What to do with leftover Tsog food?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
KiwiNFLFan

What to do with leftover Tsog food?

Post by KiwiNFLFan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 am

I attended a Tsog for the first time last Tuesday at my local Buddhist centre. I got a massive plate of food, most of which I brought home. However, I still have some left over. One of the items probably isn't okay to eat any more. I understand that the food is considered sacred (like Hindu prasad) and you're not supposed to simply throw it in the garbage. What is the best way to dispose of it? Break it up and leave it for the birds to eat? That way it'd still be benefiting sentient beings.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: What to do with leftover Tsog food?

Post by Grigoris » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 am

Giving it to the birds or setting it in a clean and quiet (so it does not get trod on) place outdoors for animals to eat is a good idea.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:10 am

When it is edible give it to your friends and loved ones. When it isn't give to animals as Grigoris said.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:44 am

Your "massive plate" of food reminds me that at Shechen there is a movement underway for "environmentally friendly tsok". When I was last in the big K, my bedroom window looked over a *heap* of torma cakes, bananas and so forth left over uneaten from tsok pujas, and some of the temples seem to struggle to give it away. The movement is part of a wider environmental push. AFAIK the main idea with tsog is a) make it smaller - it's the thought that counts, not the kilograms, and b) don't use plastic plates etc. In fact, iirc, plastic bags are not allowed now in the monastery for any purpose.
See http://shechen.org/about/eco-group/
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

Soma999

Post by Soma999 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 am

I remember one initiation, there was the use of rice, tormas, flowers and so on. At the end, some were saying "the rice is sacred... this torma needs to be taken respectfully...", and the lama just took everything, made a sign of blessing in 2 seconds, took all that and directly to the trash can while laughing.

Well, that went straight to the point.

Sometime we make things way too complicated.

Sometime after puja i take rice and flowers and so on and offer it into nature. That's very nice too.

During tsok, i eat what i can. If there is rest and can't be eaten, i throw it away. I would have live near nature at those times, i would have certainly offer it there. But as nature was not easily accessible... let's adapt to the circonstances.

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am

Lingpupa wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:44 am
Your "massive plate" of food reminds me that at Shechen there is a movement underway for "environmentally friendly tsok". When I was last in the big K, my bedroom window looked over a *heap* of torma cakes, bananas and so forth left over uneaten from tsok pujas, and some of the temples seem to struggle to give it away. The movement is part of a wider environmental push. AFAIK the main idea with tsog is a) make it smaller - it's the thought that counts, not the kilograms, and b) don't use plastic plates etc. In fact, iirc, plastic bags are not allowed now in the monastery for any purpose.
See http://shechen.org/about/eco-group/
:twothumbsup: Glad to hear about that.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”