Setting up a simple altar

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
KiwiNFLFan

Setting up a simple altar

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I'm still very new to Buddhism.

I got a small Buddha statue today and I'd like to set up a small, simple altar in my bedroom (I live with my mother otherwise I'd have it in the living room). I got a picture of Chenrezig Buddha and a piece of paper with the mantra "Om mani padme hum" on it from my local Buddhist centre.

I'd like to get a picture of Tara to put on the wall at the back of the shrine as well (above the level of the Buddha statue which is quite small). I am devoted to Tara and would like to have Her in my shrine as well.

I was thinking of making an image of Tara that I would get printed out. I was thinking of using a Green Tara picture like this one as the main image and surrounding it with small images of the 21 Taras from this site. Or would it be better to simply choose one of the images from that site and use it instead? If so, which one should I choose?

Also, are there any special prayers that you say when you set up a shrine?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Setting up a simple altar

Post by Ayu »

I never heard of such a special mantra. I believe, the mantra you are used to might be best.

In the past, some people shared photos of their shrines in this subforum: viewforum.php?f=115&start=25

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”