Prayers and mantras

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
MiphamFan

Re: Prayers and mantras

Post by MiphamFan »

I have been to large empowerments IRL as well as watched ChNN's webcasts over the years.

IMO at very large empowerments, you are mainly just listening to stuff through the speakers and won't get any personal contact with the lama anyway. It's really not very different from something completely digital except the ritual assistants will touch your head with the items.

IME, I found ChNN's webcasts more meaningful than any of the IRL empowerments I went to. YMMV.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

MiphamFan wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:31 am I have been to large empowerments IRL as well as watched ChNN's webcasts over the years.

IMO at very large empowerments, you are mainly just listening to stuff through the speakers and won't get any personal contact with the lama anyway. It's really not very different from something completely digital except the ritual assistants will touch your head with the items.

IME, I found ChNN's webcasts more meaningful than any of the IRL empowerments I went to. YMMV.
Same here, I'm glad I've had the experiences I did at empowerments ive done in person, they were certainly precious...but receiving transmission via webcast from ChNN was a shockingly singular experience - even when I wasn't really taking it seriously the first few times.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Tenma wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:26 am
Ricky wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:05 am
Punya wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:14 pm If you use the search function you'll find there's been an extensive discussion on this.
According to my research a full empowerment is not possible through live webcast. Thats what I thought.
Depends on your teacher. If it's Garchen Rinpoche or Namkhai Norbu or a similar teacher, it's alright.
Does Garchen transmit Dzogchen too?
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Josef wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:54 am
Punya wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:14 pm If you use the search function you'll find there's been an extensive discussion on this.
According to my research a full empowerment is not possible through live webcast. Thats what I thought.
Your "research" clearly hasnt been very exhaustive.
As Peter says above, there are many authentic masters who confer full and legitimate empowerments via webcast etc.
A prominent member of this forum said that. You can take it up with him. If I understood him correctly he was saying they are legitimate but were only "meaning" empowerments as opposed to full empowerments. This is regarding ChNN.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Ricky wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:16 pm
As Peter says above, there are many authentic masters who confer full and legitimate empowerments via webcast etc.
A prominent member of this forum said that. You can take it up with him. If I understood him correctly he was saying they are legitimate but were only "meaning" empowerments as opposed to full empowerments. This is regarding ChNN.
Thats ChNN, not all lamas.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
cyril

Post by cyril »

Ricky wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:13 pm
Depends on your teacher. If it's Garchen Rinpoche or Namkhai Norbu or a similar teacher, it's alright.
Garchen Rinpoche teaches extensively on the Yangzab cycle which is essentially Dzogchen
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Josef wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Which lamas would you recommend?
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

O
cyril wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Garchen Rinpoche teaches extensively on the Yangzab cycle which is essentially Dzogchen
I see :thumbsup:
Josef

Post by Josef »

Ricky wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:50 pm
For webcasts? Chnn of course and Garchen are the first two who regularly give webcast teachings/transmissions free of charge.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Josef wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:04 pm

For webcasts? Chnn of course and Garchen are the first two who regularly give webcast teachings/transmissions free of charge.
k k.ill give them a shot and see where it takes me :)
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

cyril wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:25 pm

He also teaches http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... nedek-root
"Hitting the Essence in Three Words"
His root Lama is Khenpo Munsel https://treasuryoflives.org/biographies ... unsel/9929
Garchen Rinpoche is a Dzogchen Master.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Ricky wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:41 pm
Josef wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:04 pm
k k.ill give them a shot and see where it takes me :)
May the Force be with you.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”