Tibetan divination article

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Tibetan divination article

Post by Mantrik »

pemachophel wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 pm He put His mirror in a bowl of rice. He also lit a lamp or candle. He said some prayers &/or mantra and threw rice on the mirror. once the mirror was "opened," He would answer questions from different people. during the session, there was always someone to write down the answers. at he end of a session, He would close the mirror and put out the candle or lamp. He answered exactly the question that was asked. so if your question was not very clear, so might be the answer. for complicated situations, it was best to ask a series of simple questions.

hope this what you were asking. i'm going out now. ta-ta.
Have a great time. :)
Yes, that is exactly the information I was interested to know. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

pemachophel wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 pmaccording the H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche, in one of His lives, He was Dhadichi rishi, but that's a whole other story.
That's a story I'd like to hear 🙂
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

pemachophel wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 pm He put His mirror in a bowl of rice. He also lit a lamp or candle. He said some prayers &/or mantra and threw rice on the mirror. once the mirror was "opened," He would answer questions from different people. during the session, there was always someone to write down the answers. at he end of a session, He would close the mirror and put out the candle or lamp. He answered exactly the question that was asked. so if your question was not very clear, so might be the answer. for complicated situations, it was best to ask a series of simple questions.

hope this what you were asking. i'm going out now. ta-ta.
Thanks for sharing. Did he use Dorje Yudronma? He used a mirror and not Melong?
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

pemachophel wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 pm not sure about "virgin purity." could be. but, ime, i think it has more to do with the lack of agenda or ulterior motive in the young. no particular expectations, no great ego involvement, no monetary ambitions or desire for name and fame. just a game. no attachment.

i don't know if i've told this story before on DW. if so, i apologize. my paternal grandfather was from the orkneys and he had "sight." when i was in 6th grade, i was picked off the street in nyc to be tested for a new tv show. we're talking about the late 1950s. the tv show was about esp, and i was tested for identifying cards that were being turned over but which i couldn't see. i scored very, very high and was asked to come back for more testing (which got me out of school). however, at a certain point, we started winning silver dollars for each right answer. that put an end to my esp. the money clouded my otherwise niave intuition. at first the money didn't affect me, but as i began winning, i wanted to win more and i started winning less and less. because the drama of the show was based on winning money, i never got on the air. (i still have the silver dollars that i won.)

as a corollary of this, my Teacher was not allowed to ask questions about Himself. this was a samaya of the practice.

yes, i am talking about Acharya Lama Dawa Chodrak. Lama Dawa was also a Tulku. according the H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche, in one of His lives, He was Dhadichi rishi, but that's a whole other story.
Russell Targ, a pioneer remote viewing researcher, had a similar experience.
They set up a protocol for remote viewing the silver market in stocks, and made a lot of money (way more than allowable by chance); but, at some point they stopped doing it as a disinterested experiment and started to really want to make a lot of money...
...they promptly stopped being successful.

I suspect that some are able to do it, but that kind of thing is SO common in psychic and magical literature. Fascinating.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Dorje Yudronma was the intermediary. She is the custodian of the terma He practiced along with Mugdzin Wangpo (Black Dzambhala).

sorry, yes, melong. to me that's a mirror.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:35 am Dorje Yudronma was the intermediary. She is the custodian of the terma He practiced along with Mugdzin Wangpo (Black Dzambhala).

sorry, yes, melong. to me that's a mirror.
I thought Lama Dawa did Red Saraswati divination. Did he not? So Red Saraswati doesn't have a divination? Or is there a difference between enlightened divination and worldly divination?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

yes, it was Cho-kyi Go-cha's Red Saraswati terma cycle that led Lama Dawa to develop His abilities at mirror divination. but Dorje Yudronma is the custodian Protectress of that cycle and She is actually the intermediary Who manifests the visions in the mirror. i have posted elsewhere here on DW the full contents of that cycle.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:00 am
climb-up wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 am Here's a very interesting article on Tibetan styles of divination that I'm sure at least some will enjoy reading:
https://perfumedskull.com/2018/01/12/te ... ivination/

One question, if anyone knows.
I've seen ChNN demonstrate mala divination (although I don't yet have his book). I've also seen books specifically saying not to use the mala (that's used in sadhanas) for divination.
Would a diviner generally have a mala specifically for divination, and another one (or several) for their sadhanas?
Great article, thanks. :)
ChNN has a booklet about Mala Divination which seems impossible to obtain now. Shame they don't make pdf files of the out-of-print booklets.
Of course, there is also the Yudronma dice divination system he has published.
Some shamans use the same system of mala divination and use of the melong. The melong/toli use may well predate Buddhism.
I've not personally heard of using a separate mala.
Sorry for hte thread necromancy but,
The mala divination booklet is currently available from shang shung USA (...or at least, it says it is. I won't know till it shows up in the mail).
Unfortunately the dice divination book completely disappeared from the website, but I assume it will be back at some point.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

climb-up wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:51 pm
climb-up wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 am Here's a very interesting article on Tibetan styles of divination that I'm sure at least some will enjoy reading:

I've seen ChNN demonstrate mala divination (although I don't yet have his book). I've also seen books specifically saying not to use the mala (that's used in sadhanas) for divination.
Would a diviner generally have a mala specifically for divination, and another one (or several) for their sadhanas?
ChNN has a booklet about Mala Divination which seems impossible to obtain now. Shame they don't make pdf files of the out-of-print booklets.
Some shamans use the same system of mala divination and use of the melong. The melong/toli use may well predate Buddhism.
The mala divination booklet is currently available from shang shung USA (...or at least, it says it is. I won't know till it shows up in the mail).
Unfortunately the dice divination book completely disappeared from the website, but I assume it will be back at some point.
Thanks. I'll check it out. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

pemachophel wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 pm (i still have the silver dollars that i won.)
How much silver is in them?
How much would you sell one for?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

fortyeight, just go to a coin store.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

:alien:
Kris

Post by Kris »

climb-up wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for the update.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Dragpo

Post by Dragpo »

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu explains Mo divination

https://youtu.be/hvP2M_XoYB0
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Here's an interesting lecture on Tibetan divination: