Preparation for an Empowerment

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Tenma » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am

Okay, so I found out that my refuge lama is giving an empowerment to Saraswati in June( :woohoo: )
However, I would like to ask, how does one prepare for an empowerment such as this?
Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?
All males who have taken the empowerment of a female deity, could you please give advice?

User avatar
Lobsang Chojor
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:08 pm
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:40 pm

I've not taken an empowerment as a female deity, but for any visualisation just follow the guidance of the lama, during the empowerment they will describe it all to you.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Motova
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Motova » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Know your bladder and bowels. :toilet:
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Tenma
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Tenma » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Motova wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm
Know your bladder and bowels. :toilet:
That's what I'm trying to solve. How does it feel to have extra parts and remove certain parts?

User avatar
Josef
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Josef » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am
Okay, so I found out that my refuge lama is giving an empowerment to Saraswati in June( :woohoo: )
However, I would like to ask, how does one prepare for an empowerment such as this?
Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?
All males who have taken the empowerment of a female deity, could you please give advice?
Many males take female yidams and females take male. Their ultimate state is beyond gender or sex.
It sounds like some visualizing as a female deity will be beneficial for you.
You will get there.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am
Okay, so I found out that my refuge lama is giving an empowerment to Saraswati in June( :woohoo: )
However, I would like to ask, how does one prepare for an empowerment such as this?

May I ask which Lama and empowerment you referring to?

Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am
Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?
All males who have taken the empowerment of a female deity, could you please give advice?

You just keep trying and eventually you'll get used to it. I don't think it's any harder than visualizing yourself with wings or 3 heads or whatever. I personally think there's a lot of benefit in working with one's attachment to one's sex (or is it gender?) in this way.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Lobsang Chojor
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:08 pm
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 pm
Motova wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm
Know your bladder and bowels. :toilet:
That's what I'm trying to solve. How does it feel to have extra parts and remove certain parts?
I think Motova was joking about needing the toilet during the empowerment, but on a more serious note don't worry about it those kind of things they fall away, it's similar to visualising yourself as blue or with many arms, you just need to have the beginning of an understanding of emptiness.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Motova
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Motova » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm
Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 pm
Motova wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm
Know your bladder and bowels. :toilet:
That's what I'm trying to solve. How does it feel to have extra parts and remove certain parts?
I think Motova was joking about needing the toilet during the empowerment...
It's not a joke.

It's really shitty when you're in the middle of a teaching or empowerment and you feel like you are going to pee or shit your pants.
Last edited by Motova on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Pero
Posts: 2125
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Pero » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm
Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 pm
Motova wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm
Know your bladder and bowels. :toilet:
That's what I'm trying to solve. How does it feel to have extra parts and remove certain parts?
I think Motova was joking about needing the toilet during the empowerment, but on a more serious note don't worry about it those kind of things they fall away, it's similar to visualising yourself as blue or with many arms, you just need to have the beginning of an understanding of emptiness.
Hey, taking care of pee pee and stuff before the empowerment is no joke. :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Motova
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Motova » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Hey, taking care of pee pee and stuff before the empowerment is no joke. :D
Next empowerment I take I'll be sure to prepare with laxatives and kegels.

Also I'll probably measure my bladder capacity before, and measure the drink quantities during.
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Tenma
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Tenma » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:52 pm
Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am
Okay, so I found out that my refuge lama is giving an empowerment to Saraswati in June( :woohoo: )
However, I would like to ask, how does one prepare for an empowerment such as this?

May I ask which Lama and empowerment you referring to?

Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am
Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?
All males who have taken the empowerment of a female deity, could you please give advice?

You just keep trying and eventually you'll get used to it. I don't think it's any harder than visualizing yourself with wings or 3 heads or whatever. I personally think there's a lot of benefit in working with one's attachment to one's sex (or is it gender?) in this way.
Lama Kunga Thartse Rinpoche. That's what the Ewam Choden subscription mail said on when the empowerment will be.

Tenma
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Tenma » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Motova wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm
Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Hey, taking care of pee pee and stuff before the empowerment is no joke. :D
Next empowerment I take I'll be sure to prepare with laxatives and kegels.

