Mahamudra & Dzogchen - The differences

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
CedarTree

Re: Mahamudra & Dzogchen - The differences

Post by CedarTree » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm
Is the webcast a broadcast of a retreat?
Yes. I suggest you follow the webcast for the upcoming retreat later in December.
Thanks Malcolm for all the information, I can't really begin to formalize how much I appreciate it.

Practice, Practice, Practice

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:09 am

heart wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:01 am
...According to Tulku Urgyen (and also Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche) a Mahamudra practitioner will naturally start seeing the visions. They might need some instructions to follow the path of Tögal but the visions will start by themselves under the right circumstances.

/magnus

A note about Tsangma Shangton, an early Shangpa master, from "Timeless Rapture":
...Jamgon Kongtrul mentions in the supplication below that Shangton received Great Completion (Dzokchen) teachings, assumed the postures and gazes of Togal meditation, and immediately saw signs that indicated his realization had reached the third of four degrees in Great Completion, "the full measure of awareness." However, he did not continue with that meditation; he explains that he had little faith in the teacher from whom he had learned the techniques...

monktastic

Post by monktastic » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:16 pm
la bzla ba, it means "to transcend." This is merely a similarity in name, i.e. thod rgal as skipping stages. In actuality however, the concept of la bzla ba also exists in Dzogchen, but it has a different usage, while meaning "to transcend".

I had a brief conversation about this issue with Ringu Tulku, based on some speculative statements he made in his book on the RIme Movement. However, in the end he stated to me that the difference between Dzogchen and Mahāmudra was thogal.
Don't know if you're still reading this, Malcolm, but you are saying that la bzla ba is unrelated to thod rgal, correct?
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:44 pm

monktastic wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:16 pm
la bzla ba, it means "to transcend." This is merely a similarity in name, i.e. thod rgal as skipping stages. In actuality however, the concept of la bzla ba also exists in Dzogchen, but it has a different usage, while meaning "to transcend".

I had a brief conversation about this issue with Ringu Tulku, based on some speculative statements he made in his book on the RIme Movement. However, in the end he stated to me that the difference between Dzogchen and Mahāmudra was thogal.
Don't know if you're still reading this, Malcolm, but you are saying that la bzla ba is unrelated to thod rgal, correct?
Yes.

monktastic

Post by monktastic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:44 pm
Yes.
Thank you very much! Does it correspond to a particular point in the Four Yogas model?
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa

AJP

Post by AJP » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 am

Dzogchen - Great Completion, everything is complete in the nature of the mind

Mahamudra - Great Seal, everything is sealed within the nature of the mind

As if it's the same person, with two different names

Teachings I've gathered following Garchen Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”