Blessing Images?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Blessing Images?

Post by Tenma »

So I finished out drawing and coloring for a concept folder for APWH Shakyamuni surrounded by Manjushri, Green Tara, Chenrezig, Vajrapani, Saraswati, and Phrae Mae Throani with deities and spirits paying respects to the Buddha(a random yaksha, a random naga, Shiva, Brahma, Lakshmi, and Indra) while Mara, his 3 daughters, and a demon are being washed out by a river at the bottom by Phrae Mae Throani.
Now that I'm done, how can I bless this folder to act as a "thankga" or some holy image? This is the only excuse for me in Buddhism when explaining to my parents, so I would like to know now what I can do to bless this(without an hour and a half empowerment, nor a bunch of cham dances, nor a dathar, nor the use of other ritualistic items like vajras and so on, etc.)? Can I just use mantras(if so, which ones)? Or how do I bless these?
tranides

Re: Blessing Images?

Post by tranides »

Thangka is something more than painting and comes from deep understanding of religion, symbolism, proportions, angles, lines, colours, shapes, positions, every single piece painted or used have its meaning. As i understand the process its not the bless that makes thangka, its every single moment of its creation by skilled artist who had his training from master who got his training from master etc. Blessing is just a cherry on the top of the process.
I myself would show the picture to my Lama and ask him about permission to use it as sacred object (so he can see if the painting is properly made) and ask to bless it.

Luke
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

the way i've been taught, one should not try to bless a rupa (image of a Buddha) until one has completed the three roots sadhanas of their lineage. when a qualified practitioner consecrates an image, it is no longer just an image. it is equal to that Buddha. any prayers or offerings made to that rupa are equivalent to making those prayers and offerings in the presence of that Buddha. so it requires some actual spiritual power based on a lot of hours of practice, typically in retreat.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

tranides wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm Thangka is something more than painting and comes from deep understanding of religion, symbolism, proportions, angles, lines, colours, shapes, positions, every single piece painted or used have its meaning. As i understand the process its not the bless that makes thangka, its every single moment of its creation by skilled artist who had his training from master who got his training from master etc. Blessing is just a cherry on the top of the process.
I myself would show the picture to my Lama and ask him about permission to use it as sacred object (so he can see if the painting is properly made) and ask to bless it.

Luke
Hmmmm....So the image can't become a "thangka" or anything like that until the lama inspects....
What can I use instead of an image? Visualization? Or what?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I've been told by a couple people (whom I trust) that pretty much any practitioner can recite Ye Dharma Hetu over their rupas. I don't know if counts as a quality blessing or not, and I assume it's just a personal blessing thing, like you wouldn't do it for someone else because you're not in any position to...that was my impression at any rate. Thangka's specifically have all kinds of methods as to their creation, and i'm sure all kinds of blessings I don't know about. I would (ask with many things) establish trust in a Lama or teacher and then ask their opinion.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=21118&p=309981&hil ... ar#p309981

A related thread of mine
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If you cannot get a blessed image by a lama then the one you made will suffice. Your practice will bless it until you can find a lama to do it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Tenma wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:46 pm
tranides wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm Thangka is something more than painting and comes from deep understanding of religion, symbolism, proportions, angles, lines, colours, shapes, positions, every single piece painted or used have its meaning. As i understand the process its not the bless that makes thangka, its every single moment of its creation by skilled artist who had his training from master who got his training from master etc. Blessing is just a cherry on the top of the process.

Luke
Hmmmm....So the image can't become a "thangka" or anything like that until the lama inspects....
What can I use instead of an image? Visualization? Or what?
Anyone can make art inspired by the Dharma, and needs no one's permission to do so. Indeed though, creating actual thangka is an art that AFAIK is somewhat 'standardized'. That said, blessing objects etc., personally I would get the info of a teacher I trusted. Why not just make art inspired by the Dharma? IMO art in that category automatically carries a blessing of sorts, if only on the side of increased faith and aspiration for it's creator. Really, no credential is required for that.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
tranides

Post by tranides »

I have found this: http://www.thangkapaintings.com/thankap ... rocess.php seems like the process is even more complicated than i have initialy thought.
And about images inspired by Dharma - i do agree that noone needs anyoones permition to make them. But to use them as an object of practice is a different story imo. Its like i would have a vision (and im nowhere near realization) and decided to paint deity and then to pray to it. How can i be sure its not my imagination, or some mundane spirit, or just a character from fantasy book i red years ago? Thats why i would go to my Lama and would ask him about it :).

Luke.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”