Question about removing christian/etc. baptism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
PeterC

Re: Question about removing christian/etc. baptism

Post by PeterC »

From a Buddhist perspective there is nothing to remove.

From a catholic perspective it can never be removed.

Take your pick
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

PeterC wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:04 am From a Buddhist perspective there is nothing to remove.

Take your pick
I understand, but i'm not on philosophycal/theoretical presumtions.

Btw guys, is not the name "baptism" my business on this, but the bound made to this deva...
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 am
PeterC wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:04 am From a Buddhist perspective there is nothing to remove.

Take your pick

Btw guys, is not the name "baptism" my business on this, but the bound made to this deva...
Sorry, I was being cryptic. My point was that accepting the Buddhist perspective is the removal. Similar to the zen story of the two monks and the old woman by the river.
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

Perhaps right now, at this very moment the following post is being written on a Korean Christian forum:

"Oh, please, help me, my friends, when I was young my parents took me to a Buddhist temple to take refuge in front of those satanic idols, how do I remove that??? I want to be a good Christian!!!"
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 am

Take your pick

Everyone has infinite bonds with other beings. They cannot be removed through some ceremony as far as I know.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... s2c1a1.htm
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Ah, don't worry that much. If you want to, read the thread about Aro that is there at the moment. That messed with my worldview a bit and made me think a bit.
But hey, trust refuge. Refuge is supposed to chase away demons and etc. (story in Words of my prefect teacher). So why shouldn't it be enough to keep you away from one deva (or gyalpo).
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 am Btw guys, is not the name "baptism" my business on this, but the bound made to this deva...
Unless you were baptised as an adult, you made no conscious bound to any deva, so don't worry... And even if you did, you owe nothing to him.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:44 am
DGA wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:36 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 am I mean to remove this "empowerment", if you forgive me the expression.
Stop believing in the power of baptism and it will have no power of you.
Not that simple
I find it to be just that simple. I was baptized and it has no power over me and I didn't need to do anything in particular to "remove it". :smile: Baptism is just irrelevant, it doesn't mean anything.

Actually, it means you have the "seal of God", but God doesn't exist so that doesn't matter. And it means you have original sin removed, but there is no original sin either, so that doesn't matter either!
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Meditate on emptiness? :shrug:
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I was baptized as an infant, left the church, then returned in adulthood and very intentionally renewed my baptism with confirmation. But then I was introduced to Buddhism.

In Buddhism we recognize an infinite number of unwholesome bonds. We call them attachments. They do not arise through ceremonial ritual and they are not overcome by ritual. They are overcome with right view, right thought, and right action.

Like a child who is terrified by unseen monsters at night, when the child matures enough to realize the monsters are products of its own mind, the monsters are quietly dispelled.

As I see it now, the One God, like all beings, arises interdependently but without substantial existence. Yes, there are unseen beings, and yes you were offered up to this God, but the power of any being over you and the reality of this God are entirely matters of your belief in them, not an inescapable magical enchantment that requires counter-magic.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:21 pm Ah, don't worry that much. If you want to, read the thread about Aro that is there at the moment. That messed with my worldview a bit and made me think a bit.
But hey, trust refuge. Refuge is supposed to chase away demons and etc. (story in Words of my prefect teacher). So why shouldn't it be enough to keep you away from one deva (or gyalpo).
Oh, one ocupation at the time.
So it seems, refuge in the three jewells is enough.

I want to thank you all. I had my reasons on asking.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
philji

Post by philji »

You cannot unbaptise..your stuck with it...... now look at your mind. 😜
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

philji wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm You cannot unbaptise..your stuck with it...... now look at your mind. 😜
I found a way 😎

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

This question has arisen here in the UK. Baptism is involuntary when carried out on a baby.

I believe the remedy chosen by some was to physically hand back their baptism in the form of a document rejecting what was done to them without their consent.

The Christian Chirch of course will not accept such a document.

One thing I did was to change my name, choose my own. In the UK you can simply do this, and it is legal, but institutions like to see a piece of paper 'proving' that you have changed your name.

So you can reject your baptism formally, on paper, and change your 'given name' as well. ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

My name is ok, and i love my parents, i think a change of name would be disrespectful also.

🙏

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 pm My name is ok, and i love my parents, i think a change of name would be disrespectful also.

🙏
That was not my main point, which was that if you wished to reject your baptism in some way, you could formally return it to the Church. They may not accept that, but you can.

In Buddhism a person can hand back the vows they took. Christianity is incredibly arrogant in assuming you have no rights to return your baptism, and deserves to be challenged.

As a child you do not consent to the baptism process, so as an adult you can choose to accept or reject it.
Last edited by Mantrik on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 pm
philji wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm You cannot unbaptise..your stuck with it...... now look at your mind. 😜
I found a way 😎
Would you like to share?
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 pm My name is ok, and i love my parents, i think a change of name would be disrespectful also.

🙏
That was not my main point. MY point was that if you wished to reject your baptism in some way, you could formally return it to the Church. They may not accept that, but you can.

In Buddhism a person can hand back the vows they took. Christianity is incredibly arrogant in assuming you have no rights to return your baptism, and deserves to be challenged.

As a child you do not consent to the baptism process, so as an adult you can choose to accept or reject it.
Oh, i see
Lhasa wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 pm
I found a way 😎
Would you like to share?
Since one reason why i ask is a shitro nyam, seems to be that shitro can do because baptism is a samsaric relation, is in terms of karma, so i can purify that.

krodha

Post by krodha »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 amBtw guys, is not the name "baptism" my business on this, but the bound made to this deva...
Even the presumption that the religion in question is connected to some sort of deva is lending a bit too much credibility in their direction, in my opinion.

I was baptized as a child and attended Sunday school before a series of instances such as the church giving my younger brother wine at communion causing him to barf all over the sanctuary area and then trying to take away his most loved and favorite teddy bear in order to donate it because "Jesus died for our sins." Unreal. My mother decided enough was enough and we never went back.

I couldn't give a shit if I was baptized or not, you really shouldn't either. It means less than nothing. My son is being raised without religion, and can decide when he's older if he wants to follow one. Hopefully he has the karma for the buddhadharma, we discuss it here and there but I don't push it on him and refuse to condition him.

Baptism is a meaningless representation of allegiance to a false system of belief.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

krodha wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:16 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 amBtw guys, is not the name "baptism" my business on this, but the bound made to this deva...
Even the presumption that the religion in question is connected to some sort of deva is lending a bit too much credibility in their direction, in my opinion.

I was baptized as a child and attended Sunday school before a series of instances such as the church giving my younger brother wine at communion causing him to barf all over the sanctuary area and then trying to take away his most loved and favorite teddy bear in order to donate it because "Jesus died for our sins." Unreal. My mother decided enough was enough and we never went back.

I couldn't give a shit if I was baptized or not, you really shouldn't either. It means less than nothing. My son is being raised without religion, and can decide when he's older if he wants to follow one. Hopefully he has the karma for the buddhadharma, we discuss it here and there but I don't push it on him and refuse to condition him.

Baptism is a meaningless representation of allegiance to a false system of belief.
That is why I like the ritual of confirmation in the Catholic church. Though I believe that it should take place at a later age as kids (in the West) seem to mature much later in life than 12-13 (unlike in the past when they would already be working and preparing to get married).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”