessings and appointment.
https://www.dalailama.com/messages/reti ... ncarnation
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Josef wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:02 am ... nepotism ...
Blink, blink. That’s ... a pretty hopeless word. Pretty difficult for practitioners doing their best in this 21st century not to throw the baby out w the bath water after “nepotism” ...
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

Josef

Post by Josef »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 am
Josef wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:02 am ... nepotism ...
Blink, blink. That’s ... a pretty hopeless word. Pretty difficult for practitioners doing their best in this 21st century not to throw the baby out w the bath water after “nepotism” ...
It’s fitting though.
I recognize that difficulty.
We’re trying to do something very difficult.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

This discussion reminds me of a passage from "The Guru Drinks Bourbon?":
NEPOTISM

I once asked David Noodle what he thought about the book Blazing Splendor, and he said, “Oh, that story of Tibetan nepotism?” He may have been joking, but it’s true: there is a lot of nepotism in Tibetan Buddhism.

Parents in many cultures arrange marriages for their children, making deals to pair their children off with the sons and daughters of wealthy families, and it’s like that now with the tulkus. The monasteries shamelessly try to find a boy who has been born into a rich, influential family. Tulkus are then groomed to make money and rule the administration. Nepotism comes into play as soon as the tulkus have been installed on the throne. If the tulkus don’t engage in the practice personally, their relatives will. Favoritism will hijack Buddhism in general and the tantric path specifically, and there will be breakage of samaya. The lama’s cousins, brothers, sisters, parents—all these people have so much say. They start steering the tulku and therefore the monastery and the lineage.

Of course, a truly devoted student would have devotion even toward the guru’s pet dog, so of course a family member would be treated well. But that is only after the student has analyzed and accepted the guru. By all means, if he’s a good teacher, follow him; just be aware that some lamas tend to have that weakness of nepotism. How much nepotism can you handle? All this has nothing to do with your spiritual path, which is supposed to take you to enlightenment. But if you are not careful, it can get entangled. So ideally, as Longchenpa said, a lama who seems to isolate himself from his relatives is quite good.

That said, sometimes you are better off acting like a bee sucking nectar from a flower: just receive the teaching and stay away from the politics.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Anyone who denies that there is nepotism in Tibetan Buddhism is either a newbie or naif.

As Shakyamuni said in a different context..'the unreal exists because the real exists.'

This should make us more discriminating. It should not make us despairing.

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Of course.

As everywhere.

The question is the extent.

Harimoo

Post by Harimoo »

By their money, some "fake" tulku helped more the dharma than true tertöns. Do you know the price the maintenance costs of a monastery ?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Which begs the question whether monasteries have a purpose still.

Motova

Post by Motova »

Harimoo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm By their money, some "fake" tulku helped more the dharma than true tertöns. Do you know the price the maintenance costs of a monastery ?
Monasteries don't maintain Dharma transmission, realized beings do.

Inauthentic practitioners destroy Dharma transmission with their dirty money.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Motova wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:40 pm
Harimoo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm By their money, some "fake" tulku helped more the dharma than true tertöns. Do you know the price the maintenance costs of a monastery ?

I prefer a more nuanced view, personally.
Not sure how many of you have spent time in Monasteries in Tibetan cultural areas (or anywhere else, for that matter), but monasteries perform useful functions, on both a mundane level, and in terms of maintaining Dharma transmission.

With regard to the tulku tradition, as well, these discussions of nepotism could be argued to stem from Non-Monastic lineages, those that "went underground" when monastic culture was persecuted.

I am not saying there is not corruption. I just tire of the strident, extreme "revolutionary" tone of modern Buddhist voices.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Raising the question does not imply one fixed answer Cone..

'What are the purposes of Tibetan Monasteries in the post Invasion era' ?
May convey more skillfully what I meant. Particularly as they are largely now divorced from the feudal society in which they functioned.

Motova

Post by Motova »

conebeckham wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:58 pm
Motova wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:40 pm

I prefer a more nuanced view, personally.
Not sure how many of you have spent time in Monasteries in Tibetan cultural areas (or anywhere else, for that matter), but monasteries perform useful functions, on both a mundane level, and in terms of maintaining Dharma transmission.

With regard to the tulku tradition, as well, these discussions of nepotism could be argued to stem from Non-Monastic lineages, those that "went underground" when monastic culture was persecuted.

I am not saying there is not corruption. I just tire of the strident, extreme "revolutionary" tone of modern Buddhist voices.
Fair enough, I admit I've spent next to no time with Tibetans.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”