Best translation of Mipham Rinpoche's Gateway to Knowledge?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DannyDevitoFan

Best translation of Mipham Rinpoche's Gateway to Knowledge?

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

Can anyone recommend a good translation of Mipham Rinpoche's Gateway to Knowledge?
Thomas Amundsen

Re: Best translation of Mipham Rinpoche's Gateway to Knowledge?

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

There is only one that I know of. Translated by Erik Pema Kunsang and published by Rangjung Yeshe.
Varis

Post by Varis »

If you find the above translation too hard to get begin with, I would also suggest reading Ways of Enlightenment. It's basically an easier to digest introduction to the topics in the khenjuk, although you might find it a tad annoying if you prefer books written in an academic style.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

IMO, EPK's (which Thomas mentioned) is pretty good. It's the only one I know of as well. I think it's well worth looking into/buying.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Patrul Rinpoche in Belgium did an abridgement with facing Tibetan and English text IIRC but yeah the only full translation is by EPK.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

From vol1 page 31 [1,108]
" Full Beauty" Is there a site where words and phrases like this are listed and defined?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:08 am From vol1 page 31 [1,108]
" Full Beauty" Is there a site where words and phrases like this are listed and defined?

If you are looking for something like a glossary for the books, I don't know, but I had a look at the Tibetan and this particular phrase corresponds to "dge rgyas", which is the name of a certain heaven. You can read something about it here: http://dictionary.thlib.org/internal_de ... _term/5592
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:14 am
amanitamusc wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:08 am From vol1 page 31 [1,108]

If you are looking for something like a glossary for the books, I don't know, but I had a look at the Tibetan and this particular phrase corresponds to "dge rgyas", which is the name of a certain heaven. You can read something about it here: http://dictionary.thlib.org/internal_de ... _term/5592
That clarifies it .Many thanks.
I really need to do this for myself and I might even learn some Tibetan.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

amanitamusc wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:37 amI really need to do this for myself and I might even learn some Tibetan.

It's actually not that hard to learn enough to do this kind of thing, I recommend it.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”