question to the Konchog Cidu

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
gyamtsotrinle

question to the Konchog Cidu

Post by gyamtsotrinle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Hii,

Recently I have got the concise version of Konchog Cidu practice. And at the end of practice there is a dedication before a completion phase. Normally, as I am use to, is that dedication is after compeltion phase. So, my question is, what is the reason for that?
Thank you for the answers
Gyamtso Trinle

windoverwater

Re: question to the Konchog Cidu

Post by windoverwater » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

If you are referring to the verses which, roughly translated, express the wish that the wheel of the 12 nidanas, the basis of samsaric appearances, collapse for all beings, who are without refuge and protection....
...those verses are labeled in the Tibetan small print as "monlam" which is an aspiration, not a dedication.

gyamtsotrinle

Post by gyamtsotrinle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 pm

ahaa, yes, ok thank you, so, the dedication I should do normally after phase of completion? Even if there is no in this concise text verse of dedication,.? maybe I have not so right version,..hm,
anyway thank a lot of
Gyamtso

windoverwater

Post by windoverwater » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm

My text, which is in Tibetan, does not include dedication verses either. Perhaps there were not dedication verses specific to this liturgy in the original terma, but I do not know for certain. Maybe a more knowledgeable member here can comment on that.

What I do is chant a generic 4-line dedication prayer at the end. You may know this already because it gets used a lot.
In English transliteration it goes:

GEWA DI YI NYUR DU DAK
(INSERT NAME) DRUP GYUR NE
DROWA KYI KYANG MA LU PA
DE YI SA LA DRUP PAR SHOK

For this practice, I insert ORGYEN PEMA.

The translation of these verses would be something like:
By this merit, may I quickly accomplish [the enlightened state] of Orgyen Pema, and having achieved that may I establish all beings without exception at that level.

Hope this is helpful to your practice.

tranides

Post by tranides » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Just checked in the text and u are righ, monlam prayers are before completion phase - tho after it we always recitate dedication even if its not there (Sang dzie ku sum...). And ill repeat it again and again - its always best to ask your Lama :)

Luke

windoverwater

Post by windoverwater » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes, I agree that asking your lama is best. There may be more specific dedication verses that are customary in your sangha, and it is good to keep your personal practice in harmony with that.

In the meantime, using a more generic dedication stanza is certainly not wrong.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:38 pm

windoverwater wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm
My text, which is in Tibetan, does not include dedication verses either. Perhaps there were not dedication verses specific to this liturgy in the original terma, but I do not know for certain. Maybe a more knowledgeable member here can comment on that.

What I do is chant a generic 4-line dedication prayer at the end. You may know this already because it gets used a lot.
In English transliteration it goes:

GEWA DI YI NYUR DU DAK
(INSERT NAME) DRUP GYUR NE
DROWA KYI KYANG MA LU PA
DE YI SA LA DRUP PAR SHOK

For this practice, I insert ORGYEN PEMA.

The translation of these verses would be something like:
By this merit, may I quickly accomplish [the enlightened state] of Orgyen Pema, and having achieved that may I establish all beings without exception at that level.

Hope this is helpful to your practice.
In this case, it should be PEMA OBAR, since that is Guru P's actual name in this sadhana.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

—Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle, Longchenpa.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 pm

gyamtsotrinle wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 pm
Hii,

Recently I have got the concise version of Konchog Cidu practice. And at the end of practice there is a dedication before a completion phase. Normally, as I am use to, is that dedication is after compeltion phase. So, my question is, what is the reason for that?
Thank you for the answers
Gyamtso Trinle

It completely depends on which arrangement you are using. For example, in my text, it is in the normal place.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

—Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle, Longchenpa.

windoverwater

Post by windoverwater » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Thank you for the correction.

gyamtsotrinle

Post by gyamtsotrinle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Thank a lot of for all answers.
G