Santa La Muerte

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Norwegian

Re: Santa La Muerte

Post by Norwegian »

climb-up wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 pm
Mkoll wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:48 pm First thing that comes to mind is that creepy scene with Tuco's cousins in Breaking Bad.

That seemed sweet to me,
but I haven't seen the show. I assume that they are bad guys and that, in context, it's creepy.
Let's just put it like this: They're not friendly.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:59 pm Let's just put it like this: They're not friendly.
Some people prefer laconic to chatty.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Ricky wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:46 am
Dorje Shedrub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 am Many people pray to her to get something or someone they want. She is neither enlightened nor oath bound and she doesn't do something for nothing. Perhaps she us a gyalpo. I advise starring clear.
Could be a gyalpo. Many of her followers sacrifice animals. I've also heard of mexican drug cartels sacrificing humans.
Perhaps more of a mamo, preta(skeletal appearance and very possessive) and/or a yama.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Saint Death is the patron saint of drug lords and criminals. The Roman Church disapproves of her folk veneration, because she is not a person who has ever existed, therefore she cannot be a saint, a glorified person. At best she is a fairy IMO. But the Roman Church does not believe in those either.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

So the statue was erected and unfortunately, I ended up being tempted to pray to her. Before I did so, I took great caution and recited the Simhamukha mantra and Palden Lhamo mantra with visualised offerings and request to protect me, then began the prayer to Santa La Muerte. Rather than use the "In the Name of the Father.....", I used "By the Three Jewels, the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha..." along with a pus and blood offering(pimples can be of use for both, especially as she was once an Aztec goddess, so human flesh seems effective) and she seemed to be beneficial and real.
Are beneficial parts deceit or not? I did a dharmapala practice, so is it okay or not?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

Tenma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm So the statue was erected and unfortunately, I ended up being tempted to pray to her. Before I did so, I took great caution and recited the Simhamukha mantra and Palden Lhamo mantra with visualised offerings and request to protect me, then began the prayer to Santa La Muerte. Rather than use the "In the Name of the Father.....", I used "By the Three Jewels, the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha..." along with a pus and blood offering(pimples can be of use for both, especially as she was once an Aztec goddess, so human flesh seems effective) and she seemed to be beneficial and real.
Are beneficial parts deceit or not? I did a dharmapala practice, so is it okay or not?
If you have to ask strangers on a forum if it's safe, I'd take that as a sign that you shouldn't do it. If you play with matches, you will get burned.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tenma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm so is it okay or not?
Totally not ok. This deity is not a dharmapāla, has sworn no oaths to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Boomerang wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:31 pm
Tenma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm So the statue was erected and unfortunately, I ended up being tempted to pray to her. Before I did so, I took great caution and recited the Simhamukha mantra and Palden Lhamo mantra with visualised offerings and request to protect me, then began the prayer to Santa La Muerte. Rather than use the "In the Name of the Father.....", I used "By the Three Jewels, the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha..." along with a pus and blood offering(pimples can be of use for both, especially as she was once an Aztec goddess, so human flesh seems effective) and she seemed to be beneficial and real.
If you have to ask strangers on a forum if it's safe, I'd take that as a sign that you shouldn't do it. If you play with matches, you will get burned.
Fair enough then. Guess even her followers aren't to be trusted. Then how do I escape? Or is there no need as I did dharmapala practice?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Tenma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm so is it okay or not?
Totally not ok. This deity is not a dharmapāla, has sworn no oaths to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.
If That's the case, what are Simhamukha and Palden Lhamo doing?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 pmThis deity is not a dharmapāla, has sworn no oaths to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.
She's not even a deity, unless she was born in the 90s. Hence why I said 'fairy'. The connection with Mictecacihuatl is New Age perennialism IMO, having seen and read the key sources that link them.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Tenma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:35 pm Fair enough then. Guess even her followers aren't to be trusted. Then how do I escape? Or is there no need as I did dharmapala practice?
You constantly ask questions here but you never accept the answers. And you keep thinking you're qualified to do dharmapala practice. You're not. You haven't received empowerment, transmission, and instruction of them. And again, you asked a question about Santa La Muerte and people gave answers, and then you ignored the answers anyways and went off to pray to her.

