Turn daily life into Dharma

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Turn daily life into Dharma

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Big question, but the Four Reminders and the Lojong slogans are a pretty good start.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Better to be alone than in a cult or people with wrong view. The dharma really only needs to function at the level of your own mind anyway. The truth is truth, regardless of how many people believe in it. The Gandhavyuha section of the Avatamsaka Sutra provides us with a number of characters who we would never think of as being spiritual people, yet are great bodhsiattvas. If you're still desperate for good companions on the path, recite the Samantabhadra's Aspiration and Conduct (commonly known as the King of Prayers), especially emphasising this verse: "May I always have the friendship, Of those whose path is like mine, And with body, words, and also mind, May we practice together the same aspirations and activities."

Once you have a bodhicitta mind, every daily activity can be transformed into the dharma. You can learn directly from the source for such bodhisattva conduct, the Pure Conduct chapter of theAvatamsaka Sutra.

Regarding preventing rebirth in the lower realms, that is the most basic point at which your mind can be said to have a dharma orientation. Generally, keeping within the bounds of the five precepts and 10 virtues will assure a higher birth. Combine that with generosity and making aspirations for the human birth and you get the three key causes for attaining a human birth.

There are also some dharani and mantra practices which guarantee that you will not take a birth in the lower realms. Several of the seven Medicine Buddhas have made vows guaranteeing beings who sincerely recite their names will not be born in the lower realms, but Buddha Melodious Ocean of Proclaimed Dharma made the vow that beings born in borderlands (i.e. a place where dharma is not established), under the influence of nonvirtuous friends, committing evil acts, and destined for the lower realms, upon merely hearing his name for a moment will purify their karmic obstructions, meet a virtuous friend, not fall to lower realms, and eventually attain Buddhahood. The Ushnishavijaya (Namgyalma) dharani will also destroy lower rebirths for a person who recites for even a moment.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

I developed faith. This is my main driving force to remembering the Dharma more and more often during everyday chores.

I guess this faith developed through convincedness. And this conviction came from curiosity, studying, pondering and critically reflecting about but most above all being pointed out by teachers I met.

It is worth travelling far to meet a good teacher and there are many good teachers in Europe and coming to Europe. Participation in a few days' retreat has a long lasting effect. I even think it's necessary for the fruit to ripen.

Until then you may also check out teachers' video and audio recordings that can be found in an unprecedented magnitude.

You can btw practise Dharma in any context. You can also practise it in a muslim community or on the loo. But that is probably a dzogchen view.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:58 am Sure, but what you're talking about isn't really Dharma. I mean if you want friends and relationships there's a whole lot of ways to do that outside of Buddhism.
Brunelleschi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 pm I'm practicing so as to not be reborn as a dog or some other animal. I'm talking about having a common frame of reference - not being praised. Of course people need to know. You need to be able to share you experiences with people. What's the point of life otherwise.

Anyway, maybe some people are fine sitting by themselves. But me personally I can't take it anymore. I'm going nuts.
If you're just practicing to not be reborn as a dog or some other animal then you're practicing a worldly vehicle. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want -- although even if you manage to not be reborn as an animal (or worse) in your next life, there are no guarantees as to what happens after that. You might better off with another religion as you've maybe missed the point of what Buddhism is about. Samsara sucks and the Buddhist path is to get out of it.

Christianity and Islam all focus on having strong church/temple communities, if you're looking for groups of people to hang out with and share experiences. If you practice them correctly (i.e., lovingkindness, compassion, moral discipline) they'll keep you out of the lower realms, for a little while at least.

At any rate, back to your original question, turning your daily life into Dharma and being part of a community are (at least in my opinion) two separate things really.
My friend, I was just being snarky. I was raised in a Buddhist household, have read plenty of books on the subject, have taken refuge, Bodhicitta vows, I've spent time in Nepal in a monastery twice (Kopan November course). I've attended teachings. I know what the core tenets and beliefs of Buddhism are.

Honestly fear is a big reason that I practice and it can be healthy and unhealthy. Anyway I think a lot of people in Buddhism say they practice for reason X (to benefit all sentient beings etc) but they're really doing it for reason Y. I've come to realize that I'm going to die - and it's not going to be pretty (your only authentic act as Heidegger would say).

Regarding community. I think there is just a big focus on community in Buddhism - but we're living in a hyperindividualized society and Western Buddhism is a product of that.
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

Cheers guys/gals for all the nice replies despite me being overly negative. It's given me something to think about.
justsit

Post by justsit »

If by "turn daily life into Dharma" you are referring to formal practice, meditation on the cushion, sadhana, etc., that's one thing. Or if you are looking for community, that's a slightly different topic. Other posters have offered suggestions for those.

From another perspective, though, it might help to remember that every moment is Dharma. Life is not separate from Dharma. Breathe in, breathe out, one moment at a time, arising and cessation. You can connect this practice to others if you'd like via tonglen, with each breath taking and sending; you can do it anywhere, anytime. Others don't have to know you're doing it.

Practice never stops; sometimes we just lose awareness. When I notice that I feel unmoored or disconnected, returning to the breath is grounding. Worth a try, maybe.

Hope that helps.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

If you want to introduce Dharma into very ordinary action, you can do it easily.