Also I'll probably measure my bladder capacity before, and measure the drink quantities during.
Don't they provide the empowerment water for body, speech, and mind? What use is the water that you bring? Also, aren't you supposed to fast BEFORE an empowerment?

Tenma
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Tenma » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Josef wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 pm
Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am
Okay, so I found out that my refuge lama is giving an empowerment to Saraswati in June( :woohoo: )
However, I would like to ask, how does one prepare for an empowerment such as this?
Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?
All males who have taken the empowerment of a female deity, could you please give advice?
Many males take female yidams and females take male. Their ultimate state is beyond gender or sex.
It sounds like some visualizing as a female deity will be beneficial for you.
You will get there.
Are these the case because homosexuality isn't "approved?" Just wondering.

Pero
Posts: 2125
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Pero » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Motova wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm
Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Hey, taking care of pee pee and stuff before the empowerment is no joke. :D
Next empowerment I take I'll be sure to prepare with laxatives and kegels.

Also I'll probably measure my bladder capacity before, and measure the drink quantities during.
LOL. I try to avoid eating and drinking before teachings. Drink sparringly during if necessary.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

User avatar
florin
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by florin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 pm
Motova wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm
Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Hey, taking care of pee pee and stuff before the empowerment is no joke. :D
Next empowerment I take I'll be sure to prepare with laxatives and kegels.

Also I'll probably measure my bladder capacity before, and measure the drink quantities during.
LOL. I try to avoid eating and drinking before teachings.
Don't go drunk to an empowerment
Drink sparringly during if necessary.
Like what ? One can ? Two cans ...?
The nature of diverse phenomena is non-dual. This means that both pure vision and impure vision are a manifestation of the energy of the primordial state. Even though in reality there is no duality, everything manifests separately. KG

yosomolo
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by yosomolo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm

1. Bring a notebook and a pen :rules:
2. Use drawings
3. Voice Recorder
4. Find out if there are commentaries after the empowerment
5. When the lama is giving the mantra pronouciation, MAKE SURE YOU SAY IT THE SAME WAY

That's all.

If you wanna make sure you don't go to the loo during the empowerment, wear diapers :toilet:

Or just use a plastic bottle and strap it to your member, front and back :twothumbsup:

Hope that helps

Pero
Posts: 2125
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Pero » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 pm

florin wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 pm
Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 pm
Motova wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm


Next empowerment I take I'll be sure to prepare with laxatives and kegels.

Also I'll probably measure my bladder capacity before, and measure the drink quantities during.
LOL. I try to avoid eating and drinking before teachings.
Don't go drunk to an empowerment
Drink sparringly during if necessary.
Like what ? One can ? Two cans ...?
Little sips (of water). :)
yosomolo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm
2. Use drawings
What do you draw?
3. Voice Recorder
Should ask for permission first, not everyone (or everything) necessarily allows this.
Or just use a plastic bottle and strap it to your member, front and back :twothumbsup:
I do wonder what would happen if you just peed in a bottle right next to everyone. :shrug: :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Tenma
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Tenma » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 pm
florin wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 pm
Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 pm

LOL. I try to avoid eating and drinking before teachings.
Don't go drunk to an empowerment
Drink sparringly during if necessary.
Like what ? One can ? Two cans ...?
Little sips (of water). :)
yosomolo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm
2. Use drawings
What do you draw?
3. Voice Recorder
Should ask for permission first, not everyone (or everything) necessarily allows this.
Or just use a plastic bottle and strap it to your member, front and back :twothumbsup:
I do wonder what would happen if you just peed in a bottle right next to everyone. :shrug: :D
Yeah, number 3 is banned as it is to keep all teachings secret.

User avatar
Sonam Wangchug
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Sonam Wangchug » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Tenma wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am
Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?
All males who have taken the empowerment of a female deity, could you please give advice?
Things are much more flexible than they appear.

Motova
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Motova » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:58 pm

Pero wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 pm

I do wonder what would happen if you just peed in a bottle right next to everyone. :shrug: :D
I wonder if my Lamas would mind if I wore a urinary bag to teachings and empowerments....
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Locked

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mechashivaz, Nyedrag Yeshe, The Cicada and 88 guests