Why should anybody care answering your questions again and give you advice when it's clear you don't care what people say? Honest question. It seems like a waste of time. I mean, just curious really.
cyril

Post by cyril »

Tenma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm ... along with a pus and blood offering(pimples can be of use for both, especially as she was once an Aztec goddess, so human flesh seems effective) and she seemed to be beneficial and real.
That's one sure way to piss her off if anything.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

cyril wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 pm
Tenma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm ... along with a pus and blood offering(pimples can be of use for both, especially as she was once an Aztec goddess, so human flesh seems effective) and she seemed to be beneficial and real.
That's one sure way to piss her off if anything.
Mictecacihuatl would love such an offering. Her favourite offering was the blood dripped into a cup directly from an incision in a male practitioner's penis.

That doesn't mean one should offer to her, or that Saint Death is the "same" as her.

cyril

Post by cyril »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:08 pm Mictecacihuatl would love such an offering. Her favourite offering was the blood dripped into a cup directly from an incision in a male practitioner's penis.

That doesn't mean one should offer to her, or that Saint Death is the "same" as her.
Well, the blood of a sacrificial victim = life-force. The drop of blood you squeeze out of a pimple - hardly that IMO.
I totally agree that equating SM with Mictecacihuatl is some New Age BS. If anyone wants to work with SM, they should learn how to do that from those curanderos who know her likes and dislikes.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

cyril wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:08 pm Mictecacihuatl would love such an offering. Her favourite offering was the blood dripped into a cup directly from an incision in a male practitioner's penis.

Well, the blood of a sacrificial victim = life-force. The drop of blood you squeeze out of a pimple - hardly that IMO.
I totally agree that equating SM with Mictecacihuatl is some New Age BS. If anyone wants to work with SM, they should learn how to do that from those curanderos who know her likes and dislikes.
She did not want human sacrifices, she, like most Aztec and Maya gods, loved most sweetly the blood from live male genitals. You can find this substantiated online, if my word is not enough https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodlett ... esoamerica. Search "genitals". The rabbit hole does deeper, though, by far, when it comes to antique Mesoamerican religion.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Is this really a road you want to go down? Remember that all debts will be paid.
Sure these deitys have some power, but there are people with power too who you may not want to get involved with.

Anyways, why so interested in these types of deitys and the dharmapala and all that? The buddha's and bodhisattvas have way more power and will never do you wrong. Don't you know journey to the west? Even the monkey equal to heaven was subdued by avalokitishvara!

You always say your family has their own beliefs, what would they say about you praying to this deity? What about the buddha's teaching on filial piety?

Also, the pimple thing is just completely ridiculous. You should really be careful.
I think your lucky that the vatos who worship at that shrine didn't see you do that.

What did you ask her for anyways?
cyril wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 pm Well, the blood of a sacrificial victim = life-force. The drop of blood you squeeze out of a pimple - hardly that IMO.
yes, totally ridiculous
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Tenma,

I've bit my tongue for a while now when reading your posts. Buddhadharma is not a fantasy game. Please either work directly under a Teacher or content yourself for the time being simply reading sutras. As stated above, you're gonna get hurt. Several others have already made this recommendation to you. Please take it to heart.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:34 pm

She did not want human sacrifices, she, like most Aztec and Maya gods, loved most sweetly the blood from live male genitals. You can find this substantiated online, if my word is not enough https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodlett ... esoamerica. Search "genitals". The rabbit hole does deeper, though, by far, when it comes to antique Mesoamerican religion.
Just another day on Dharmawheel.
Motova

Post by Motova »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 pm Tenma,

I've bit my tongue for a while now when reading your posts. Buddhadharma is not a fantasy game. Please either work directly under a Teacher or content yourself for the time being simply reading sutras. As stated above, you're gonna get hurt. Several others have already made this recommendation to you. Please take it to heart.
:good:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Just another day on Dharmawheel.
Is it really a day without dharma wheel discussions referencing Wikipedia and blood being drawn from live male penises.

Practice, Practice, Practice

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”