Questions on death

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tiago Simões

Questions on death

Post by Tiago Simões »

Ok I have two different questions about death. More might come up. 💀

One, In the Tibetan system (and other asian Buddhist systems) it is advised that the body of the deceased remains untouched until the space element dissolves. Does that mean it is unadvised to be an organ donor?

Two, some teachers are of the opinion that some Christian saints might have "transcended the elements(?)" through their own systems of belief, because of the signs they supposedly show at death.
What does this mean? To transcend the elements without attaining liberation? ( For the purpose of this discussion, lets all agree that only Buddha's teachings can result in Liberation, not a repeat of the jesus thread)
Tolya M

Re: Questions on death

Post by Tolya M »

1) The consiousness completely leaves the body when there is a first smell of decay as I remember but I don't know about it's reaction to the post-death surgery.
2) One can "transcend" the elements up to Brhatphala-level without being a buddhist. If I understand your question correctly. It is very high level where death is absent and which kala-agni\vayu\water don't touch but not a liberation.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Tolya M wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:45 am The consiousness completely leaves the body when there is a first smell of decay as I remember but I don't know about it's reaction to the post-death surgery.
So organs wouldn't dacay before that?

Would they still be usable?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

diamind wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:48 pmJust calling it the way I see it. And to reiterate this forum as a spiritual tool is about as useful as a knitted condom. Good for nothing.
Knitted condoms are great for pecker decoration and warmth in the winter months, but this is beyond the point (and blatantly obvious) and it does not answer the main question:

Why are you here?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

tiagolps wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:41 pm Ok I have two different questions about death. More might come up. 💀

One, In the Tibetan system (and other asian Buddhist systems) it is advised that the body of the deceased remains untouched until the space element dissolves. Does that mean it is unadvised to be an organ donor?

Two, some teachers are of the opinion that some Christian saints might have "transcended the elements(?)" through their own systems of belief, because of the signs they supposedly show at death.
What does this mean? To transcend the elements without attaining liberation? ( For the purpose of this discussion, lets all agree that only Buddha's teachings can result in Liberation, not a repeat of the jesus thread)
I imagine dying while in one of the states of jhana, or as someone with some proficiency in them could result in signs similar to what happened to the Christian saints. Buddhism doesn't have a monopoly meditative stability and those results; just a monopoly on having a path which leads to freedom from samsara.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

tiagolps wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:41 pm One, In the Tibetan system (and other asian Buddhist systems) it is advised that the body of the deceased remains untouched until the space element dissolves. Does that mean it is unadvised to be an organ donor?
For myself, it's a choice between me being able to utilise the time of death fully and properly such that disturbing the body would make a difference versus the chance to practise generosity one last time in this life.

Seeing as how even an itch has the power to disturb my meditation now whilst I'm in good health, I'll go with the chance to practise generosity.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”