melong pendant

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

melong pendant

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Shang Shung is out of stock, and I have wanted one for a while.I prefer to have my money go to the DC, but who knows when they will have them again. Does anyone have suggestions for other places to buy them?

I saw some on etsy and other places that also have the Longsal symbol, mostly from Russia....Would you buy one of these? Should I?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
lelopa

Re: melong pendant

Post by lelopa »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 am Shang Shung is out of stock, and I have wanted one for a while.I prefer to have my money go to the DC, but who knows when they will have them again. Does anyone have suggestions for other places to buy them?

I saw some on etsy and other places that also have the Longsal symbol, mostly from Russia....Would you buy one of these? Should I?
http://shop.dzam.org/index.php?route=pr ... path=63_70
Lost In Transmission
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

The older melongs from ChNN have a tiny piece from his own Master's melong in them. Newer ones have metal from a temple. They are mostly silver. So they have a few special qualities, blessed etc.

Try a shout out on Norbunet.

I've seen the copies and they look OK but I wouldn't buy one as it seems to create no funds for the DC. It may not be illegal, unless ChNN protected the design, but I wouldn't encourage them. Having said that, if that's all that is available, maybe buy one and make a donation to the DC as a nod to their lost income?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

lelopa wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 am Shang Shung is out of stock, and I have wanted one for a while.I prefer to have my money go to the DC, but who knows when they will have them again. Does anyone have suggestions for other places to buy them?

Dzam in case it's not clear, is affiliated with the SSI and DC. So I'd buy from them if not available on an SSI site.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Norwegian wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Dzam in case it's not clear, is affiliated with the SSI and DC. So I'd buy from them if not available on an SSI site.
Yes, thanks for clarifying that - I like the Medium (which is actually the largest) size, as it includes the mantra - and they are definitely the real deal. :)

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Ordered, thanks guys!

-Khunu Lama
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Actually tried this, but their order form does not work for me, it demands a fiscal code, and a couple other things that don't apply to the US.
They should have an international bank code they can email you so you can use it online or in your bank. I even managed to pay people in Mongolia that way, so it must be something they can do.
It may be all they are after is your own international code which your bank can provide.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Actually tried this, but their order form does not work for me, it demands a fiscal code, and a couple other things that don't apply to the US.
They should have an international bank code they can email you so you can use it online or in your bank. I even managed to pay people in Mongolia that way, so it must be something they can do.
It may be all they are after is your own international code which your bank can provide.
I just entered all zeros, and the order went through.

-Khunu Lama
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 pm

That's good. :) If it gets rejected later and Paypal won't work for you then PM me and I can try to buy one and forward it to you.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:29 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 pm

That's good. :) If it gets rejected later and Paypal won't work for you then PM me and I can try to buy one and forward it to you.
Cool thanks, my guess is it'll be fine, but i'll hit you up if not. I think the fiscal code was an Italy thing, so beyond that it was just like a normal checkout. Shipping is a bit of course, but that's to be expected;)

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Is it best to wear these melong-side out, or does it matter?

-Khunu Lama
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm Is it best to wear these melong-side out, or does it matter?
Traditionally, the convex side is outwards to repel harmful energy, or inwards to focus positive energy. So if you are just generally trotting about, keep the melong convex mirror outwards. but if sitting in front of ChNN you may wish to wear it the other way around. :)

However, you may wish to consider the 'liberation through seeing' of the Six Spaces mantra, and display it for that reason.

So, .......'it depends'. lol :)

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:14 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm Is it best to wear these melong-side out, or does it matter?
Traditionally, the convex side is outwards to repel harmful energy, or inwards to focus positive energy. So if you are just generally trotting about, keep the melong convex mirror outwards. but if sitting in front of ChNN you may wish to wear it the other way around. :)

However, you may wish to consider the 'liberation through seeing' of the Six Spaces mantra, and display it for that reason.

Mine doesn't have the mantra, just the longsal symbol on one side, and the melong on the other, it is also not convex. So, longsal symbol or melong out?

-Khunu Lama
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Mine doesn't have the mantra, just the longsal symbol on one side, and the melong on the other, it is also not convex. So, longsal symbol or melong out?
I thought they all had a bit of a dome on the mirror side, but I've only seen the bigger ones.

I would wear it with the mirror side outwards.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:10 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:06 pm

I thought they all had a bit of a dome on the mirror side, but I've only seen the bigger ones.

I would wear it with the mirror side outwards.
Suspected as much, thanks!

-Khunu Lama
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

I noticed the dzam webshop is now sold out of the mediums. Any idea who may have one for sale? How are you enjoying yours?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Lukeinaz wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:25 am

I noticed the dzam webshop is now sold out of the mediums. Any idea who may have one for sale? How are you enjoying yours?

It's really beautiful and i'm glad I got it, unfortunately it is already scratched, anyone know how to handle this? Fine grain sandpaper?

-Khunu Lama
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 am It's really beautiful and i'm glad I got it, unfortunately it is already scratched, anyone know how to handle this? Fine grain sandpaper?
Alot of people say that when an amulet is damaged is a sign that you have been protected from some misfortune
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:27 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 am It's really beautiful and i'm glad I got it, unfortunately it is already scratched, anyone know how to handle this? Fine grain sandpaper?
Alot of people say that when an amulet is damaged is a sign that you have been protected from some misfortune
Hmm, I will consider this.

-Khunu Lama
billy hudson

Post by billy hudson »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 am
Lukeinaz wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:25 am

It's really beautiful and i'm glad I got it, unfortunately it is already scratched, anyone know how to handle this? Fine grain sandpaper?
I use jeweler’s polishing compounds with a chamois:

https://www.pjtool.com/jewelers-rouge-chart/

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”