Practicing In Location of Great Tragedy

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
CicadaCanto

Practicing In Location of Great Tragedy

Post by CicadaCanto »

A teacher has suggested the benefit of practicing in the location of great tragedies. Such as where people have been murdered or committed suicide. The context is irrelevant. Places of great grief, sadness, and tragedy came up and he said that this is precisely where to practice.

Q: Does anyone have any experiences of this?
justsit

Re: Practicing In Location of Great Tragedy

Post by justsit »

No personal experience per se, other than at deathbeds (mostly when I worked in hospice) and in graveyards; also, a few sites where someone committed suicide.

Here's a report from a practitioner who went on retreat to Auschwitz. https://tricycle.org/magazine/bearing-w ... auschwitz/. Very moving.
jet.urgyen

Re: Practicing In Location of Great Tragedy

Post by jet.urgyen »

CicadaCanto wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm A teacher has suggested the benefit of practicing in the location of great tragedies. Such as where people have been murdered or committed suicide. The context is irrelevant. Places of great grief, sadness, and tragedy came up and he said that this is precisely where to practice.

Q: Does anyone have any experiences of this?
Yes. In my country, around the 70's, the was a militar uprise. In many places militars tortured ans killed many people, as militars exists to do that..

Today most of this places are dedicated to never forget this acts of evil, for this never to happen again.

I used to go to one of this places and do some korwa each friday for a couple months, to mend the spirits. I can say practice feels more alive and all but it like an outer practice, like the outher chöd.

Having respect is paramount.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”