Siddhis/Methods for Fixing Scoliosis

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
TaTa

Re: Siddhis/Methods for Fixing Scoliosis

Post by TaTa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm

:!: 7
Grigoris wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:54 pm
seeker242 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm
I had a yoga teacher in college who cured himself of severe scoliosis just by doing yoga. :smile:
And I almost destroyed my knees doing yoga. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence: it's anecdotal. :smile:
I would say thats the problem with yoga teachers, its hard to find a good one

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 pm

ok, so I found a list of the 8 (there are a few of them) and was wondering if one wanted to try and develop/attain one of them how do they go about it? For example...flying
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm

fa dao,

ime, there are several lists of eight which typically overlap, not one single definitive list.

as for your second question, you would need to apprentice yourself to a guru who held the lay-jor (activity practice for this). then you'd need to do all the preliminary practices, approach, accomplishment, jin-sek, tsa-lung, etc. then you'd need to do a very strict retreat under that guru to develop the siddhi. whether you were able to successfully accomplish the siddhi would depend on the previous factors i mentioned above (such as faith, diligence, etc.) plus the authenticity of the practice, the blessings of the guru, and the purity of one's samaya. if either the teacher's or the student's samaya is impaired, the lineage is broken, the practice is inauthentic or corrupted, one hasn't gotten the pith instructions, or one hasn't done it correctly, then the results won't come.

the last statements about results not coming are based on a conversation i had a couple of months ago with Sangyum Kamala, Chatral Rinpoche's consort. this is Her list, not mine.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 pm

The other way to do it is to go to the top of a tall building and jump off, you'll only fly once, but the view on the way will be glorious! :smile: But seriously, it'll work if you apply yourself diligently to a really good landing technique (and I don't mean tuck and roll). :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:09 pm

thanks for the info...sounds quite extensive
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm

I could have recommended pilot lessons, or purchasing an airplane ticket, but that would have been too boring and obvious. :smile:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Grigoris wrote:
seeker242 wrote:
I had a yoga teacher in college who cured himself of severe scoliosis just by doing yoga. :smile:
And I almost destroyed my knees doing yoga. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence: it's anecdotal. :smile:
You can destroy your knees doing meditation too. :smile:

But it's not entirely anecdotal. :smile:

Serial Case Reporting Yoga for Idiopathic and Degenerative Scoliosis
Loren M. Fishman, MD,corresponding author Erik J. Groessl, PhD, and Karen J. Sherman, PhD, MPH
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4268609/
Conclusions:
Asymmetrically strengthening the convex side of the primary curve with daily practice of the side plank pose held for as long as possible for an average of 6.8 months (AKA Yoga) significantly reduced the angle of primary scoliotic curves.
TaTa wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm
Grigoris wrote:
seeker242 wrote:
This particular guy traveled to India for several years seeking out good ones. Actual yoga teachers, not just some guy/lady at fitness place who took a class on it somewhere. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Motova

Post by Motova » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:00 pm

seeker242 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm
Grigoris wrote:
seeker242 wrote:
You can destroy your knees doing meditation too. :smile:

But it's not entirely anecdotal. :smile:

Serial Case Reporting Yoga for Idiopathic and Degenerative Scoliosis
Loren M. Fishman, MD,corresponding author Erik J. Groessl, PhD, and Karen J. Sherman, PhD, MPH
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4268609/
Conclusions:
Asymmetrically strengthening the convex side of the primary curve with daily practice of the side plank pose held for as long as possible for an average of 6.8 months (AKA Yoga) significantly reduced the angle of primary scoliotic curves.
TaTa wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm
Grigoris wrote:
This particular guy traveled to India for several years seeking out good ones. Actual yoga teachers, not just some guy/lady at fitness place who took a class on it somewhere. :smile:
Thank you. :smile:
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

fckw

Post by fckw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 am

If I was a Buddha who had the knowledge how another could cure scoliosis him-/herself, and someone would approach me asking for cure - would I send the person away telling that this wish is too worldly and the person should first purify his/her mindstream from the idea of getting rid of the disease?

Nah, I wouldn't.

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 am

Grigoris wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm
I could have recommended pilot lessons, or purchasing an airplane ticket, but that would have been too boring and obvious. :smile:
I actually had hang gliding lessons over a weekend a while back...it was cool but not the same as how real it feels in dreams...and would be even better if it could be done while awake...know what I mean?

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 am

I havent read through the Vajra Armor booklet in quite a while but maybe it might be of help for scoliosis?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 am

Fa Dao wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 am
Grigoris wrote:
I actually had hang gliding lessons over a weekend a while back...it was cool but not the same as how real it feels in dreams...and would be even better if it could be done while awake...know what I mean?
Indeed. I bungee jumped one time. That was EXACTLY like the sensation in dreams. But it wasn't flying, it was falling.

I imagine hang gliding would be an excellent feeling. Like the difference between driving a car (flying in a plane) and riding a motorcycle (hang gliding).

tranides

Post by tranides » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 am

fckw wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 am
If I was a Buddha who had the knowledge how another could cure scoliosis him-/herself, and someone would approach me asking for cure - would I send the person away telling that this wish is too worldly and the person should first purify his/her mindstream from the idea of getting rid of the disease?

Nah, I wouldn't.
But you are not a Buddha thats 1 (unless u are :)), and you can aproach Buddha becouse of the klesha thats 2 (unless differently and u are trough all levels of klesha). If u still are working with mental afflictions, then in my opinion best order is to work with klesha first, with right motivation, faith and devotion, and everything else will come naturaly.

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 am

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 am
Fa Dao wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 am
Grigoris wrote:
Indeed. I bungee jumped one time. That was EXACTLY like the sensation in dreams. But it wasn't flying, it was falling.

I imagine hang gliding would be an excellent feeling. Like the difference between driving a car (flying in a plane) and riding a motorcycle (hang gliding).
Yes! exactly right... and ironically, Im scared to death of heights..lol