Here are some exemples :

When you wash your plates, think "may clinging, hatred and ignorance of myself and all beings be washed".

When you scrub the floor "may the dust of obstacles be removed".

When you put on clothes : "i dress myself with this quality, this vibrations".

When you go to work : offer your work as a sacred service, a seva, for all mankind. It's in the mind.

When you feel pain : "through what i feel, may all beings be freed of their pain".

When you are happy : "may everyone share of this joy, may it grow and be shared".

When you see someone suffering , even on tv : "offer medicine buddha mantra".

Meditate, and send love everywhere, chant some mantras as an offering and feel "may you all awakens". It will generates nectar. Do it regularly, and you'll see.

When you take a shower : "i remove all negativity, and all obsurations are purified".

When you feel wind "may this wind take away all my sorrow and the negativity of my mind".

When you look at the sun, feel that you awaken light, love and life in your life. When he rise, fill the sun of wisdom wakes inside you. When he sets, feel like light is offering itself into the world, and partake of this offering.

When you make love, feel that through your partner, you touch the whole universe, and commune with all of life.

When plants grow, say "as those plants grow, may all the teachings of the dharma flourish into my mind".

Nourrish the idea the Buddha is present in everyone, and yourself.

When you walk on the street, bless the street "may all those who come here have there mind transformed into mind of love".

When you see people, bless them (inside). Wish them the best.

When you see people having success, doing good activity, rejoice. Rejoice from the deepest part of your heart.

When you go to sleep, place the intention to meet teachers and light beings and receive teachings and guidance.

When you eat, transform the food into nectar, dedicate it for the highest good of all. Feel you feed the Buddha inside.

You see, there are many possibilities. And i don't even talked about doing sadhana.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Brunelleschi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:27 pm But, how do we do this really? Especially in a non-Buddhist (secular Western) country? :thinking:
Start by generating bodhicitta. Then do whatever everyday life thing you are going to do. Afterward, dedicate the merit.

It helps to insert short intervals of whatever practice you can at specific, scheduled times of the day. Before I eat breakfast, I do this. Before lunch, I do that. Before coffee, I do this. Before I take a piss, I do that. (this and that being whatever practice you are working on.) Just being present while cooking or eating or enjoying sex or whatever is a practice in itself, no?
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Brunelleschi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:58 pm My friend, I was just being snarky. I was raised in a Buddhist household, have read plenty of books on the subject, have taken refuge, Bodhicitta vows, I've spent time in Nepal in a monastery twice (Kopan November course). I've attended teachings. I know what the core tenets and beliefs of Buddhism are.
Hey, on the Internet you never know. :) Myself included, I think a lot of Buddhists know what the core tenets and beliefs of Buddhism are, but still may practice from time to time with only the intention to not be born as a dog. Or to find a girlfriend, or any other number of worldly things.
Brunelleschi wrote: Honestly fear is a big reason that I practice and it can be healthy and unhealthy. Anyway I think a lot of people in Buddhism say they practice for reason X (to benefit all sentient beings etc) but they're really doing it for reason Y. I've come to realize that I'm going to die - and it's not going to be pretty (your only authentic act as Heidegger would say).
I know that feeling. I get stressed if I don't practice each day. I worry about "when am I going to practice today". I fear what will happen to me if I don't. I fear what the next life might be (or if there will even be one). Tibetan Buddhism has a lot of stick in it. But at least the carrots sound delicious. I'd like to abandon that selfish fear but it seems like that's a very long process.
Brunelleschi wrote: Regarding community. I think there is just a big focus on community in Buddhism - but we're living in a hyperindividualized society and Western Buddhism is a product of that.
My dharma center has a pretty big community focus (unfortunately I moved away 7 years ago and it's a 25 hour drive or a day at the airports to get back), but even so I don't think it's the same as what you see in some church communities. We have puja, retreats, etc., but we don't have like "hey lets all hangout and picnic!" or quite as pervasive. Not that it's a bad thing, I think having non-dharma focused events at a dharma center would be odd. Are we going there to practice Buddhism, or to make sure our children marry another Buddhist from the same lineage?
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

Namaste, Brunelleschi

my humble opinion is that before fixing on any given religious/spiritual path, be it islam or buddhism or any other approach, it is more fulfilling and liberating to get in touch with you true self. I am not implying you don't do this already and you have my apology if i am captain obvious here. Any true spiritual path leads to the same destination. Any religious path are full of dogmas. It is rather hard task to separate wheat from chaff. I am not sure as to exact quote, but i think Ueshiba Morihei once said: " In order to get to the ultimate truth, it is necessary always and persistently aspire sincerity ". We are masters of self-deceiving, so many of those who entertain themselves by considering oneself as a buddhist have yet to achieve the level of self-sincerety where they can cut through the bunch of lies and see clearly their true motives and ego tricks. And by saying so i am not excluding myself. Sad thing is that majority of people seek recognition. And many who have failed to achieve it by 'normal', society approved means, like prestige/status/career/money/power are turned to "spiritual" ways, like new-agey stuff, yoga or tibetan buddhism. So my humble opinion is that it is better to first spend time which is necessary to understand yourself. After all, as i believe, there are just 2 paths: you either try to open your heart in order to benefit others or you try to benefit yourself and manipulate others to your advance.
stay open, spread love

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”